Carrot Pulp Muffins - any ideas on how to modify?

Options
YUM! I make juice almost every day, so I find myself with an abundance of pulp that usually gets thrown out. So I went looking for a recipe and tried this one today:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/1977-11-01/Carrot-Pulp-Cookery.aspx?page=2

I added about a teaspoon of fresh ground ginger. Also, I would double or triple the cinnamon next time.

The texture is wonderful and they are quite filling.

I baked them at 350 degrees F for about 30 to 35 minutes in paper muffin liners so they wouldn't stick to the pan. Yield is 12 muffins (fill each one quite full) I keyed in the recipe and came up with the following for nutrition:

Per Serving: Cal 241; Carb 29; Fat 13; Protein 3; Fiber 2

If anyone has any ideas on what to substitute for some of the oil, I'd love to hear them. The only downside I can see is the high fat content. Maybe applesauce?

Replies

• artadvocate3
    artadvocate3 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Applesauce is a great substitute for oil or eggs. You might also try a mashed banana!
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Ooooo, applesauce AND banana might be nice! It would add some nice flavors I think, while still keeping decent texture. Personally, I don't think oil is too bad, depending on the kind you use. I've replaced all my oils with either olive oil (for cooking) and saffola oil for cooking AND baking, because of the monounsaturated fatty acids (a.k.a MUFA's, the "good" fat). I don't know how they compare in baking with the usual vegetable oil as far as flavor or texture (can't really tell), but at least it's that little bit "healthier" lol But yeah, I agree with applesauce and bananas if you wish to completely omit the oil!

Love and Alohas,
    Ihilani Kapuniai