Eat before or after???

Options
i was wondering when the best time it is to exercise before or after you eat? im starting the 30ds and ive read that some have gotten sick/not felling well after or durning this work out....i dont want that to happen to me so any advice would help.....thanks

Replies

• tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't try working out immediately after a big meal, but other than that, you can probably be pretty flexible. I've done 30 DS, and Jillian's longer circuit training workouts at all times of the day and it hasn't been a problem for any.

If I run first thing in the morning, I like to have a small snack, like a small granola bar, before, but not much more.
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I can't workout without fuel. I always eat 15-30 minutes before a workout in order to give me the energy I need to power through at the intensity that I enjoy. If I don't eat, I ALWAYS find that my workouts aren't nearly as good as when I do eat.

That's just my experience, though. Some people prefer to do a 5km run before breakfast. I, personally, can't because I nearly pass out, lol, but hey, all the power to em.
  • LetsGetIt76
    Options
    Def. no big meals before - yuck! I usually have something small, like a piece of whole wheat toast with 1 tbsp of natural peanut butter, and about 1/4 of a protein shake. After the workout I'll have the rest of the protein shake.
  • LetsGetIt76
    Options
    Sorry - that's about 30-45min before I workout...left that part out...
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Personally for me, I need a small snack before I work out. I can't focus or push myself when my stomach is growling, nor do I have any fuel to go! I never have, but assume working out after a large meal wouldn't be fun either!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I do much better eating AFTER my workouts. But always have a protein shake before.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    For me it depends on the workout I am going to do, so i will give you some examples of what I do.

If I work out in the morning and I know it's going to be strenuous (i.e. 30+ mile bike ride) I will have a small bowl of grits or a banana for fuel. Small, with lots of carbs for energy but nothing with too much fiber. If the workout is going to be hard because it's long in duration or requires a lot of strength like weight training, eating a small meal prior to will help keep you going and keep you from hitting the wall! Obviously, you want to eat with plenty of time to let it digest.... say an hour.

If I workout in the morning and it's just a light workout (i.e. one mile run) I will wait and eat afterwards. A shirt, easy workout will not require a lot of fuel so you can wait.

If I work out in the evening after work or something I usually rely on what I've eaten during the day to carry me through. i will have a snack (a piece of fruit) a couple hours prior. This again depends on the level of intensity. If it's a long bike ride, I make sure I'm fueled up. If it's a short run, I don't necessarily need the snack but I'll have it anyway.

So, in a nutshell, if it's going to be a tough one, have something small.... if its a light workout, you can wait til afterwards.
  • danniellexxx
    Options
    I do it after breakfast, after lunch and after dinner, around 10-20 minutes each time... works for me...
  • Michael_23
    Options
    Have a small meal 15-30mins before you workout, mainly a carbohydrate filled food, moderate proteins & fats. Immediately or 15-30mins afterwards a high protein meal will benefit you.
  • AviaBatyah
    AviaBatyah Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    If I eat before I get sick :sick:
  • sew1222
    sew1222 Posts: 241
    Options
    thanks guys for all the help....i think im going to eat something small 15-30mins before first and if this dont work then ill eat nothing...seems like you just kinda have to do with what works best for your body...guess i need to start getting in tuned with mine :)
  • Luthorcrow
    Options
    @SassyCalyGirl
    I do much better eating AFTER my workouts. But always have a protein shake before.

That's my combo or a grande no foam latte instead of the protein shake about 45-60 minutes before working out and lunch immediately after. You need have some fuel before hand and you should always eat a good protein rich meal after to take advantage of your elevator MBR after working out (you burn more calories the first 1-2 hours after a strenuous workout).