Tell me about Potassium

My diary shows I'm short of potassium but I guess that's because potassium isn't recorded properly in foods.

What importance is attached to potassium and should I bother about my levels?

Thanks
Nick

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Potassium helps your muscles work properly. It prevents muscle cramps and keeps your heart doing its job. It's important.

You're right, it's not properly recorded because the FDA doesn't require it on labels, but even with that, many people don't get enough potassium. You can do a Google search and find a list of potassium-rich foods, but my personal faves for quick, easy potassium are low-sodium V8 (over 1000 mg in a 10-oz glass) and a baked potato eaten with the skin.
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Potassium is one of the nutrients that your body is very good at regulating. It is found in loads of foods so it is virtually impossible to not get enough (actual starvation/malnutrition excepted). The levels in your body will be affected much more by your fluid intake than the amount you are eating - unless you have a kidney problem, ie excessive water intake could lead to low levels.
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    I think you're right, its not measured enough on MFP?

My husband has high potassium. While his kidneys work just fine, there's a hormone that doesnt help flush potassium like normal peeps. AND his sodium is low, almost shocking to doctors how balanced it is. He's been on a low to NO potassium diet for 2yrs and takes a steroid to help flush the potassium. Even with his diet of 1000mg or less a day, his levels are still a bit high of normal range.

Is there a reason you need more in your diet? Doctor's advice?

The obvious high potassium foods are tomatoes, potatoes, bananas. Here's a link that I've used often to help DH's diet plan.

http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/food/potassium-foods.htm
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,247 Member
    My diary shows I'm short of potassium but I guess that's because potassium isn't recorded properly in foods.

What importance is attached to potassium and should I bother about my levels?

Thanks
    Nick

It is potassium that is responsible for keeping your heart beating. Approximately 4,700 mg per day is the recommended amount.