Heart Rate Monitor Calorie Counters

Options
So... I got a new Timex Personal Trainer Heart Rate Monitor for Christmas, and I just used it for the first time for my last workout of 2011.

I entered in my weight (though the monitor doesn't give me a gender or height option), and I hopped on the ArcTrainer (also entering my weight on the machine and using it without leaning on it for support, etc). 30 minutes later... the machine said I burned 515 calories. Much to my surprise, the HRM said 630!

When I log my exercise on here, I typically only enter 75%-85% of the calories that the machine tallies since I had always thought that machines tended to overestimate. Now I'm a little unsure which figure I should tally my 85% from and wondering whether I could actually be burning more than the machine says.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks & Happy New Year!

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,248 Member
    Options
    Timex HRM are know to over calculate calories due to the things you mentioned, sex and height are not put in. That means it uses a person of a height which is likely different than your, and I am pretty sure it is for a male instead of a female making it even more over for females. Thus it is unlikely you burned more than the machine said.