GARMIN FORERUNNER 210

Options
I have been walking everyday for a year. I can count on one hand how many days I have missed walking. But in Oregon it is wet and miserable and it has become challenging to continue. I received a GARMIN FORERUNNER 210 as a recent gift and my oh my has walking become fun!

In the past I would walk and record my minutes on MFP. Now the GARMIN tells me my miles per hour, calories burned and distance. Also is a watch and stop watch. I love it. It has motivated me to keep on truckin into the New Year. Today I averaged 16. 4 minute miles, walked 5.8 miles and the GARMIN said I burned 510 calories while MFP recorded at 470.

Any other GARMIN FORERUNNER members out there?

GO DUCKS,
Shirley (in Springfield, Oregon)

Replies

• jenna715
    jenna715 Posts: 201
    Options
    I've been looking into this model for myself. Does it bother you that it doesn't display calories burned during the workout and only after?

Also, used with the heart rate monitor, can it track calories burned for any aerobic exercise? I want to use it for running and walking, but also just to count heart rate based calories burned during aerobic classes, elliptical, and anything else.

If this model can't do those things, can anyone recommend one that does? Thanks!!
  • kimmie185
    kimmie185 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I do own a Garmin Forerunner, I absolutely love it! The GPS feature is very useful.

When I use it for aerobics, I keep track of my heart rate throughout, take the average and calcualate my calories burned in a calculator.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I've owned the Garmin Forerunner 305, twice over a period of 7 years. I loved it as well. Sadly, one succumbed to puppy teeth, the other, lost recently after a race. I hate the thoughts of spending the money on another one but I miss it so much. I keep hoping it is going to turn up, I am sure I brought it home (hoping the same but much older puppy has hidden it on me, he is past the chewing so not worried about that)

Juelman - yes you can use the heartrate montior indoors for activites that don't require the GPS and get readings. Some models have HRMs that take the HR into account when figuring calories burned, others don't. Sorry I don't know which ones, would have to do research. You can still find your average heartrate and plug it into a formula like this one and get a good estimate on calories burned.
    http://www.triathlontrainingblog.com/calculators/calories-burned-calculator-based-on-average-heart-rate/
  • tamcrit
    tamcrit Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I received the Garmin 210 in November as an early Christmas present from my husband...he wanted me to have it for the half marathon that I ran in November. I LOVE it!! Being able to constantly monitor my pace, helped me to achieve a new personal record in my half!! I wear the HRM for all fitness activities and love knowing my actual calories burned. To answer one poster's questions...I do not mind only being able to see calories burned at the end, because I just use it to log in MFP for my activity. Also, related to the actual calories burned question...Garmin models that end in '-10' use the actual HR to calculate an accurate calories burned number. The models ending in '-05' and others, use an average and formula calculation, so the calories burned numbers are not as accurate. I learned this through my research prior to getting mine, because I had the same question. Hope that helps...It is a very motivating tool for me!!
  • Zoekat05
    Zoekat05 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Yes, the -10 models are more accurate with respect to calories burned. If you want a model that displays calories burned during your workout, the 610 does that. I have the 610 and it is a fabulous watch, albeit a bit pricey. However, given that I use it 5 days a week at minimum, it is a good value.
  • andrea9873
    andrea9873 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I've had my 210 for 4 days now and I am enjoying it quite a bit. I have a question on the HRM and how accurate the Calories burned number is. I left it on after my 30 minute run and then I began to strength train (legs) so lots of squats lunges using kettlebell and weights so it recorded all that activity and had me burning a total of 456 for a 55 minute period. Does this sound right? I shaved off 100 calories to record on MFP just in case it's over-estimating my burn. Thanks
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I had a Forerunner 305 which has since been replaced by a 610 (touchscreen, smaller form factor.......boys & their toys) keeps me honest about logging my mileage and it's very cool to look back and see pace improving, heart rate going down.

Whenever I've compared my calories burned to the general rules of thumb it's been close enough that I'd say I'm happy with the accuracy.
  • hsrunningmom
    hsrunningmom Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have the Forerunner 405CX. I absolutely love it. My husband got it for me when I started training for my first marathon so I could keep track of just how many miles I was running. I don't mind that it doesn't tell me how many calories I've burned until I download the information. I do love that it tells me my distance, pace, and average pace among other things.
  • beckifitzg
    beckifitzg Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

I am thinking about getting the Forerunner 210.

I just wanted to check, does it do real time pace?

I would love to be able to tell it that i want to run at a certain pace and to have it tell me if I am going too fast/slow.
  • beckifitzg
    beckifitzg Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have finally found a review and apparently it does, if anyone else is wondering.

It can't tell you when you are going the wrong pace though. I can't really afford to pay more to get that option.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

I am thinking about getting the Forerunner 210.

I just wanted to check, does it do real time pace?

I would love to be able to tell it that i want to run at a certain pace and to have it tell me if I am going too fast/slow.

Don't know about the 210 but the 610 has a "virtual partner" feature which will give you real time feedback as to desired vs actual pace (you can also customize the display - my pace is displayed constantly ion training mode)
  • SouthernSkylark
    SouthernSkylark Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I have just bought a 305 from eBay... It came with the hrm and footpod.I love it and it is especially good when you download your training info on to the laptop, shows speed, cadence, distance ,calories, how high you climb during a run and that's just what I've discovered so far!:happy: