How I increased the pace of my weight loss without cutting c

Options
Fellow MFPers,

I started trying to lose weight in July 2011. Since then, I had lost an average of 1.4 lbs a week. But there was a lot of losing and gaining the same amount over and over again. I felt that if I were a little more regimented about my life, I could prevent most of the ups and downs, and lose a little more every week. So, for the last 3 weeks, I have been trying the following plan, and have succesfully increased my weight loss to 1.7lbs/week:

1. Getting 8 hours of sleep every night. No exceptions.
2. Drinking 8+ glasses of water everyday. No exceptions.
3. Sticking to calorie limit (1400-1600 calories, approximately 100g of carbs, 100-140g of protein, minimum 25g of fiber). I worked with my dietician to come up with these numbers for my particular physical needs. My BMR is 1600. I did not cut my calories (I was eating in this range before these 3 weeks).
4. Doing 60 minutes of cardio 5 times a week (Zumba, walking, elliptical, stationary bike etc.) No exceptions.
5. Strength training for lower body and abdoments 3 times a week. I injured my wrist recently, so no strength training for my upper body.
6. Doing 10 minutes of yoga everyday. Unfortulately, after a couple of weeks of this, I got really bored and stopped doing yoga.
7. Taking at least 5000 steps a day to keep my NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis) up. I wear a pedometer, and if the number at the end of the day is lower than 5K, then I hop on my treadmill in front of the TV and walk until I reach 5Kl). No exceptions.
8. Taking multi-vitamins and fish oil every day. No exceptions.

I am sharing this in the hope that someone will find this list helpful. Please remember that not everyone responds to the same activities similarly. So this may or may not help you (and you should always consult your doctor if you want to change something up). But this really helped me increase my fat loss, and I wanted to share.

Best of luck to every one of you, and Happy New Year!!

Replies

• lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    You have some very sound rules there. I will have to print them out and try this. Thanks!
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    best of luck :)
  • med79
    med79 Posts: 288
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I need to get back on track and your rules look like a great place for me to start!!
  • mumof5
    mumof5 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    great rules, just wish i had a little will power and a nanny so i could put them into place!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,270 Member
    Options
    Thanks great timing for me as I think about my plans for this coming year
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,270 Member
    Options
    Thanks great timing for me as I think about my plans for this coming year
  • meganld
    meganld Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    bump
  • danmoffett
    Options
    I've lost 145 pounds in the past 21 months. How I did it:

I don't count calories. I enjoy the freedom of eating all I want. You can't overeat on good food, it's a fact.
    I don't exercise to lose weight. Now that I have lost a lot of weight I have so much energy that I want to exercise, but not a lot and not because I do it to to lose weight.
    I live a low carb high fat lifestyle.
    I eat lots of good fats like coconut oil, olive oil, butter, and cream.
    I eat protein like beef, chicken, and fish.
    I don't eat any sweeteners.
    I don't eat wheat products.
    I don't eat starches.
    When I eat bread it is made from coconut flour, almond, flour, or flax meal.

FREEDOM!
    At 57 I feel better than I have in oven 25 years.
    I hope to lose about 15 more pounds in the coming year.
  • TinaS70
    TinaS70 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    bump
  • allykattt
    Options
    I was telling my sister about you tonight...I had mentioned your "no exceptions" list & how you recently reached ONEderland. Thanks for being a great resource/encouragement here on MFP. I love having you as a friend.
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Thanks allykattt :)
  • mcovillion
    Options
    i started out very strong and have been slacking a little, especially on the water. thanks for getting me re-energized!
  • salzej01
    salzej01 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • helena260
    helena260 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great tips!!! I really need to follow your no exceptions with getting 8 hours of sleep!!:wink:
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Ruby Red, for the good sound plan. It is all absolutely healthy advice too. I try to do that most of that except for the "no exceptions" part so I'm dedicating 2012 to getting this last 20 pounds off! Thanks for sharing your plan - which is a very healthy way to do it!
  • karenhs2
    karenhs2 Posts: 197
    Options
    Thanks for the great tips!!! I really need to follow your no exceptions with getting 8 hours of sleep!!:wink:

The sleep really does help! I have been having this as a rule for myself and it makes a difference. Possibly especially for women of a certain age but I think it would help anyone.
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Fellow MFPers,

I started trying to lose weight in July 2011. Since then, I had lost an average of 1.4 lbs a week. But there was a lot of losing and gaining the same amount over and over again. I felt that if I were a little more regimented about my life, I could prevent most of the ups and downs, and lose a little more every week. So, for the last 3 weeks, I have been trying the following plan, and have succesfully increased my weight loss to 1.7lbs/week:

1. Getting 8 hours of sleep every night. No exceptions.
    2. Drinking 8+ glasses of water everyday. No exceptions.
    3. Sticking to calorie limit (1400-1600 calories, approximately 100g of carbs, 100-140g of protein, minimum 25g of fiber). I worked with my dietician to come up with these numbers for my particular physical needs. My BMR is 1600. I did not cut my calories (I was eating in this range before these 3 weeks).
    4. Doing 60 minutes of cardio 5 times a week (Zumba, walking, elliptical, stationary bike etc.) No exceptions.
    5. Strength training for lower body and abdoments 3 times a week. I injured my wrist recently, so no strength training for my upper body.
    6. Doing 10 minutes of yoga everyday. Unfortulately, after a couple of weeks of this, I got really bored and stopped doing yoga.
    7. Taking at least 5000 steps a day to keep my NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis) up. I wear a pedometer, and if the number at the end of the day is lower than 5K, then I hop on my treadmill in front of the TV and walk until I reach 5Kl). No exceptions.
    8. Taking multi-vitamins and fish oil every day. No exceptions.

I am sharing this in the hope that someone will find this list helpful. Please remember that not everyone responds to the same activities similarly. So this may or may not help you (and you should always consult your doctor if you want to change something up). But this really helped me increase my fat loss, and I wanted to share.

Best of luck to every one of you, and Happy New Year!!
    Excellent! You're on a very good track!

I can vouch for almost everything you said!
    - I do about 80 minutes of weight training and 40 minutes of cardio 5x a week (Monday-Friday)
    - I binge on protein, I'm on a high protein regiment and aim for 40-50% of my calorie intake to be from protein and start with a protein shake first thing in the morning to jump-start my metabolism.
    - I also take a MV and fish oil every morning and evening. I drink 8+ oz. of water
    - I drink 64 oz (8 cups) of water/day, no excuses, and consume 1 cup right before each meal.

Keep up the great work! I've been losing at a much more extreme rate but I'm sure I'll hit a roadblock shortly.
  • mumof5
    mumof5 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I've lost 145 pounds in the past 21 months. How I did it:

I don't count calories. I enjoy the freedom of eating all I want. You can't overeat on good food, it's a fact.
    I don't exercise to lose weight. Now that I have lost a lot of weight I have so much energy that I want to exercise, but not a lot and not because I do it to to lose weight.
    I live a low carb high fat lifestyle.
    I eat lots of good fats like coconut oil, olive oil, butter, and cream.
    I eat protein like beef, chicken, and fish.
    I don't eat any sweeteners.
    I don't eat wheat products.
    I don't eat starches.
    When I eat bread it is made from coconut flour, almond, flour, or flax meal.

FREEDOM!
    At 57 I feel better than I have in oven 25 years.
    I hope to lose about 15 more pounds in the coming year.

thats great that you feel so good but...butter?? cream?? good fats?? have you had your cholesterol checked latley? these may not put fat on your thighs but what about your arteries?
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Great thread. Subscribing.
  • carlypreiss
    Options
    Bump