Help.. I hate fruits and most veggies....

Options
2»

Replies

• Barb503
    Barb503 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Finally! Someone who is like me! I've tried and tried to "retrain" my tastebuds and it hasn't worked. I have found, in my many attempts to "retrain" my tastebuds that the majority of fresh fruits and vegetables make my mouth sting and with many I break out with sores in my mouth. There are just a few veggies I can tolerate cooked and I can eat berries. So I try to squeeze in some berries and one of the few veggies I like on most days.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I don't like most fruits and veggies either, and they don't like me. Not counting garlic and onions and various spices that go good on hamburgers.

So I take a multivitamin and krill oil as well. Doesn't seem to be doing me too much harm. I do drink grape juice sometimes, but it doesn't always like me, either.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    do you like soups ?

would you prefer cooked veggies over raw? what about with a sauce or dip ?
  • jbosey
    jbosey Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Im not too keen on RAW vegetables but started taking a WHOLE FOOD suppliment that a doctor told me about to help fill in for the lack of raw fruits and vegetables in my diet. A lot of folks think they are really helping themselves by eating cooked vegetables, however outside of the fiber and being being able to convince themselves they are getting enough fruits and vegetable, they arent getting the nutrients out of the vegetable that they need. Heat destroys most of what you need from the vegetables. The 5 -7 servings per day that you are supposed to be taking should be RAW fruits and vegetables...who does that???

The problem with vitimins is that often they end up in your intestine undissolved, plus you do not get the multitude of other nutrients that are in the vegetable or fruit. An apple has a lot more than vitamin C in it. Eat an apple or an orange instead of taking high priced vitamins. Whole food is so much better for you than taking vitamins.

I have been taking Juice Plus in chewable form for the last few months (they also have it in capsules). It is dehydrated whole food fruits and vegetables.. I also occassionally have a Juice Plus complete shake which tastes like a chocolate shake that has the required servings of fruits and vegetables included. This is the only fruit/vegetable whole food suppliment that has hundreds of PUBLISHED clinical studies in medical journals of the great results of this product. Its not a hoax. I do not sell it but I do take it.
  • reddebsings
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear you don't like fruits and veggies, but everybody's taste buds are different! I love fruits and veggies myself, and I'm not advocating that you NOT eat them, but since you seem to not be able to tolerate many, it can't hurt to supplement your diet with stuff that will add the necessary nutrients. I actually love fruits and veggies, but I also use a supplemental powder called "Super Greens". You can add it to water or juice. I personally prefer it with diet green tea myself! There are several varieties from which to choose depending on your personal diet needs! I have to warn you though that this is also not for everybody - but maybe worth trying? Good luck! I hope you find a way to stay healthier that suits your own taste buds!
  • Leapy75
    Options
    This shows you how far removed from healthy food the US has strayed. I suggest you get over it, learn to cook and only visit the outside aisles in the supermarket.

Sir, don't act like you know me please. I cook very well. And I have tried to eat these things since I was a child, and still try to eat them on occasion to "retrain" my taste buds as everyone calls it. So thanks, but no thanks for your "input".

Hi Mandi,

What are your favorite things to cook? It might be easier to start with what you DO like, then figure out how to add veg into those foods. There are a varying opinions about the value of "sneaking" vegetables into foods, but if you start gradually and gently adding vegetables into your diet, it might help. There were some good suggestions about adding pureed vegetables... There are also a few cookbooks designed for people who don't like vegetables--called something like the Sneaky Chef? (As for multivitamins, you can try it but your body won't absorb them nearly as well as the nutrients in food.)

Good luck!!
  • beautyreaps
    Options
    That's depressing from a nutritional point of view ): There are endless benefits you can retain from eating fruits & vegetables. Supplements and multivitamins don't always save the day, most don't even dissolve fully and can't be used by the body.

I would suggest sneaking your servings in: cauliflower in your mashed potatoes. They won't change the taste, just the health benefits. A banana in your next chocolate smoothie. Spinach spaghetti, there's no taste difference; it's green and that's the only give away that it's healthy. Other than that, it's tasteless and goes well with any sauce you make; which you can add pureed veggies into. Try sweet potato fries, some come packaged at the store, they taste great with ketchup. Puree veggies and add it o your meatloaf, the meat will over power any taste and you'l get a veggie serving.

If you're not convinced to at least try some of those methods, then keep this in mind: Vegetables and fruits are naturally low calorie = easier to incorporate into meals and satisfy hunger without filling you out. Many vegetables are hydrators and as such will make up for the water you may lack (hydrators clear skin, keep skin firm and support vital organs). Vegetables are fibrous; your digestive system will love you. I can easily go on, but in the end the choice is yours. Living with a cleaner diet has far too many perks to list in a single post.