Sugars

Options
TyatKU
TyatKU Posts: 31 Member
Since I've been counting calories now (about a week, lol) I've noticed that every day I go over my daily intake of sugars by about double. I didn't think that I was coming close to the sugars I was needing until I noticed this. For example, I had 16 ounces of Vanilla almond milk and that nearly put me at my max for sugars of the day!

Am I too dependent on sugars? I feel like even fruit has too much sugar in it. How does everyone avoid sugars so well?

Replies

• HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I dont avoid it.

I dont even track it. I have no medical conditions or history, so no need to. I'm up to double my limit every day according to my reports, and ive never felt better, fitter, healthier.

So, i wouldnt worry too much.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing weight, it's something to look at. For some of us, sugar can cause too much insulin which in turn makes us insulin resistant and sugar ends up as FAT. So, I would say tolerance for sugar is determined by the individual.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I don't track it, but if I did, I certainly wouldn't worry about the sugars in fruit, veggies, nuts, etc., They're good for you. They're rich in vitamins and minerals, and in the case of nuts, fats. I'd worry about added sugar- corn syrup, sucrose, etc., Again, that's IF I tracked it, and I don't.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    P.S. MFP's default sugar settings are crazy low.
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I found this article enlightening for sugar: http://lifehacker.com/5809331/what-sugar-actually-does-to-your-brain-and-body

Do whatever you feel is working best for you. It can be hard to regulate any particular intake of food.
    I, personally, consciously try to avoid as much sugar as possible. I still consume it, but I don't go crazy with it.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Since I've been counting calories now (about a week, lol) I've noticed that every day I go over my daily intake of sugars by about double. I didn't think that I was coming close to the sugars I was needing until I noticed this. For example, I had 16 ounces of Vanilla almond milk and that nearly put me at my max for sugars of the day!

Am I too dependent on sugars? I feel like even fruit has too much sugar in it. How does everyone avoid sugars so well?

I changed the default under settings..since most of my sugars are natural from fruits, i don't worry so much..
  • TyatKU
    TyatKU Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I particularly liked that article from CommandaPanda! I think as long as they are natural sugars in fruits I should be ok. Thanks guys!