Healthier family

Options
I need to help my family and me eat healthier at dinner time...I was thinking about adding more veggies and portion size the food better...any tips or suggestions???

Replies

• GettingThin08
    Options
    I need to help my family and me eat healthier at dinner time...I was thinking about adding more veggies and portion size the food better...any tips or suggestions???
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I phased out much of the white starches for dinner. Little by little I added more veggies and less pot/pasta/rice. Now they dont even notice there is no white stuff on the plate!!

:flowerforyou:
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Try using the salad plate instead of the dinner plate. Now I think it's odd when I have such a big plate anywhere.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a great idea. Try splitting up the plates at dinner time-- 1/2 veggies, 1/4 protein, 1/4 starchy carbs. Keep the conversation going so that people have time to wait between their first and seconds helpings, as it takes about 20 minutes to register fullness. Make sure everyone drinks a cup of water with dinner. :smile:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I phased out much of the white starches for dinner. Little by little I added more veggies and less pot/pasta/rice. Now they dont even notice there is no white stuff on the plate!!

:flowerforyou:

:laugh: Well that takes care of the munchies then :laugh:
  • GettingThin08
    Options
    thank yall so much...I think I will try that only problem is a got sumone that dont like veggies!!!!!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    My son used to hate cooked veggies but he would eat raw ones. I used to cut up a plate of raw veggies ( carrots,celery, broccoli, cauliflower ..you name it) and put it on the kitchen table where the kids were doing homework and I was cooking the rest of dinner

They would think they were so bad stealing vegetables.

Even if you put the veggies out with a light dip, your non-veggie eater may eat some
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    A way to help portion size is to not bring the pots/pans to the table. Divy everything out at the oven then bring it to the table. Then you have control over portion size.
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    My son used to hate cooked veggies but he would eat raw ones. I used to cut up a plate of raw veggies ( carrots,celery, broccoli, cauliflower ..you name it) and put it on the kitchen table where the kids were doing homework and I was cooking the rest of dinner

They would think they were so bad stealing vegetables.

Even if you put the veggies out with a light dip, your non-veggie eater may eat some

I've found that if it's easy for my kids to eat (and they see me eating it), they'll eat it too. I have a container of cut up celery in the fridge and my 7 and 4 yo were begging for some!
  • GettingThin08
    Options
    What can I do for a 19 year old that dont like veggies?