ANYONE WHO'S STUDYING AND WORKING FULL TIME?

Options
HI GUYS, ANYONE WHO'S STUDYING AND WORKING FULL TIME? I AM STARTING NEXT MONTH, MY OWN PLACE, STUDYING FULL TIME AT UNIVERSITY AND POSSIBILITY WORKING NIGHT TIME FROM 7PM TO 2AM AT A SHOP WHICH ILL PROBABLY BE COMING BACK HOME BY 3 OR 4 DEPENDING WHAT TIME WE FINISH CLEANING UP AND THEN DRIVING BACK TO MY HOUSE AND THEN WHEN I WAKE UP AT 7AM TO WORKOUT PROBABLY TILL 8 OR 9 BEFORE CLASSES START, I WILL ONLY END UP SLEEPING 3 HOURS A DAY TO 5 MAX!

.AND I WAS WONDERING HOW DO YOU MANAGE YOUR TIME FROM STUDYING AND WORKING?

I'M WORRIED ABOUT THIS. SHOULD I TAKE SOME PILLS THAT WILL KEEP ME AWAKE? YOUR SUGGESTIONS? AND FOR EXERCISE THAT'S ALL SORTED, SINCE I WILL LIVE 10 MINS AWAY FROM MY UNI, I CAN JUST GET UP AT 7AM TO 6AM AND GO THE GYM WORK OUT OR WORKOUT LATER AT NIGHT IF I DON'T HAVE WORK WITH MY ROOM MATE.

Replies

• zoso23
    zoso23 Posts: 1
    Options
    Pills probably aren't the best idea. Maybe drink some tea because its good for you and has some caffeine in it. Make sure you plan your meals ahead of time so your not struggling throughout your busy day to find healthy food to eat. Definitely work out in the morning because you will probably have more energy than at night after a long *kitten* day. Just make sure to keep your exercise consistent and it doesn't have to be long, just keep your intensity up and you'll make progress because at the end of the day it is all about calories in vs calories out so if you couple that with consistent exercise you'll be fine.
  • DenverKos
    DenverKos Posts: 182
    Options
    I work 2 part time jobs and go to school full-time. It's hard - very hard. It takes a lot of planning as you have to account for every minute of your day in order to get your homework done. Last semester I was writing 30-50 page labs WEEKLY for ONE class; so I still had homework in my other classes, too.

No, pills aren't the answer, and you will certainly need more sleep than 3 to 5 hours a night. I don't want to be negative, just trying to be honest. You will crash and burn if you try to carry on for an entire semester on only 3 to 5 hours of sleep, and your studies will suffer for it. It also depends on what kind of a student you are, and what kind of grades you want to get - are you just trying to get through the program and graduate by doing the least amount of work possible to get grades "good enough" to pass (nothing wrong with that - like I said, it's hard to juggle all these things!), or do you really want to apply yourself to your studies and get the best grades that you possibly can? The second takes a lot more time than the first.

Do some self evaluation, and prioritize what's important. If you can, schedule your classes to coincide to either immediately follow your work schedule or be right before you have to go to work so that you have a good amount of time to sleep in between rather than having "spare" time in between work and school and no real block of time to sleep. I spent 5 years working and swings and graves, and it takes some getting used to without being a student! So, if you start school at 8am, only go to classes until noon or 1, go home and sleep until 6pm then go straight to work, study between work and school, then go to school. If your work schedule is set, you might be better off taking after noon classes, start at noon, go to school until 5 or 6 pm if possible, then straight to work. That way, when you get off you can go to sleep at 3am and get some good rest in until 10 or 11am before you have to go back to school. You will basically have no social life! :)

When midterms and finals come around and I'm up late at night or early to study and write papers and only get 3 or 4 hours of sleep for a week, it KILLS me! I'm literally, physically sick and exhausted from it. Be honest with yourself - you can't sustain that kind of schedule. Good luck!
  • cmm7303
    cmm7303 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

I'm a mom, full-time student and I work part-time. I sleep about 6 hours a night, if that, and it is ROUGH. If there's any way you can sleep between school and work, I'd suggest you do so, or, like someone suggested below, see if you can get your work time closer to your school time.

As for working out: One of the best things I did was to get ankle weights in 5 and 10 lbs, and wear them ALL THE TIME. I broke my leg last year, and am just now able to put that back into practice. You'll get much more out of your walking, standing, and moving with the extra weight. Also, do prep all your meals ahead of time, so you aren't short of time and tempted to grab something on-the-go.

The journey you're on (school and work) isn't an easy one, but if you persevere, you'll find great rewards at the end.

BTW, what are you studying?