TIME MANAGEMENT: FOR PEOPLE WORKING AND STUDYING FULL TIME?

Options
xginanax
xginanax Posts: 333 Member
HI GUYS, ANYONE WHO'S STUDYING AND WORKING FULL TIME? I AM STARTING NEXT MONTH, MY OWN PLACE, STUDYING FULL TIME AT UNIVERSITY AND POSSIBILITY WORKING NIGHT TIME FROM 7PM TO 2AM AT A SHOP WHICH ILL PROBABLY BE COMING BACK HOME BY 3 OR 4 DEPENDING WHAT TIME WE FINISH CLEANING UP AND THEN DRIVING BACK TO MY HOUSE AND THEN WHEN I WAKE UP AT 7AM TO WORKOUT PROBABLY TILL 8 OR 9 BEFORE CLASSES START, I WILL ONLY END UP SLEEPING 3 HOURS A DAY TO 5 MAX!

.AND I WAS WONDERING HOW DO YOU MANAGE YOUR TIME FROM STUDYING AND WORKING?

I'M WORRIED ABOUT THIS. SHOULD I TAKE SOME PILLS THAT WILL KEEP ME AWAKE? YOUR SUGGESTIONS? AND FOR EXERCISE THAT'S ALL SORTED, SINCE I WILL LIVE 10 MINS AWAY FROM MY UNI, I CAN JUST GET UP AT 7AM TO 6AM AND GO THE GYM WORK OUT OR WORKOUT LATER AT NIGHT IF I DON'T HAVE WORK WITH MY ROOM MATE.

Replies

• i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I don't think thats gonna work.....

why not just workout later in the day? Why 7am...?
  • xginanax
    xginanax Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I don't think thats gonna work.....

why not just workout later in the day? Why 7am...?

i like morning workout and i dont have to put up with people at uni gym either staring or being to packed and also i like to just get rid of the things i dont like first.. then go on with my day so i dont have to keep wondering "oh man i got work out to do"
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I work full time and study full time also. My biggest tip. Work your schedule out first, even if it means taking a week to let it all set in - then just fit your exercise in around it. There are lots of programs/apps for managing your time, and lots of suggestions regarding cooking/planning/preparing your meals out there too. It can be done!!
  • godricshollow
    godricshollow Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING? jks :flowerforyou:

Don't take any pills to keep yourself awake! Just go when you can go. Even going for a quick walk during your breaks will be good for you. If you're willing to get up at 6/7am and workout, then sure. Or you can just go to the gym whenever you have a day off, rather than trying to squeeze everything in one day and losing sleep.
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Will you be working 5 days a week on those hours? - its a lot of hours per day on top of uni - remember you will need time to work on assessments and study. If you are using the weekend to catch up on study - you will also need time to catch up on your sleep. Its going to be hard doing a full weeks work and doing full time uni on top of that. If you have no choice but to take on that, I suggest you just concentrate on getting used to uni and the working with just trying to be active and eating healthy until you have adapted to the workload then see if there is spare time to fit in exercise.

I am in my final year at uni but last year was a nightmare, my husband had severe depression and needed a lot of support, I was worried about one of my lads who had agorahobia and depression and I was running the house, working my weekend job, trying to support all my family and keep on top of uni work. I took a lot of pro plus as I wasnt sleeping and fell aslee in lectures more than once as it was about 5 hours travelling I had to do to get to uni. It is difficult juggling and I was working far less hours than you are proposing.

what you may want to do is work out how many hours you actually have each day, and what you can do with them. utilise the wasted time ie I used to print off the journals in advance so that I could use the bus and train journeys as study time. Plan the night before all that you want to fit in so that you are organised without thinking about it.

I am now doing far more in my final year, my home is running smoother, I am getting to the gym more, I also do an evening class as well and I am able to support my family more - it just takes a lot of forward planning and visualisation.

Is there a gym at the uni that you can maybe fit in a session if you have a couple of hours between lectures - you could split it between study and exercise - it would be good to do the exercise first as its great for getting the brain fired up.

sorry for the huge post, hope it helps :)
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Forget the morning workouts ... sleep is imperative to a healthy self ! Even working and going to school at the same time is a challenge within its own ... so to add more to that you will need to plan accordingly ! Your workouts Monday thru Friday should only be 45 to 60 min max ... on the weekends, hit it hard .... two to three hours if possible. Make sure you LOVE every bit of your workout, if not find something else to do ! Build a regimen you look forward to doing ... knowing in advance that this will very hard to maintain ... you must remain positive and stay completely focused ! You can do this, alot of people do ... and the rewards are spectacular ! Good luck on your journey ... make every day count ! :)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    like another poster said, let the schedule work itself out first for a week or so. you only need 30 minutes to get a good work out in. i like to have the gym to myself when i can, but sometimes thats not possible. sleep is important, so you need to get that. no point in going to the gym if you're going to be a zombie.

and stay away from energy pills and drinks. they're ok for a burst once in a while, but not every day (says the coffee junkie).
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I dont think there is any easy way to be honest.... this very well could be me this year as well, however I will be working fulltime and studying at night (thats if I can get into the course) The main thing is to eat healthy, get enough sleep and to keep active.. there is no use sacrificing your health trying to juggle life.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I think your safest bet is to look for a different job that won't have you working so late. Is your class schedulte pretty full all day, or are there a few days you could really fit in either a workout or some hours a job during the day time? Also what kind of job is it? When I was in college I waited tables in fine dining restaurants. You worked the least amount of hours for taking home the most amount of money. I worked lunch at one place and dinner at another and had my classes around it. I would work out at home at night, but still be in bed by 11 (unless I was partying...)
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    you need to sleep. i work/go to school full time as well. workouts get in there everyday for the most part but not at the sacrifice of enough sleep. no sleep pills/drinks/potions necessary
  • lydiaaram
    Options
    Don't take any tablets to keep yourself awake, it will spoil your health in future. Try using some time management software to manage your time and daily schedule.

Recently, I have come across one such tool called Replicon's time tracking software ( http://www.replicon.com/time-tracking-softwares.aspx ). Try out that software or take some time management training where it helps to develop your time management skills and you can reach more effective results in less time.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Buy a fitbit. On top of uni and working, will you really need to work out as well? Sleep is more important than the gym.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Getting 3-5 hours of sleep per night is going to screw up your immune system, and you'll probably end up gaining weight because when the body doesn't get enough sleep, it demands more energy in the form of calories. Not a good plan. If it is financially necessary for you to work, find a job that doesn't cut into your sleeping hours. For example, when I was in college, I worked at a coffee shop where my weekday shifts were something like 4:00-10:00 PM, and that was reasonable.

Here's an additional time management tip. Do you watch TV? If yes, stop that. It's remarkable how much TV people who complain about "having no time" watch.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    HI GUYS, ANYONE WHO'S STUDYING AND WORKING FULL TIME? I AM STARTING NEXT MONTH, MY OWN PLACE, STUDYING FULL TIME AT UNIVERSITY AND POSSIBILITY WORKING NIGHT TIME FROM 7PM TO 2AM AT A SHOP WHICH ILL PROBABLY BE COMING BACK HOME BY 3 OR 4 DEPENDING WHAT TIME WE FINISH CLEANING UP AND THEN DRIVING BACK TO MY HOUSE AND THEN WHEN I WAKE UP AT 7AM TO WORKOUT PROBABLY TILL 8 OR 9 BEFORE CLASSES START, I WILL ONLY END UP SLEEPING 3 HOURS A DAY TO 5 MAX!

.AND I WAS WONDERING HOW DO YOU MANAGE YOUR TIME FROM STUDYING AND WORKING?

I'M WORRIED ABOUT THIS. SHOULD I TAKE SOME PILLS THAT WILL KEEP ME AWAKE? YOUR SUGGESTIONS? AND FOR EXERCISE THAT'S ALL SORTED, SINCE I WILL LIVE 10 MINS AWAY FROM MY UNI, I CAN JUST GET UP AT 7AM TO 6AM AND GO THE GYM WORK OUT OR WORKOUT LATER AT NIGHT IF I DON'T HAVE WORK WITH MY ROOM MATE.

When I was at University I didn't have my own place, I shared with other students.

But at least that way I spent less and got more than 3 hours sleep and could have a life!

Your problems are probably more about financial management than time management.
  • casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you can do it. I had a 9am - 6pm(sometimes 7 or 8 pm) full time programmer job and went to school to study engineering. I did skip a lot of classes(went only to the mandatory ones) and my grades weren't very good, but I managed to finish my studies on time. I did this for 2 years and I was very tired, but I don't regret the experience because I learned a lot.