Zumba Questions!!!!!!!

Options
Anyone has tried Zumba??? I've heard a lot about it...but dunno how effective it is....????

I normally used to do turbo jam...which i think is quite fun..so i was looking for a similar fun workout and found out about Zumba......but the problem is i have no information about how effective it is... and how fast it helps to lose weight n tone the muscles ...etc......

can anyone share any personal experience with Zumba...and also is it better than Turbo Jam.... ??? Thanks!!!! :drinker:

Replies

• RuchikaPal
    RuchikaPal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    anyone?? :frown:
  • LJGmom
    LJGmom Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Depending on instructor and how hard you go at it you can burn 700 calories an hour....I think I burn about 400 in a 45 min. Class. I just got a heart rate monitor, so I'll find out Tuesday!
  • LJGmom
    LJGmom Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    You feel stupid at first, but after a few times it gets to be a lot more fun.
  • JenMarie826
    Options
    I love Zumba! It took me two or three times to fully get the moves and what not. But it made me sore after I first did it the first time but hey that means it worked! :) Just go your own pace and then when you feel comfortable step it up :) It is soooo much fun!!!
  • aurie024
    aurie024 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Def depends on the instructor! I went to a couple and the instructor was not great. The music was slow and the workout was slow. I didn't even break a sweat. depends on what you like I guess. Some instructors have face paced new music and go hard... thats what I like
  • sharonfincher1
    sharonfincher1 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have taken Zumba classes for 2 years now, I love it. I have both editions on the Wii and I use them often. The instructor and the music make a huge difference in if u will like the class or not. I have been lucky most of the instructors at my gym are good, and I get a good 400 calorie burn in about an hour. (5'2" 126 pounds) It has helped with my stamina, muscle tone and waistline trimming...
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    It definitely depends upon the instructor. I think what they normally say is you can burn about 500 calories an hour. Calorie burn depends upon so many variables though, so who knows. It took me ages to get the moves down, but my instructor mixes it up frequently. Also, a few weeks after I stared Zumba I found out I was pregnant with our third child. I continued doing Zumba until I was about 7 or 8 months along.

My instructor is extremely fit and does a lot of Zumba, but she also does pilates, yoga, strength, etc. I don't think you'll get super fit on Zumba alone. All of the ladies and gentlemen I've seen who's only exercise is Zumba aren't particularly fit.
  • nwncmtnangel
    Options
    It is a lot of fun. It is offered at my work, after hours, as part of our wellness program. A friend of mine is the instructor. She always tells us no one is watching you, they are too busy worrying about what they look like, so just have fun with it, and if you don't get the moves, don't worry about it as long as you are moving. she says you can burn 800-1000 cal an hour
  • numbersign
    Options
    i love dance and over the years have done ballet, tap, ballroom, and am now on flamenco. i have been to zumba classes and they are a lot of fun and certainly burn the calories but..... if you can't tell your right foot from your left , or can loose the beat of the music within 2 steps then zumba may not be for you. The other thing i noticed was that it can use a lot of dance jargon which may be unfamiliar, i.e. pivot turn, cha cha cha, ball change. It may take a few visits before you get into the rythm of the class but I would definitely give it a couple of whirls
  • luvtrails
    luvtrails Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to Zumba. It really is about the instructor though~ I lost a dress size when I first started, doing it 5 times a week for an hour. It is the only indoor exercise that I will do. Two years-4 days a week!!
  • mandycasey
    mandycasey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I love zumba and cant wait to get back to my classes - i usually do 3 classes a week 2 zumba and one zumba toning. would recommend to anyone xx
  • anzabeth
    Options
    I love Zumba. I usually burn between 500-600 calories in an hour. My instructor rocks. Here's the deal. Your first class you I'll feel like an idiot because you won't know the moves and it is fast paced. The cool thing is that the instructors usually use the same songs each week. Mine adds 1 or 2 new ones per month. So, the more you go the better you learn the routines and the more fn you have. Don't get discouraged. Give it a few classes and you will be hooked!
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Love it. Just fantastic. I have become friends with the instructor and several other ladies over the past year or so, it has been the most positive recent change in my life.
  • RuchikaPal
    Options
    It definitely depends upon the instructor. I think what they normally say is you can burn about 500 calories an hour. Calorie burn depends upon so many variables though, so who knows. It took me ages to get the moves down, but my instructor mixes it up frequently. Also, a few weeks after I stared Zumba I found out I was pregnant with our third child. I continued doing Zumba until I was about 7 or 8 months along.

My instructor is extremely fit and does a lot of Zumba, but she also does pilates, yoga, strength, etc. I don't think you'll get super fit on Zumba alone. All of the ladies and gentlemen I've seen who's only exercise is Zumba aren't particularly fit.

Actually i got d dvd set for exhilarate zumba...... and i'm so confused since it doesnt have a chart like turbo jam etc,.... so i dunno in which order is should use the dvds...... Also there are plenty of Zumba classes in my city..... but i think ill learn at home first and then join them....... would that be okay??? :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:
  • RuchikaPal
    Options
    Depending on instructor and how hard you go at it you can burn 700 calories an hour....I think I burn about 400 in a 45 min. Class. I just got a heart rate monitor, so I'll find out Tuesday!

oooo...thats a lot!!!!!
  • goodgollymrsholly86
    Options
    I recommend the Zumba on the Kinect for Xbox..I have lost 10lbs before doing it 5 times a day for a month. And now I am getting back into it again. I also play Dance Central for the Kinect that is also a lot of fun and it keeps track of how many calories you burn.
  • RuchikaPal
    Options
    and how do you log it in MFP??? under aerobics or dance??
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    As everybody else said, depends on instructor.

It's a non starter for me personally. The classes at the gym I belong to are slow paced and have very basic choreography. It's easy, dull and not a workout at all. I did attend one class with a cover instructor though and that was really fun and much harder work.

Most of ths instructors are in awesome shape but I wouldn't believe one who said that their figure was down to Zumba alone. I think it's great as part of a workout regime but doubt it would be effective as your only one unless you have significant amounts of weight to lose.

I haven't heard of turbo jam sorry, If it's anything like body jam then jam is harder and more varied.

I would log it as dance, the figure for aerobics will be too high.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Zumba is a lot of fun and burns calories. Will it tone? I don't think the ones I've done will, but there are Zumba toning classes. And as everyone said, it depends on the instructor. I have recently started Zumba, and have been trying different classes and instructors and have found that the instructor makes or breaks the class. I do know I get my heart rate up, keep it up and come out of an hour drenched with sweat. It really is a lot of fun, and I can hardly wait to get back to one. That's a good sign!