Clean Eating Club ~ March 2009

Options
cherapple
cherapple Posts: 670 Member
What is clean eating?

In a nutshell, eating clean is the practice of eating whole, natural foods. These include fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and complex carbohydrates. It also means staying away from the junk that typically makes up the Standard American Diet (SAD). These types of foods include man-made sugar, bad fats (hydrogenated and trans-fat), preservatives, white bread, artificial sweeteners, and any other ingredients that are unnecessary. An easy way to remember whether a food is clean is by asking: Is this food recognizable as something that came off a tree or out of the ground? If not, most likely it's not natural! The goal is to always read ingredients and buy foods with as few as possible.

Anyone who wants to eat cleaner can develop some or all of the following habits:

* Eating 5 to 6 small meals per day
* Eating every 2 to 3 hours
* Combining lean proteins with complex carbohydrates at every meal
* Never skipping a meal, especially breakfast
* Eating whole foods
* Eating healthy fats
* Drinking lots of water
* Eliminating refined sugar and processed foods
* Eliminating alcoholic beverages (another kind of sugar)
* Carrying a supply of healthy foods, or having an eating plan when away from home
* Making healthy choices when dining out
* Sticking to reasonable portion sizes at all times
* And exercising for both fat loss and muscle gain (cardio and strength training)

Join the club! Ask questions. Tell us what you're eating. Our goal is to support each other in becoming both leaner and healthier!

Replies

• cherapple
    Options
    What is clean eating?

In a nutshell, eating clean is the practice of eating whole, natural foods. These include fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and complex carbohydrates. It also means staying away from the junk that typically makes up the Standard American Diet (SAD). These types of foods include man-made sugar, bad fats (hydrogenated and trans-fat), preservatives, white bread, artificial sweeteners, and any other ingredients that are unnecessary. An easy way to remember whether a food is clean is by asking: Is this food recognizable as something that came off a tree or out of the ground? If not, most likely it's not natural! The goal is to always read ingredients and buy foods with as few as possible.

Anyone who wants to eat cleaner can develop some or all of the following habits:

* Eating whole foods
    * Eating healthy fats
    * Drinking lots of water
    * Carrying a supply of healthy foods, or having an eating plan when away from home
    * And exercising for both fat loss and muscle gain (cardio and strength training)

Join the club! Ask questions. Tell us what you're eating. Our goal is to support each other in becoming both leaner and healthier!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    What is clean eating?

* Eating whole foods
    * Eating healthy fats
    * Drinking lots of water

I have never felt better since "cleaning" up:happy:
  • cherapple
    Options
    Hey, everybody. I'm still here, and still eating clean. :smile: I know I'm a little scarce lately. I just don't want to muddy up the thread with my struggles. I want to keep things mostly positive and supportive, and if I don't feel like I can do that, I'd rather not say anything. But I'm around, and I'm hoping the coming spring weather will kick me in the butt! :flowerforyou: :laugh: I'm off to the gym today for some cardio, if nothing else.

If I continue with weight training, I think I'll go back to the BFFM intermediate plan because the advanced one felt like too much pressure. I had the strength and stamina to do it, but it began to feel like I was consumed by it. So I'm going to take it down a notch, should I decide to keep going in that direction. Today, I just need to get my blood flowing!

Have a good one! :heart:
  • cherapple
    Options

Hey, it's another clean eater out there! Hi, Dave. I wish more people would treat food like fuel, rather than entertainment! :laugh: It does make a huge difference in the way you feel. Welcome!
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

Hey, it's another clean eater out there! Hi, Dave. I wish more people would treat food like fuel, rather than entertainment! :laugh: It does make a huge difference in the way you feel. Welcome!

thanks new friend...an honor.
  • firetuck
    firetuck Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Amen to clean eating. I've noticed such a difference in how I feel and how my body responds to exercise. My question is - can I stay consistent with this and not fall back into old habits.
  • vegrunner
    vegrunner Posts: 42
    Options
    I'm in. I have to agree with Dave that I have never felt better. If there is anything here I still struggle with, its eating portions that are too big.

I strongly recommend a whole foods diet to anyone. Its pretty tough at first because you have to overcome cravings for fried foods and high glycemic foods such as refined sugar and white bread. But once you get over that hump your mind is clearer, its so much easier to get up in the morning, you become a happier person.

I look forward to chatting with everyone here.
  • cherapple
    Options
    Amen to clean eating. I've noticed such a difference in how I feel and how my body responds to exercise. My question is - can I stay consistent with this and not fall back into old habits.

It doesn't take long for clean eating to feel like a habit that you "can't" -- or don't want to -- break! If you fall back into old habits, you quickly realize how bad they make you feel. For me, the old habits aren't worth the convenience or taste, or whatever I used to find attractive about them, anymore. Most of us slip now and then, and that's ok. Just bring yourself back to clean eating as soon as you can. Over time, you will slip less and less.
  • cherapple
    Options
    I'm in. I have to agree with Dave that I have never felt better. If there is anything here I still struggle with, its eating portions that are too big.

I strongly recommend a whole foods diet to anyone. Its pretty tough at first because you have to overcome cravings for fried foods and high glycemic foods such as refined sugar and white bread. But once you get over that hump your mind is clearer, its so much easier to get up in the morning, you become a happier person.

I look forward to chatting with everyone here.

I've always liked big portions, too, and with clean eating, you can still have them. Load up on greens and vegetables and other low-calorie, high-nutrient foods. It's much less of a problem for me now that I eat every two or three hours, instead of trying to wait between three main meals. If I know I'll be eating again soon, I feel satisfied on less. Also, healthier food is more satisfying, so you don't crave as much of it, unlike "junk" food, which your body eats and asks for more because it's not getting the nutrients it needs.

Welcome to everyone! I love how a new month and a new thread always bring in new people. :happy:
  • cherapple
    Options
    A good day, and it's about time! :laugh: I worked out! :happy: I did an hour on the elliptical. I went to the gym saying I was going to take it easy and only do as much as I felt up to doing, but by the second half hour I was feeling great and I wanted to keep going. I think I'm back! I'm wondering if I just had a really bad couple of weeks of PMS (following my bad cold). It's so easy to blame it on that every month! :laugh: (Falling off the wagon in one way or another really does seem to be a monthly occurrence for me.)

Meals:
    Oatmeal, apple, egg whites, flax, skim milk
    Coffee w/cream, homemade scone
    Ham and turkey sandwich with lettuce and mustard on wheat bread
    Kashi protein bar, skim milk, cocoa powder, egg whites
    Chicken and rice, carrots, skim milk

Water: 11 cups

How is everyone else doing?
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,999 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :flowerforyou: I think I want to be part of this. My husband went on Isagenix and asked that we start buying organic fruits and vegetables. We start our main meal with a salad. I eat three meals a day with a snack. It will be interesting to see how it works to eat smaller meals more often. At least what I'm eating is recognizable as food ( not processed). We're taking baby steps to get where we're going
    :bigsmile: :flowerforyou: :smile:
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Fantastic Day yesterday...March is going to be great!!!

My pm snack last night...raw cucumber; some cabbage, a bell pepper and roasted garlic hummus topped off a clean day. I was feeling "light" and "ready" it's all good!
    Hope you clean eaters have a great day!
    Dave:smile:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Hi Clean Eaters! I'm still around, keeping track here and feeling great! I might not post all of my meals and food, but I'll definitely be checking in! :bigsmile:
  • kpnuts23
    kpnuts23 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Hello Clean eaters!! :happy:

I have seen this thread pop up over the last few months and im determined to eat clean this month - and every other month!!

i wil be hard as im a lover of cakes and chocolate... :grumble:

I hope i can do this!! I will also be paying for my holiday over the next few months so i wont be able to afford to go out driking on the weekends!! YAY for no more alcohol.. Ok mybe a glass or two of wine here and there!!! :drinker:

:heart: Katherine
  • annathelu
    annathelu Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm in on the clean eating. i'm already trying to give up on the refined sugars, so I figure why not combine the two -- starting today.

Perhaps you guys can help me along the way because many things do not grow on trees or come from the ground, but (I always thought) are still good for you.

For instance, today's breakfast:

oatmeal, cinnamon, vanilla extract, honey
    banana
    coffee

For lunch:
    mango salad: black beans, mango, onion, cilantro, bell pepper, italian seasoning

Some of it is clean, some, like the seasoning and extract likely not?

Forgive my igornance.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    I'm in on the clean eating. i'm already trying to give up on the refined sugars, so I figure why not combine the two -- starting today.

Perhaps you guys can help me along the way because many things do not grow on trees or come from the ground, but (I always thought) are still good for you.

banana
    coffee

For lunch:
    mango salad: black beans, mango, onion, cilantro, bell pepper, italian seasoning

Forgive my igornance.

welcome and it isnt ignorance....it can be difficult making any change but you are on the right path

the easiest way for me to stay clean is to look at the ingredients on anything I think about putting in my body...added sugar? NO NO NO

more than 2-3 ingredients on the label...probably not

"enritched flour..or usually enriched anything is something I avoid...misleading as all get out

even the honey and the bananna...good choices ...but together adds up to alot of sugar for one tummy load....

so much on the web to help...
    I dont use the extract...but I do sometimes drop a few splashes on the cookie sheet when baking a sweet potatoe or tomato just to get that nice smell in my kitchen
    Dave
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Pre-workout:
    Small banana (90)

Workout:
    ChaLean Lean Circuit #1

Post-workout meal:
    1/4 c. old fashioned oatmeal, 1/4 c. Quaker multi grain hot cereal, 1/4 c. Fiber one
    1/2 scoop chocolate protein powder, 1 T. Naturally More Peanut Butter, 1/3 c. cottage cheese
    6oz broccoli (not with the oatmeal - :laugh: ) = 418

Meal:
    1 c. Meijer Nonfat plain yogurt
    1 T. Naturally More (NM) PB
    1/4 c. Nature's Path Pumpkin Flax Granola cereal
    1/4 c. Kashi GoLean Crunch cereal
    Fuji apple, medium = 423
  • jessmomof3
    Options

banana
    coffee

For lunch:

Forgive my igornance.

I am not a 100% whole foods clean eater. I wish I could be, but I just do my best and have found things that work for me. I use extracts and spices, for sure! Vanilla is natural, it comes from the vanilla bean. :wink: I use Agave Nectar instead of honey, you can find it at a whole foods or in the natural section of your grocery store. That mango salad sounds yummy! :bigsmile:
  • annathelu
    annathelu Posts: 127 Member
    Options

banana
    coffee

For lunch:

Forgive my igornance.

I am not a 100% whole foods clean eater. I wish I could be, but I just do my best and have found things that work for me. I use extracts and spices, for sure! Vanilla is natural, it comes from the vanilla bean. :wink: I use Agave Nectar instead of honey, you can find it at a whole foods or in the natural section of your grocery store. That mango salad sounds yummy! :bigsmile:

I've heard of people using this stuff called Stevia, too. Would you guys suggest the Agave nectar and stevia rather than honey? If so, why?
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

banana
    coffee

For lunch:

Forgive my igornance.

I've heard of people using this stuff called Stevia, too. Would you guys suggest the Agave nectar and stevia rather than honey? If so, why?

I do not use stevia or agave..I do use honey sparingly...I feel much better the lower I stay with any sugar...I can't avoid the high sugar fruits but with the fruit fibers, the sugar gets slowed down a bit and I always combine sugary fruit with a fiber rich food to slow the sugar even more....have you read sugar busters? a real eye opener
    hth