All over the place?

Options
For the past couple days, my weight has been ALL over the place.

I'm drinking a ton of water, so I'm pretty sure it's not bloat, but I don't know why this is happening?

Friday night at about 2am I couldn't sleep and just decided to weigh myself for fun and the scale said 257, which was down 2.6 pounds from that morning. Saturday morning it said 264 and this morning it said 265.

I've been doing everything right, apart from last night. I'm eating 1200 calories a day right now, usually more, but then a few exercise calories sometimes.

I'm kind of freaking out. Can someone help?

My diary is open.

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    If you're going to weigh in every day (or more) then you just have to shrug off fluctuations of a pound or two. Bodies are strange creatures and sometimes seem to gain weight out of thin air. Look for the overall trend.

Now someone will show up and talk about water retention due to salty foods. But I still say it's all about that calorie-laden thin air!
  • ginareejoy
    ginareejoy Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Don't weight at night. That will psych you out.
    Weight fluctuates. You should only see a true loss once a week. I personally see mine on Saturday, so that's when I do my official weigh in.
    Don't stress...that will cause more problems. :)
    Do consistent exercise/activity....at least 30 minutes a day. Drink lots of water. Maybe make your calorie intake stay the same. so you're not up & down.
  • carlypreiss
    Options
    If you're going to weigh in every day (or more) then you just have to shrug off fluctuations of a pound or two. Bodies are strange creatures and sometimes seem to gain weight out of thin air. Look for the overall trend.

Now someone will show up and talk about water retention due to salty foods. But I still say it's all about that calorie-laden thin air!

I really need to stop weighing myself everyday. I'm just afraid that if I don't, somehow the pounds will creep up on me during the week and screw me up.
  • carlypreiss
    Options
    Don't weight at night. That will psych you out.
    Weight fluctuates. You should only see a true loss once a week. I personally see mine on Saturday, so that's when I do my official weigh in.
    Don't stress...that will cause more problems. :)
    Do consistent exercise/activity....at least 30 minutes a day. Drink lots of water. Maybe make your calorie intake stay the same. so you're not up & down.

Doesn't shifting calories (within reason of course) help your metabolism to stay "surprised"?
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

I really need to stop weighing myself everyday. I'm just afraid that if I don't, somehow the pounds will creep up on me during the week and screw me up.

I've just started weighing in every day because that New York Times article floating around says that successful maintainers weigh in every day, so I'm getting in the habit now, while I'm losing weight. But I'll go back to weekly weigh-ins if I start freaking out over small fluctuations.

Yesterday I weighted in at 215.4 or something like that. This morning, I weighed in at 216 flat. And I didn't even quite eat all my exercise calories back yesterday. I had a cushion of over 100. But I did eat a big dinner and it probably did have quite a bit of sodium in it. So I'm not worried. If that scale says 217 tomorrow, I'll wonder. If it says 217 for the rest of the week, I'll figure I messed up somewhere, seeing as it's not TOM. Otherwise, I'm not going to freak out. I'm just going to weigh in, record it, and go on.
  • carlypreiss
    Options

I've just started weighing in every day because that New York Times article floating around says that successful maintainers weigh in every day, so I'm getting in the habit now, while I'm losing weight. But I'll go back to weekly weigh-ins if I start freaking out over small fluctuations.

Yesterday I weighted in at 215.4 or something like that. This morning, I weighed in at 216 flat. And I didn't even quite eat all my exercise calories back yesterday. I had a cushion of over 100. But I did eat a big dinner and it probably did have quite a bit of sodium in it. So I'm not worried. If that scale says 217 tomorrow, I'll wonder. If it says 217 for the rest of the week, I'll figure I messed up somewhere, seeing as it's not TOM. Otherwise, I'm not going to freak out. I'm just going to weigh in, record it, and go on.

Oh yeah... I also have my period. Maybe that's what's going on? I think I ate a lot of sodium last night...
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    By all means weigh every day. Just remember that weight loss isnt a nice straight line, and it will zig zag up and down.
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I get weigh'd once a month at the gym. I refuse to be a slve to the scale. AND, with that said, I go by how my clothes feel. You could be losing inches (with your exercising) and not so much weight. Last month I only lost 4 lbs, but I lost 4 1/2 inches. I was HAPPY about that, especially the 2 inches I lost off my waist. :)
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    It's OK to weigh daily, weekly, monthly whatever works to keep you motivated however remember that your body is in constant change and fluctuation so small changes can be expected. I find that I like to weigh daily as it keeps me in touch with fitness being part of an everyday routine like brushing my teeth and showering. On your journey you will find other changes besides the scale become equally important for example how your clothing fits or how the local movie theatre seats seem much, much more comfortable as you lose. :smile:
  • danagisana
    danagisana Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    i have the same thing. I get frustrated. After a few months I have seen how the weight fluctuations are part of my cycle. I am up a week, then I can lose for a week, then I am up a week then I can lose a bit more. The general trend is downward though so I just try to hold onto that.
    Never weigh yourself at night though!!! It will always be up.