From "wogging" to 1/2 marathon in 2012...possible?

I really want to register for the Disneyland 1/2 marathon in September. When I started working out last summer it was one of my goals. I have lost 95 pounds in 2011 and I really want to meet this goal in 2012. However, when the weather hit in the late fall and winter I stopped trainining regularly. I haven't run more than 1 mile straight and while I can easily do 5/6 miles walking/jogging intervals, I am wondering now if I can actually go from sporadic "wogging" to a half marathon in September. I really want to do it, but I work full time and I am worried I won't have time to get enough training in over 9 months. I have to register in january if I am going to do this, so I have to decide quickly. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Replies

• cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    OK If you look at it from a math angle then yes. starting at a mile now and adding a half mile a week! I am thinking about doing the air force half in September too!
  • uts52
    uts52 Posts: 13
    Hi,
    From personal experience you can. i did it in 2004. i started in jan and ran/walked/wogged twice a wk and slowly increased and ran the suntrust marathon in nov. I ran on wed and sat.
  • vegamy
    vegamy Posts: 204 Member
    Yes, if you stick with training and do it gradually! It doesn't take much time to follow a training regimen and you improve so much in such a short period of time - I went from not being able to run a tenth of a mile to being able to run about 4 miles (constant running) in about 3-4 months. I did the couch to 5K program, maybe that's something to start with? You do need to make a time commitment to it, sometimes it helps to have a goal to work towards too (knowing you need to run the 1/2 marathon)!
  • cindybickler
    cindybickler Posts: 113 Member
    I want to do a half marathon this year too, but have no idea where to start. I have never ran long distances, but my trainer has me running during my workouts with him once a week. I would love to challenge myself with a half-marathon and do something I thought I couldn't do. Setting my goals for 2012 today and mapping out a plan.
  • Looks like we're all in agreement on this one. YES YOU CAN! Fill your head with positive thoughts and get yourself on the road, treadmill, walking path or whatever.
    and congratulations on the success you've experienced so far!
  • aritchey1977
    aritchey1977 Posts: 65 Member
    My husband and I are training right now to run the Disney World half marathon in January of 2013. Disney is the most magical place even when you're not achieving a goal and I can't think of a better place to cross your first 1/2 marthon finish line. Good luck and YES YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!
  • you definately can I started running at the end of last april and did a half in september! Add me if you'd like
  • bexdc
    bexdc Posts: 202 Member
    "Wogging" -- I love that description! :) And speaking as a certified running coach - YES, you can totally do a half-marathon in September. You have plenty of time! Just take it slowly, get good running shoes, remember to stretch afterwards, and so some strength training and lower-body work (e.g. squats, lunges - not too deep).
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    I started running in April last year and ran a half in September. So, yes! Totally possible. I had never run before.
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Funny that this thread showed up again today. I registered for the half marathon today. I am still nervous but every runner I have talked to says I can do this. Thanks for all the support.