is it good or bad to have a cheat day?

Options
Today is my cheat day its my break from exercising and I can eat foods I don't normally eat.. but not too much.

Is it good to have a cheat day or not?

Replies

• 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<I had a Cheat Day see....
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have found in the past that if I have a complete cheat day, it's the start of a downward spiral. I find, for me, if I'm truly wanting something just to have a small piece and move on.
  • Kim28dav
    Options
    i cheated today too!!! But I know that I'll be back in the gym this week so maybe a cheat is ok? :)
  • laurastrait21
    laurastrait21 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Cheating, like everything, in moderation! I can usually handle one cheat day but won't go past that.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    its always worked for me, i used to have a set 'cheat' day on sundays and eat well all week, now i have1 or 2 'cheat' meals per week rather than all in one day (still meet my weekly cals), both ways i lost around 2lb per week.

cheat days may slightly slow down your weight loss, but i think they help you stick to your diet the rest of time as you dont feel deprived!
  • TheGlen
    TheGlen Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Today is my cheat day its my break from exercising and I can eat foods I don't normally eat.. but not too much.

Is it good to have a cheat day or not?

I think that if having a cheat day, and eating within reason, is a good idea if it helps you stay on track the rest of the week.
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I have found in the past that if I have a complete cheat day, it's the start of a downward spiral. I find, for me, if I'm truly wanting something just to have a small piece and move on.
    Agreed. Rather than one massive cheat day, I will just spread it out and not indulge too heavy. I tried to have a cheat day 3 weeks ago... I gained 4 lbs in a single night, went 3000 calories over my limit, and it took me over 4 days to recover and get back to where I was on the morning of that cheat day.

So, in shorter words, treat yourself but don't go crazy!
  • elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the type of person you are. If you can have restraint and maintain moderation throughout your cheat day, it's healthy and there isn't anything wrong with it. If you use this day to binge and make severely unhealthy choices, it could be detrimental to your emotional and physical health. I think as you continue on your journey, you'll have less and less "need" for a cheat day, as making different food choices and exercise will become more commonplace. What works for me is not having cheat days. I allow myself to eat what I WANT, whenever if I can fit it into my calorie and exercise goals. If I go a little over, it's not horrible, I just pick "it" up at the gym the next day. Good luck and it really depends on you, whether or not these days will work.
  • Nemlein
    Nemlein Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    For me, having a cheat item is a little bit better than a whole day I'm going to feel guilty about. Without a treat herewith and there it would be too difficult to stay disciplined!
  • captainrosieosie
    Options
    with christmas/my bday/new years all in the same week i had a cheat week haha so dont feel to bad...as long as you know you'll go back i think its okay
  • beautyreaps
    Options
    You don't need a cheat day. The best thing to do is to allow yourself to have a food you crave but in a portion. Restricting yourself from it will lead to future binges (uh oh!). If you do decide to go on with a 'cheat day', then I would suggest you drink more water, it'll keep you fuller so you don't over do anything and it'll aid with digestion. Also, add an extra 15 minutes to your exercise regimen for the following day.
  • amberpickens
    amberpickens Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    well it depends..do you still count ur calories? i feel that maybe 1 day everyone once in a while it maybe ok to go over but make sure you log it on here. so you know how often you do it. and like shoechick5 said that may make you start to downward spiral and you really dont want that
  • Bigmomma0u812
    Options
    I am so conflicted by this question. I want to say its ok because this is a lifestyle change and you are going to be faced with a lot of food in your life and you have to be able to handle it.... BUT that being said I had two consecutive cheat days when my sister visited and it was so hard to get back on the straight and narrow. (which I still haven't completely done). Cheat days make it hard on you but I really enjoy them. I guess it depends mostly on how you handle them and bounce back afterward.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    "there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so"
    -Hamlet
  • SLT4273
    SLT4273 Posts: 56
    Options
    You don't need a cheat day. The best thing to do is to allow yourself to have a food you crave but in a portion. Restricting yourself from it will lead to future binges (uh oh!). If you do decide to go on with a 'cheat day', then I would suggest you drink more water, it'll keep you fuller so you don't over do anything and it'll aid with digestion. Also, add an extra 15 minutes to your exercise regimen for the following day.

i totally agree with this. i saved some calories a few days ago strictly for a mexican pizza from taco bell. i did not go over my allotted cals and do not feel a bit guilty about it.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I do what some people would call 'cheating' every single day... only I call it 'eating in moderation'. :-)

Since joining MFP in April, not a single day has gone by that I have not had pizza or a cupcake or a cheeseburger or cookies or french fries - or some other food labeled 'bad' or 'a treat'. I just watch my portion sizes and total calories.

It's worked really well for me! I've lost 45 pounds and am just seven pounds from my ultimate goal weight.
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I had a "cheat" day yesterday too. I think its just important to not OVER indulge. Even though I didn't care how many beers I had, I still took into consideration my portion sizes when eating. If I go too far, its just the start of the end for me. Just make sure that you enjoy that day but that you have the intention of being better the next day! :)
  • traceracer
    traceracer Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I try to have 1 day where I dont worry about what I eat or eat things that I wouldnt normally within reason. But if I go over, I go over and dont fret about it:)
  • gracechild
    Options
    I think one cheat day a week is good. When I totally deprive myself, watchout! because I then want to eat everything. Been watching "diet" commentators and all have said that it is ok to treat ourselves one a week. Cant' wait until next Sunday!
  • 27Sunrises
    Options
    In my opinion, I believe that when you start a healthy diet the first two weeks is no cheating at all and after that once a week is good. If I fallow my routine, that is working out 6 days a week 1:30-2hrs a day and eat healthy then I get my free day. I eat my cake or ice cream....whatever I'm craving at the time but in moderation. Depriving yourself 100% in my opinion, I don't think is good, at least for me. Unless you are in a medical supervised diet like Optifast then you have to fallow it 100%. :)