do eat by the clock??

Options
I was just curious....do any of you eat by the clock? i mean, do you eat only at certain times or do you try and eat intuitively? I currently only eat at specific times but am now questioning whether this is an eating disordered type of habit....any thoughts??

155059.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter

Replies

• twincat
    twincat Posts: 6
    Options
    I was just curious....do any of you eat by the clock? i mean, do you eat only at certain times or do you try and eat intuitively? I currently only eat at specific times but am now questioning whether this is an eating disordered type of habit....any thoughts??

155059.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I generally eat when I'm hungry. Sometimes that's every hour, sometimes I go for 4 before I feel a twinge of hunger. I make sure to eat at some point before I work out, and then directly afterward, but those are the only meals I 'time'. It's important to be flexible so you can keep these healthy habits up.
  • joonieB
    joonieB Posts: 101
    Options
    Hmmmm, interesting question. I currently eat by the clock, every 2 hours. I have blood sugar issues so by the time I actually feel hunger, I am already sliding. But I can see the value in working towards eating as a response to hunger. I do think as a newbie (and I still consider myself in that category) it is helpful to plan out the day's calories and eat them according to a schedule--thereby preventing getting to 4:00 pm with only 200 cals left for the day (my personal fear). But maybe someday...when I am all grown up....I will be able to eat when I am hungry AND stick to my nutrition goals.
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options
    I eat when I have time... just try to fit it into my schedule.
  • OliveBranch
    OliveBranch Posts: 104
    Options
    I often find myself eating by the clock as well...like, "I'll wait four hours until I eat again, so at 6pm I'll have this and this..." I do think that it becomes more of an eating to "get it over with" then out of hunger or intuition. It's much more gratifying to eat intuitively when you feel truly hungry, I think. Everyone is different. Maybe just try it for 1 day! Good luck!
  • colecole
    colecole Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I eat by the clock also every 2-3hr. It keeps you from being so hungry and your metab going. Also you don't end up with so may cal left at the end of the day. You want to have energy to work out and cal's to burn. Good luck!! :bigsmile:
  • jenninsocal
    jenninsocal Posts: 419
    Options
    I generally eat by the clock (8, 10, 12, 3, 6) because of my work schedule, breaks we get, etc. I notice on weekends I am hungry at those times because I am used to eating then. But of course sometimes things happen or I get distracted and eat at other times.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, interesting question. I currently eat by the clock, every 2 hours. I have blood sugar issues so by the time I actually feel hunger, I am already sliding. But I can see the value in working towards eating as a response to hunger. I do think as a newbie (and I still consider myself in that category) it is helpful to plan out the day's calories and eat them according to a schedule--thereby preventing getting to 4:00 pm with only 200 cals left for the day (my personal fear). But maybe someday...when I am all grown up....I will be able to eat when I am hungry AND stick to my nutrition goals.

It is definitely different as a beginner. I have been watching my food for almost 4 years now, so I don't even have to log for most of the day and I am always within the right calories and macronutrients. I only plan dinner based on what I have left to eat for the day. It takes a lot of practice to be able to eat intuitively and also in accordance with what you need.