Vit d deficiency

Options
Jut dx with very low vit d. Took 50000 units for 6 weeks and level went up one pt to 17. any one else with this issue and how long does it take to get to normal levels?

Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I was on heavy dose for over 3 months and I finally got back in normal range ( also lost about 50 lbs. that first 3 months back in 09) since then I take 2000 UI dose (over the counter) twice day...... Alot of my problems back then was weight related, as I dropped the weight things started reversing.......
  • mugsisme
    mugsisme Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Both my husband and I were dx with that last year. DH took forever to get his levels acceptable, maybe 9 months or more? He still has to take a supplement daily.

Mine went up to the normal range w/in 3 months, and I was told to take a supplement once a week or once a month; I can't remember which.

It helps to walk outside in sunlight w/o sunscreen, but not in the middle of the day.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I didn't go for a recheck after my dr told me that i was low. I just take a vitamin D pill with 1000 iu's with the first thing i eat every day.
  • saj6
    saj6 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I found out I had "extremly low" vit D about this time last year, I was told to take 2000IU per day. I had bloodwork done last month and my levels were just in the low end of the normal range. I was told it could take 2 yrs to get my levels to a good range. That being said, I live in Calgary, so I'm farther north and the sun is at an angle most of the year so I am not able to get as much from sunshine as someone who lives farther south. My doctor told me I should take the 2000IU every day from now on to keep my levels up even after they return to a better level (which I am hoping will happen by the summer)
  • HealthyAcademic
    HealthyAcademic Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Living with Vit D issues in sunny California. Took two rounds of weeks of megadoses and now taking a twice daily OTC supplement to get to the bottom end of normal. It's been over a year and a half.

Actually this post reminds me I need to go and have it checked again...