How much do you spend on groceries?

jdelisle
jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
Just curious, how much do you spend on groceries per month? Its just me and my husband (we both work full-time, so we buy lots of lunch and snack type stuff). I usually spend about $300 per month just on food. I feel like I am spending a fortune and I usually buy generic!

What about you guys? Is this pretty average?

I live in Alberta, Canada so that's $300 in Canadian dollars.

Replies

• jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Just curious, how much do you spend on groceries per month? Its just me and my husband (we both work full-time, so we buy lots of lunch and snack type stuff). I usually spend about $300 per month just on food. I feel like I am spending a fortune and I usually buy generic!

What about you guys? Is this pretty average?

I live in Alberta, Canada so that's $300 in Canadian dollars.
  • In my household it's my bf, our cat, our dog and myself. We spend about $130 on groceries(including households) at the beginning of the month. Later on in the month we usually spend about $20 more on things we run out of like milk, eggs, bread or dog food.

I'll bet your tab is so high because of the snack foods. Example, buying things like pre-packaged crackers, cereal bars, etc can really add up fast.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    LOL, the wife and I spend about 500 a month (just the 2 of us). But we try to go natural and organic whenever we can. That pretty much doubles the price on 2/3 of our food.
  • jenninsocal
    jenninsocal Posts: 419
    About $400 a month on food for my DH and I. I used to spend $800 for the 2 of us! With the healthier eating, I have managed to take away a lot of the processed stuff and buy more lean meats, etc so it is cheaper now :)
  • KKluvUSC
    KKluvUSC Posts: 37
    Yikes... I spend about $100 a week. Puts it in perspective when you think about it. I buy a lot of organic food thought (sometimes more expensive) and I shop at Costco for poultry (ground turkey and chicken) and berries and water.
  • joann
    joann Posts: 624 Member
    One thing I did notice eating healthier is more expensive..I buy atleast $20.00 just in fruit a week for me and hubby and another $20. in veggies. I do save money though on buying mostly turkey meat but I would guess that I spend atleast $100 a week...
  • nancyl3
    nancyl3 Posts: 36
    For the 5 of us. we spend any where between $400-$600 a month, I have been buying healthier food and it seems like I am spending more then I use to because I spent around $75 on just veggies and fruit. But its worth me and the family being healthier. Even if half the time they don't ever realize that I am giving them healthier food.
  • swtally80
    swtally80 Posts: 278 Member
    I spend about 700 a month on the 7 of us!
  • cloverluv
    cloverluv Posts: 413 Member
    We spend about 500 a month for me, hubby, 7 year old boy, 5 year old boy, 3 year old girl, 2 very large dogs, and 4 cats. I think I spend more on dog food than anything else...lol:noway:
  • laird20k
    laird20k Posts: 96 Member
    My Boyfriend and I spend between $75 and $100 each month. We eat healthy, lean meats, veggies and lots of fruit. I use weekly sales and coupons to plan out our meals. We rarely though anything out and only buy what we know we will eat.
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    We probably spend between 350-500---for everything ( food and household stuff).

We stock up on meats , frozen veg, milk bread at the costco & then I will run to the regular grocery store for small items that we may need inbetween.

There are 5 of us, and we don't eat out much ( maybe once a month) and we make our lunches at home to take to work.

I would much rather buy good foods, then to waste our hard earned money on crap. :flowerforyou: The extra cost for organic & healthy is worth it to us!
  • gottaluvboyz
    gottaluvboyz Posts: 555 Member
    We spend about $250 a week for 5 of us (husband and 3 sons...5 yrs, 3 yrs, and 9 mos). We buy a lot of produce and our older 2 boys are already doing their best to eat us out of house and home. That total does include baby food, baby wipes, diapers (which until recently had been for 2 kiddos), and formula.
  • bigdawg62
    bigdawg62 Posts: 127 Member
    I spend about 160 per week for 3 people, 1 big dog and a cat :grumble: definately have to try and cut down but buying fresh vegatables and organic meat is expensive.
  • TrailRunner
    TrailRunner Posts: 140 Member
    About 150 to 200 a month. 1 person here. I do alot of stocking up (Sams Club). Try to keep the pasta's , rice, legume's, in supply. If there is a sale at Kroger's for canned items I'll stock up what I like to eat. Frozen organics on sale I'll stock up.
  • Mommy2Girls
    Mommy2Girls Posts: 100
    We spend about $600 per month ($150/week). It's my husband (works full time) myself (SAHM) and my 2 daughters (21mos & 6mos). I buy some things generic, but I mainly shop name brand and 75% of my bill is fruits/veggies/meats. I cook a meal every night and hubby takes the leftovers for lunch. I would love to cut back, but we've tried and it's just not feasible. We don't eat out at all (max. twice per month), so I guess we save $$ there.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Around $30.00/wk for just me but like everything else in NY the costs are high.
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Well, on my new budget, I'd say about $200/month for just me. This includes toiletries and stuff like plastic wrap and foil, etc.

Before, when I kinda had a budget but didn't really have to worry about it, I spent about $400/month for both my husband and myself.

This cost sometimes but not always includes wine...but b/c of my recent necessity to spend as little as possible...I haven't been able to buy as much wine, and not my favorite kinds. :frown: I used to spend no more than $10/bottle...now I refuse to spend more than $5. When I do buy it.
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    me, dh and 9 year old daughter, food and household stuff $600-800 per month. We all eat healthy and take lunches. That is in regular grocery orders, plus will have to pick more fruit and fresh veggies through the week.

Food in Canada is very expensive and since we cannot buy alcohol in our grocery stores, the price is even higher when you include wine :cry:
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    HOLY FREAKIN MOLY, I spend on average 315.00 a week, but usually end up buying bread, eggs, and milk halfway through the week as well....that's 1260. if it's a 4 week month or 1575. if it's a 5 week month...crapola, that's making me feel ill :noway: , mind you there's currently 13 kids and two adults, plus a dog and two cats!

I forgot to add that's on the off season, when we open up our B&B for full time use in the hot months, that cost nearly triples!
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    HOLY FREAKIN MOLY, I spend on average 315.00 a week, but usually end up buying bread, eggs, and milk halfway through the week as well....that's 1260. if it's a 4 week month or 1575. if it's a 5 week month...crapola, that's making me feel ill :noway: , mind you there's currently 13 kids and two adults, plus a dog and two cats!

I forgot to add that's on the off season, when we open up our B&B for full time use in the hot months, that cost nearly triples!
    13 kids??? and you are still sane :noway: