Easy strength training at home?

Options
jhacker
jhacker Posts: 301 Member
I have gotten good at the cardio but want to work in strength training. I have limited resources at home and wondered what I could do to make it work. Any suggestions?

Replies

• jhacker
    Options
    I have gotten good at the cardio but want to work in strength training. I have limited resources at home and wondered what I could do to make it work. Any suggestions?
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Exercise Bands!! Oh my you can make them as hard as you want!

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    plyometrics, install a pull up bar, dips between 2 chairs. Dumbell lunges, incline pushups,

lots of stuff you can do at home for strength.
  • stillkristi
    stillkristi Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Heres me, displaying my ignorance again. :blushing: What are or is plyometrics, Banks?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    essentially plyometrics focuses more on speed and power then endurance.
    You get a full workout faster with plyometrics, but they are more taxing on the body and should be practiced with an eye towards correct form so as to not injure yourself. But if done right, can greatly improve your muscle to fat ratio in a far shorter period then classic cardio.

A plyometric routine is shorter then a cardio routine, but if done right will produce a far longer "Burn" in the muscles (up to a day or two if you are lucky) and while that's going on, you are at an elevated metabolism, thus burning more calories AND increasing muscle mass.

here is the wiki definition of plyometrics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plyometrics
  • jennib06
    jennib06 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm with arewethereyet...excercise bands can give you a mean burn! You can "tighten" or "loosen" them for different levels. Once you have been working with them for a while you just adjust the band and it's like a whole new workout! You can purchase them at wal-mart and there are even dvd's (cheep ones at that) to show you different ways to use them.

And plyometrics is a great choice as well. I coach a high-school volleyball team and last season I had my girls do them every other day and it made a huge difference. But, like SHBoss said if you don't use the correct form they are almost pointless and you can hurt yourself.
  • jhacker
    Options
    Thanks guys! Now I have some idea where to head from here. Just got done doing the BL Cardio Max 2nd level for the first time. Almost didn't make it but kept going!:sick: Feel good now though!:tongue:
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Plenty of exercises using only your body weight. Chair dips, plyometrics, pushups, etc...