Losing weight while pregant

Options
Wasn't sure exactly where to categorize this topic, but I wanted to get other thoughts/opinions on this. To give you some context, my current weight is 299.9, so it's not like I am already at a healthy weight and worried about gaining during a pregnancy (btw, not pregnant yet, just thinking about it-this will be my 5th). So what do you think? Safe, for a person of my size, to continue to lose weight while pregnant? Obviously, I won't be "dieting" and I will try my best to stick to a whole foods, limited sugar/carb, high-protein diet and be sure I am taking in adequate calories.

Opinions? Please be respectful.

Replies

• lindsaymo34
    Options
    A medical professional would be better able to answer this. I don't think I would "try" to lose weight, but rather eat clean and healthy and exercise...more of a healthy lifestyle than a diet.
  • bonnt
    bonnt Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    A medical professional would be better able to answer this. I don't think I would "try" to lose weight, but rather eat clean and healthy and exercise...more of a healthy lifestyle than a diet.

Yes. You would need to talk to your doctor. A lot of doctors will probably tell you to try to avoid gaining any weight, but to eat healthy and do some light - moderate exercise. If you are thinking about trying for a baby, why not wait until you have lost the weight and are closer to where you want to be?
  • elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you don't deprive the baby or yourself of enough calories, continue on. Be careful of the strain you put on your body during exercise, though, as well. (i.e.: if you weren't a runner before you got pregnant, don't run when you are). I can only think that the mental aspect would be difficult because you'll be gaining more weight and then trying to lose the original weight. I would definitely consult a doctor about this beforehand, but in my opinion, it would be safe if done moderately.
  • sirabe
    sirabe Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    losing weigh t while pregnant is dangerous to both you and the baby. But also, gaining alot of weight especially if you are already overweight.

when I was pregnant with my second child, I was already overweight so my doctor advised me that i would need to now gain that much weight during the pregnancy. i think over the whole pregnancy I gained 15 lbs. and once the baby was born all of that went with the baby ( because it was the baby plus fluids).

That's my 2 cents. Just try to keep your weight gain in moderation. It is ineviditable that you will gain weight during pregnancy because the weight will be the baby.
  • ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I would definitely talk to your doctor about it. That being said, the best approach is probably to eat healthy (not dieting) and exercise moderately throughout your pregnancy. That should minimize weight gain and make recovery easier. I was already overweight when I got pregnant with my daughter and I gained only about 12 pounds during my pregnancy. The doc was fine with that and my daughter is perfectly healthy. You might also consider taking a little more time to lose weight before conceiving, to minimize your risk of complications.
  • skinnydreams165
    skinnydreams165 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Your doctor will be the most help answering this question. a friend of mine just had twins in December.. her 3rd pregnancy and she gained over 100 lbs, they actually put her ON a diet so she could lose some of the weight- she was too big and her heath was at risk... she lost about 35 lbs in her 3rd trimester but her dr was really watching her close. I'm not sure if it helps but I know it's possible depending on the situation. good luck to you
  • traceracer
    traceracer Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Why not lose weight before you get pregnant?
  • GINAvsGINA
    GINAvsGINA Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    When I got pregnant with my second child I weighed about 310lbs and was training with a personal trainer at that time. I did not continue training but I ate heathier and yes I loss weight. I wasn't a large amount but I did lose and my midwife and dietician had no problem with it since my baby was steadily growing as normal. If you do decide to get pregnant just consult the dietician in your ob's office and they will monitor you through your pregnancy.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Because she has 170 pounds to go and it could take years?
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    At your weight if you were to get pregnant I am sure that your doctor would offer you some nutritional support so you don't gain anymore weight and to ensure that you are getting the correct nutirents for a healthy pregancy and baby. When you are pregnant and/or breastfeeding your number one priority should always be yours and your baby's health this is not the time to make losing weight a priority! Good luck.
  • traceracer
    Options
    Because she has 170 pounds to go and it could take years?
    Well, It wouldnt take years to lose a healthy amount of weight before she got preganant.
  • traceracer
    Options
    I would suggest taking a couple months to get serious about living a healthy lifestyle and exercising and talking to your doc about the best way to go about this as everyone posted above:)
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    It's not advisable to "Try" to lose weight while pregnant, but I can guarantee you from personal experience, that it is totally possible. Just eat healthier and it'll come off, without a doubt. I was pregnant in 2007 and my doc sent me to a diabetic counselor. I was eating every two hours, and STILL lost weight. The diabetic councelor was getting concerned, but I assured her that I was eating ALL the time... :smile: I totally get it, I am wanting to get pregnant, too, and am prepared to really watch my diet closely. But definitely talk with your doc about your diet... :smile:
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor. Trying to lose weight while pregnant could be risky.
  • Jayme34
    Jayme34 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I would say that you shouldnt try to purposely lose weight while pregnant but with that being said it is possible to lose weight and still have a healthy pregnancy. I lost weight while pregnant just by cutting out junk food, stopping soda and watching portion sizes while still excercising all the way through. I was lighter on my due date than when I found out I was pregnant. I was also a plus size woman and the doctors were not worried at all. If anything I just ate better and stayed active. Good Luck!
  • Slimithy
    Slimithy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    My wife found out she wa pregnant about 34 pounds into her weightoss journey. Her beginning weight was close to yours. She is now 8 months in and has only gained a total of 8 pounds (the ultrasound last week said about 4.5 of those were specifically the baby). Doc simply asked her at the beginning what her daily caloric intake was and not to reduce it; but not to feel any need to enlarge it either (her calorie goal was 1650 a day at the time). So I guess I would sau you probably don't want to try to lose weight while pregnant, but if you are already big there is no reason to gain a huge amount of weight either...
  • 5050jnernst
    Options
    Definitely talk with you doctor, and also perhaps a registered dietcian. This is a topic for a medical professional for sure. Chances are that your doctor would probably like to see you lose some weight before becoming pregnant. I am a retired medical professional and would again caution you to talk with you doctor first. There can be medical problems that can arise from being pregnant under normal circumstances let alone being overweight.
  • Hola723
    Hola723 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Bump. I've been wondering the same thing. :)
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Talk to your dr, midwife or OB. I am 30 weeks pregnant and here because I was recently diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I was about 180 pounds pre-pregnancy and was 207 pounds when I was diagnosed at 27 weeks. The gestational diabetes diet my midwife has me on is between 2000 - 2300 calories a day, depending on what I am eating, and I am losing about a pound a week right now. My midwife is not concerned because the baby is growing as he should, but it does worry me!

I think if you eat healthier food than you were pre-pregnancy it is only natural that some weight will come off. But I would not focus on weight loss, you need to ensure your child is getting all the nutrients they need!
  • HSmamato4
    Options
    Thanks for all of the replies.

To be clear, I will not be trying to lose weight while pregnant.

Also, as stated this would be my 5th child (6th pregnancy), so I've been around this block a few times and have always had VERY healthy pregnancies, and yes I have been overweight with all of them.

As a previous commenter stated (thank you, by the way) it will take me at least 2 years, I am estimating, to get to my goal weight (130). I HAVE been working very hard to lose weight. I have lost 30 pounds so far. I eat a healthy diet, limit my sugar intake (actually doing a sugar detox right now), and eat whole grains, lean meats and local produce.

I plan to continue with a similar diet once I am pregnant with possibly increasing some of my whole grains/fruits. I try to have these in limited quantities right now but I know baby will need complex carbs.

And I am not getting pregnant tomorrow. My husband has moved to Florida do to a job change and I am trying to sell our house 1100 miles away, so kinda hard to get pregnant when I never see him! We are thinking of trying maybe in June or July to have a spring baby. So I have a good 6 more months to get more weight off.

I was just curious what others had experienced. I have not really gained any weight with any of my pregnancies. A few pounds towards the end and that was it-my babies are big and I would be down 25 pounds within 2 weeks of delivery (I nurse which helps). I did gain about 40 with my first but she was a late August baby and I retained so much water it was ridiculous. I seriously had ankles like an elephant. No issues with pre-e or anything like that though.

Obviously, I want to be as healthy as possible going into a pregnancy, but I was just curious if it would be okay to continue to lose weight. My focus would not be trying to lose but rather maintaining my healthy lifestyle. Of course, I will talk to my midwife, but I just wanted to know if anyone else had gotten pregnant while trying to lose and how that changed things.

Thanks for your responses.

I