Strength Training Class?

I take a 50 minute strength training class at the gym using 2.5 or 5 lb weights. Any idea how I would record that on my exercise log? I'm really trying to keep up with my food and exercise log, so any suggestions would be great!! Thank you!!

Replies

• addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Its actually very hard to tell how many calories you've burnt with out knowing your heart rate the entire 50 min. For the most part you can gauge it with how intense you were that day.
    ~500 calories moderate intensity
    ~700 calories working hard but not hardest
    <1,000 calories. This is working your hardest non stopping, no modifications, this is the work out where you feel exhausted and want more at the end.
  • nkosky
    nkosky Posts: 115 Member
    Thank you! That does help!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    I don't believe those numbers are correct at all. Even myself lifting at 45 minutes with heavy weights, I burn about 300-350 calories. Weight lifting doesn't burn alot of calories during the exercise.

Also, 2.5 to 5lb weights are extremely light. Bump the weights up for better results.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • nkosky
    Well, I actually was only going to say about maybe 100 calories burned!! I'm a light weight on the weights!! I know I need to go higher, but it HURTS!!! :smile: Thanks for the info!!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    I've used a HRM during Body Pump class, which is built around weight lifting, and I usually burn around 400 cals an hour in that. But there's a huge variation, depending on weight lifted, effort expended etc.

But yes, go heavier!
  • nkosky
    On MFP, strength training doesn't "Count" for daily exercise, must be cardio. Correct? I need the weights to build muscle, very little cardio involved in the class! I'm just tired a getting mushy!! My goal is to increase weights after four classes, I have a shoulder injury so I know I need to be careful.

Thanks, everyone, for your input! Really appreciate it!!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Personally, I'd classify it as strength training with light effort, which according to the METs compendium I use is 3 METs. Subtract out the 1 MET that is our normal metabolism not counting exercise to get 2 METs for the exercise you log. Find your weight in Kilograms by dividing your weight in pounds by 2.2. Then multiply your weight in kilograms by 2 METs and by 0.0175 to get Calories per minute. Then multiply Calories per minute by the number of minutes to get the total calories burned.

For example:
    220 pound person / 2.2 = 100 kilograms
    100 kilograms x 2 METs x 0.0175 = 3.5 Calories per minute
    3.5 Calories x 50 minute class = 175 Calories for the class
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    You can find strength training listed in the MFP cardio section - but it is a very rough estimate.
  • nkosky
    Found it, and thank you!! Not sure why I never saw it before!!