• hbarney
    hbarney Posts: 434
    Options
    bump
  • gbloom182
    gbloom182 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Glad to see you all like it!
    What is polenta and where would I find it in the market?

Looks really good!

Try finding it near the deli/cheese section. Not all stores carry the tube of polenta.
    We like to use it in place of pasta. It's like a dough made from cornmeal. It's also pretty good grilled with a bowl of chili.
  • Tkhk0514
    Tkhk0514 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Polenta can be found in the mexican food isle of the grocery store.

I am trying this now...just put it in the oven. I was going to add canned chicken but then I forgot..was too busy trying to pay attention to the recipe.

Will let you all know how it turns out
  • Cristy4Hannah
    Cristy4Hannah Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    WHAT is Polenta and what does it taste like? :bigsmile:
  • tlsegar
    tlsegar Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I wonder how it would taste if black beans were substituted for refried? I think I will try it.
  • d3johnson
    Options
    Love Mexican food. Thanks for the recipe.
  • d3johnson
    Options
    It's really thick cooked cornmeal. You can make your own if you can not find it in the store. Recipes are on the internet. Easy to make.
  • ybodwen
    ybodwen Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Too lazy to make it- I buy it at trader joe's
  • gbloom182
    Options
    I wonder how it would taste if black beans were substituted for refried? I think I will try it.

I'm sure it would rock with black beans too! The fat-free refried beans just makes it more substantial.
  • Tkhk0514
    Tkhk0514 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    i made it using rotel (tomatoes and jalapenos - kind of spicy) I used two cans. I used refried beans and fiesta style corn. I didnt use two cups of cheese, probably closer to one cup.

It was so good. Both my kids loved it. This recipe is a keeper. Very nice portion size for the calorie count.

Next time I make it I will add chicken to each layer and a bit more cheese. '

I give this two thumbs up and would highly recommend it.
  • gbloom182
    Options
    i made it using rotel (tomatoes and jalapenos - kind of spicy) I used two cans. I used refried beans and fiesta style corn. I didnt use two cups of cheese, probably closer to one cup.

It was so good. Both my kids loved it. This recipe is a keeper. Very nice portion size for the calorie count.

Next time I make it I will add chicken to each layer and a bit more cheese. '

I give this two thumbs up and would highly recommend it.

Glad the kids liked it! Can't go wrong with two thumbs up! :)
  • rachbry5
    rachbry5 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Save
  • lucy2808
    lucy2808 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • twiglips
    twiglips Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • BaileyKat52
    BaileyKat52 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Sounds really tasty. Now I just have to figure out you can buy polenta here....hmmmm lol
  • Baloo
    Baloo Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    bump . . . thanks.
  • feliciakw
    Options
    First time posting to these forums, and I just wanted to let you know that our casserole was a huge success. I made it for lunch this afternoon, and my husband told me, "Don't lose this recipe!" He really liked it a LOT. (He also said that he'd like to make it for friends sometime.)

I'm thinking about trying a "Cuban" variation, using lean pulled pork and black beans.

Thanks for the great recipe!

:smile:
  • Fierce4summer
    Fierce4summer Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Bump....am definitely going to try this! Sounds filling and good!
  • fourluvbugs
    fourluvbugs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump. Sounds deeeelicious! Will definitely give it a try.