Coconut Oil Benefits for Women

mommyoverboard
mommyoverboard Posts: 105
edited October 7 in Food and Nutrition
I just read an artical in First for Women and it was explaining the benefits of coconut oils.

The list includes:

Shedding Pounds: prompts liver cells to burn fat 50% faster by adding 2Tbs of oil to your daily diet

Dodging cold/flu: Revs production of white blood cells, kills germs on contact, also cut the length of time you are ill add 3Tbs/day

Make hair soft and shiny: Nourishes hair follicles and destroys dandruff-causing yeast .Massage 2Tbs of oil into dry scalp or hair, cover with shower cap and shampoo 30 min later.

Heal irritated skin: Dab coconut onto trouble spots twice/day. Coconuts lauric acid dials down inflammation, kills pimple causing bacteria & diminishes fine lines

Speed up sluggish glands: Speeds the conversion of food into energy

Revive feminine dryness: 1/4tsp of the oil applied directly helps with dryness and warding off infection

Replies

• Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    I looove coconut oil!
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    and makes the best popcorn!!
  • sunnybrunette126
    sunnybrunette126 Posts: 200 Member
    I read the same article and loved it. I need to go out and buy some!
  • I use it on my skin after a shower. It is a miracle for dry, sensitive skin issues!
  • midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    not to mention it tastes great!
  • Neize
    Neize Posts: 301 Member
    good information!
  • If you buy coconut oil, do you mind sharing where you purchase it at and how much it cost - also, if you could include what you use it for???

Thanks so much!
  • jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Thanks for sharing, I just bought some today!!
  • jbiancad
    jbiancad Posts: 66 Member
    do you just add it to your food..?
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    do you just add it to your food..?

Use it like you would use any other kind of oil.
  • rhaya96
    rhaya96 Posts: 66 Member
    Do you literally buy it as an oil or a pill?
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    I was looking at this in the store the other day, I put it back on the shelf and decided to wait until I could do some more research on it....this is great info, thank you for sharing!
  • dragonfly1178
    dragonfly1178 Posts: 55 Member
    I love coconut oil! I take 1 tablespoon right before I head out for my workout every day. I feel great right after taking it. I buy mine at a health/natural food store for $8 a jar. Coconut oil is awesome!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    I buy mine as an oil - sold in a glass jar and I got it at a health food store.
    I don't LOVE the taste, but for the health benefits I'm willing to take a teaspoon straight up. :)
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    As an oil. It comes in a jar. It is solid and white at room temp. You can get it food grade from whole foods stores or in the whole foods section of the grocery store. You can also buy it at beauty supply stores.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    I don't LOVE the taste, but for the health benefits I'm willing to take a teaspoon straight up. :)

You are a SOLDIER! I can't eat it!
  • servilia
    ps if you take it, make sure to count it in your daily cals as it has just as many cals as any other fat - about 120 per tablespoon.
  • servilia

You are a SOLDIER! I can't eat it!

Haha thanks. I usually chase it with fish oil (I read fish oil is best when taken with saturated fat).
  • not to mention it tastes great!

This is good to know because the taste is the first thing that came to my mind :)
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    I used to take it in oil form ... but the calories and fat really do add up, even though it is a " good " form of fat ... it still plays havoc on my numbers. So, I switched to pill form and I love it ! It is very beneficial and a great source to cook with ! :)
  • Clylene
    Clylene Posts: 4 Member
    I use coconut oil after shower also. I don't use any body lotions. I save alot of money. My skin feels so soft. I purchase it from www.puritanspride.com 16 oz is 24.99, but they have buy one get one free right now. I will be looking around for cheaper prices. Thanks for the article!
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    I recently switched to coconut for oil/butter/milk. I still drink some nonfat organic milk, but i put coconut milk in my oatmeal or I use coconut oil when cooking. I heard when cooking veggies you should use it. Not sure how true that is. Coconut butter is so awesome straight up. Yum! I also just bought some coconut milk "ice cream" - heaven!

Trader Joe's now sells coconut oil, but usually I get it at Whole Foods because I prefer organic.
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    my husband stirs a teaspoon full into his first cup of coffee each day.
  • Dr. Oz just had on his show that coconut oil is better on your lips than lip balm, too. So, one more thing to do with it!

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/are-you-addicted-lip-balm
  • This is just so fascinating!

For those of you that were asking how it "comes" - I think this artical was indorsing the idea of the actual oil that comes as a solid. You heat it up for a few seconds to mix it in with your food or drink. But because it is a thicker texture you can also use it as a lotion.

Great thread, keep on sharing!
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Yes coconut oil doesn't come like olive oil does. It's a solid in a jar, but once you heat it, it melts and it looks like any other oil. Also has a higher burning point.

I remember many years ago the media saying oh don't eat movie theater popcorn cause it's made in coconut oil and loaded with fat. I wonder what they use now?
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    I used Coconut Oil because i had read that its good for weight loss, I didn't see any difference in losing when using
    it. I also saw on Dr Oz's show that it is also very fattening for you. They suggest a different type of oil to use instead.
    I can't remember the name of it though.
  • servilia
    Whether or not it's liquid will depend on your room temperature. At first, sitting in my kitchen cabinet, it used to be solid. Since they've turned the heating up (because it's winter now), it's liquid and I don't have to heat it up at all.
  • Probably straight lard LOL
    Yes coconut oil doesn't come like olive oil does. It's a solid in a jar, but once you heat it, it melts and it looks like any other oil. Also has a higher burning point.

I remember many years ago the media saying oh don't eat movie theater popcorn cause it's made in coconut oil and loaded with fat. I wonder what they use now?
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    I love coconut oil! I use it to cook my oat pancake every morning, love the taste. I bought it in a jar from an organic shop... I was stoked when I found it, as it's the only place in Istanbul I've found it. Was a bit expensive, but totally worth it.
This discussion has been closed.