Online Dating

Options
maryd523
maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
I finally bit the bullet and signed up for a free online dating site last night. So far, I've gotten lots of responses from guys and even have a date planned for Sunday! (Bowling and sushi.)

I know that plenty of people on here met their significant others through online dating, so I guess I'm just looking for a little advice or encouragement....for example, I instintively want to post the most flattering pictures of myself I can find, but is that really a good idea? I don't want someone to meet me in person and be disappointed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I am quite nervous. All my previous boyfriends have been friends first.

Replies

• AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    18 years ago I met my husband on a BBS. I would suggest a flattering but accurate photo. Back then it was tough just to get one online. I had a friend take one with a Polaroid and then scan it. My husband's computer couldn't even view it so he had to drive to a friends house who had a powerful enough computer! I digress though....Since most dating sites allow for multiple photos put a few up but don't get overly creative with camera angles!

Good luck and have fun!
  • maryd523
    Options
    18 years ago I met my husband on a BBS. I would suggest a flattering but accurate photo. Back then it was tough just to get one online. I had a friend take one with a Polaroid and then scan it. My husband's computer couldn't even view it so he had to drive to a friends house who had a powerful enough computer! I digress though....Since most dating sites allow for multiple photos put a few up but don't get overly creative with camera angles!

Good luck and have fun!

See...that is what I'm talking about! How great for you guys. Funny about the pictures and the computers. :)
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    My friend was the only one I knew that actually had a color scanner. And I was in a large circle of computer geeks. We had all the toys but back then I was smoking with a 14.4 baud modem! :laugh:

Obviously, don't forget safety. Meet in a neutral and public spot, etc.
  • skinnnybride
    Options
    I know sooo many people who have had success with online dating. Post lots of pictures of yourself! Talk to them a while before rushing into a date. Make them fall in love with your personality first :) That has worked for people I know. Best of luck!!
  • mommyoverboard
    Options
    I met my, now husband, on plentyoffish.com and I'm really happy. He was not the first guy I went on a date with from there, but was the last! :)

I put up pictures that were flattering, because getting your foot in the door is key, and after all, you are going to try and make yourself as flattering as possible on your first date anyway.

Do NOT put up pictures of you in HS. Try and keep pictures up that are sort of recent. Be yourself and don't get to over concerned with weather or not each date works out. Relax, have fun, enjoy yourself, and remember that you have plenty of others waiting in line behind THIS guy.
  • KaeChelle
    KaeChelle Posts: 576
    Options
    I met my husband online. I just put up a pic of me from my shoulders up. He said he fell in love with my smile. Just be careful. I met several losers before I met my husband. It can be dangerous, but I'm happy with the end result!
  • nice i was thinking about trying a dating site out too, which one did you use? its just getting ridiculous trying to find the right girl to date
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    I met my husband on yahoo personals 6 years ago. I actually didn't give him my number for the first month while we were seeing each other, I would always call him blocked call. I did that just in case he was a freak and I didn't want to see him any more. Also before I went anywhere with him in his car I did a criminal background check on him.
    He was a really great guy understood why I was careful and was accommodating. I posted all sorts of photos, some all dolled up and others on a hike. My suggestion is focus on enjoying your time, you will get to know each other with time.
    Don't ever be afraid to be cautious, I found out after a few dates some of the people I was with were not that great or were actually married and cheating with their wife. It was quite uncomfortable, and easily avoidable. Just do your home work and you don't even have to tell them anything about it at all.

Good luck and have a great time :)
  • vilyli6
    vilyli6 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I met my husband on a religious matrimonial website. I had met others before and they were losers. I think the thing that caught my attention with him is that he asked the right questions, not about my looks or size, etc., but how I felt about issues, what mattered to me, what I was looking for in a partner. He came from overseas, we met, married 17 days later and have now been married 3 1/2 years. He is, in my eyes, perfect. I would not want to change one thing about him. He married me overweight with 6 kids. He told me you can always change the outside of a person, but its hard to change the heart. He told me he loved my heart most. He is my biggest supporter. And a bonus, he loves my family and they love him.
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    The photo you have on here is a nice one it shows you have a nice shape you will get plenty of fish nibbling your way Best wishes hope you find the man of your dreams. If not throw him back and keep fishing never give up he is out there.
  • hereiskristina
    Options
    I met my wonderful husband online and he traveled across the country over the course of almost 2 years to see me. We married on June 27,2010 and he is my answered prayer. Make no mistake though, he did not get my phone number for about a month and before he came on the first trip there was a background check done. I never imagined that I would meet someone that way and was not even looking for it (I thought it was a social network not a dating site!) but by accident I met an angel!
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    There's a great movie from the 1980's that all women need to see. It's called Looking for Mr. Goodbar, with Diane Keaton. It's not a comedy. Please be very, very careful. Don't give out your full name, don't get in a car with him, don't give him your address. Keep all personal information out of it. There are many sick guys out there who will say whatever they need to say to get you to trust them, and then things can go very badly. Meet in very public places. Take friends with you. I'm not kidding.
  • hereiskristina
    Options
    Too true be very careful about giving out your number too and always get a background check done.
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Todd and I met at match.com five years ago. We are now married and have an eight month old. =)
  • maryd523
    Options
    I love all these stories and advice, thank you!