Cutting all flour based products for 2012

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Oh, and for anyone wanting to argue, check the nutritional info at any popular restaurant. Olive gardens pastas weigh in at 1200-1500 calories a dish. Being mostly flour based, its safe to say you dont' want all your calories to come from one meal.

Their rolls and breadsticks start off around 150 calories each, eat 2 or 3 of them and its nearly a third of what most of you on here should be eating.

Again, its pretty easy to avoid that stuff.

Or eat it every day, and workout for an extra 2 hours................................................................

you're using extremes, what about if it's a slice of toast with breakfast or a cookie that's likely under 150cals? Seeing as the more restrictive a diet is, the worse adherence to said diet is, it's likely better to not cut out entire food groups/products and instead consume them in moderation
  • lisateachawa
    lisateachawa Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    My doc suggested for me to read the "Wheat Belly" book. I ordered it and am going to try and follow it. I have always loved breads and tend to over eat them. So if I can eat more healthy using fruits and veggies instead of bread - why not! So I also will be cutting out flour based products and ones with gluten. (sugar and soda ,too)
    Feel free to add me as a friend. We are in the same food boat :)
  • rico1923
    Options
    No metabolic disorder. I had a conversation with a gentleman who has one, and according to him, weight literally fell off. To me, there is nothing wrong with substituting a hamburger bun with a leaf of lettuce, or just fighting to let go of the delicious carbs in mac and cheese. I like to try new things, and I feel like this is something I can do.

You can use lettuce instead of bread, radicchio/endive/jicama instead of crackers; spaghetti sqash/zucchini strands(cut with a veg. peeler) for pasta; eggplant/zucchini layers in your lasagna; tomatoes/peppers/winter squash/portabella mushrooms are great for filling up with some kind of stuffing; sweet potato/butternut squash/pureed cauliflower are good substitutes for potatoes- lots of choices out there to cut down on simple carbs. Just find a comfort zone and go for it-gets real easy after 2 weeks.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    My diet focused on fruits and veggies, beans and lentils, any nuts and seeds that I am not allergic to, eggs and tofu. My carbs are usually quinoa, buckwheat, or potato. I do some baking with buckwheat and tapioca flour occasionally, but minimal, and since I have to make it all from scratch, I don't go overboard!

Let me know if you need more details or help.

Pam
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    No metabolic disorder. I had a conversation with a gentleman who has one, and according to him, weight literally fell off. To me, there is nothing wrong with substituting a hamburger bun with a leaf of lettuce, or just fighting to let go of the delicious carbs in mac and cheese. I like to try new things, and I feel like this is something I can do.

You need some grains, even people with gluten intollerances need grains. Cut out refined grains (white rice, white bread, etc). If you want to go gluten free then just make sure you eat a lot of brown rice & quinoa. Quinoa is amazing, lots of protein too!
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I found wheat was the issue for me i have to say I had huge tummy 48" around and I'm only 5ft 3 and half.. since I cut wheat (not ALL carbs/grains) my tummy has shrunk... tummy now down to 35 ", waist is currently 31" (from 38 " hoping to get them both down to 30" so can fit in some skinny 30 " waist jeans!!

There is a book called wheat belly or something which I've heard of but not the read the whole thing. my daily and monthly water fluctuations are also much less my weight previously varied by about 5lb per day now its 1lb... monthlies I'd put on 6-10lb and it'd take a week to come off.. now around 4lb and going off after a few days.

I use gluten free bread which is actually higher calorie than regular bread but still I've lost 32lb and all those inches off tummy and waist. I still eat rice and oats.. i don't check all ingredients of everything for wheat/gluten but just cutting out the bulk of it daily worked for me.

Previously although I was calorie counting I was having healthy wheat based cereals for breakfast - special K etc, lunch usually involved a 'healthy' salad sandwich, pitta bread or wrap (all wheat based) and dinner usually involved pasta, rice, or potatoes EVERYday.

I tried brown rice and didn't like it, meaning to try quinoa but keep forgetting to add it to my shopping list! I just use cauliflower whizzed up in processor and steamed in place of rice with curry/chilli and a soft corn tortilla in place of chapatti/naan bread or wheat based tortilla.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options

You need some grains, even people with gluten intollerances need grains. Cut out refined grains (white rice, white bread, etc). If you want to go gluten free then just make sure you eat a lot of brown rice & quinoa. Quinoa is amazing, lots of protein too!

what does Quinoa taste like by the way? .. I'm a bit nervous of buying a bag of it.. like did brown rice then not liking it and it getting thrown away.. I don't have a big budget to be able to afford throwing away food frequently if I don't like it.
  • fitJoce
    fitJoce Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I cut out all the white stuff and lost 30 lbs. I was addicted to the stuff and found that after 2 weeks of cleansing myself I was free of the cravings. Yes, grains are ok, but there is no nutritional value in the white stuff. try sticking to whole grains and you will be fine. In the last few days I let myself eat a lot of crap and today I feel like crap.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten-free because I have an intolerance (not sure if this is what you are looking for). I cook with rice flour, corn pasta, rice pasta, corn starch.. There's also potato flour, but it is 4x as expensive haha. I get my pre-made gluten-free stuff at Whole Foods.

Quinoa is delicious. I recently tried a quinoa burger recipe that I LOVED. Message me if you want the recipe. It does have rice flour in it.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options

what does Quinoa taste like by the way? .. I'm a bit nervous of buying a bag of it.. like did brown rice then not liking it and it getting thrown away.. I don't have a big budget to be able to afford throwing away food frequently if I don't like it.

Quinoa is kind of like grits, if you just cook up a big pot of it, but it has lots of uses and is very mild and easily spiced to suit different dishes.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    NOPE!
    All foods are OK but in moderation.

I need to satisfy my cravings once a week on these types of foods or I start to lose motivation.
    I take a weekly free day to maintenance and a monthly food binge.

LOVE IT, and my results speak for itself.
  • ❤B☩❤
    Options
    You are a way stronger person than I am... I love bread too much to cut out all that stuff! Good work though!

AMEN, SISTER! :drinker:
  • fitJoce
    Options
    NOPE!
    All foods are OK but in moderation.
    That is provided that one can eat them in moderation. Some foods like sugar and white flour are highly addictive to some people, in which case it's better to just stay away from it altogether. There is no nutritional benefit to sugar and white startch.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options

Can you eat whole wheat? I havent had any white flour products for 4 months.
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Things like bread, pasta, rices, cake, cinnamon rolls- all the good stuff.
    What are some good things I can eat to fill the hole in my heart? :]

Rice is not made of flour.... it is made of rice.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    Options
    I cut out all the white stuff and lost 30 lbs. I was addicted to the stuff and found that after 2 weeks of cleansing myself I was free of the cravings. Yes, grains are ok, but there is no nutritional value in the white stuff. try sticking to whole grains and you will be fine. In the last few days I let myself eat a lot of crap and today I feel like crap.

Do you eat whole wheat instead of the white stuff? I havent had any white stuff in 4 months. The weight is not falling off me. I was told a lot has to do with my age, my metabolism and the lack of muscle. BTW, Doctors told me this.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    Options
    Things like bread, pasta, rices, cake, cinnamon rolls- all the good stuff.
    What are some good things I can eat to fill the hole in my heart? :]

Rice is not made of flour.... it is made of rice.

I snt rice fattening? It is white? What about potatoes?
  • slayerdan
    slayerdan Posts: 193
    Options
    The blanket cutting of all foods at one time is rarely successful.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Don't see why, but to each his/her own.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • fitJoce
    Options
    Do you eat whole wheat instead of the white stuff? I havent had any white stuff in 4 months. The weight is not falling off me. I was told a lot has to do with my age, my metabolism and the lack of muscle. BTW, Doctors told me this.
    I do, I just make sure I measure out my serving size. When I did my 2 week cleanse though I cut out all startches completely and then slowly re incorporated the whole grain stuff back in.