already exceeding calories O.o

Ugh, I already ate too many calories on day one!!! I'm already discouraged.

Replies

• elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    I did the same thing. I had no idea how much I was mindlessly consuming until I started using MFP. It does get easier, I promise you. Don't give up, you can do it!
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Don't be discouraged!!! The first couple of weeks were really hard for me. Logging really puts what you are eating in your face (so to speak :0). First we have to realize what we are eating and what that looks like… then work on making it better. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will your brand new inside-and-out body!

Keep it up. Stick with it! I like looking at my friends' diaries. I find lots of inspiration and new things to eat there. Uh, but, don't look at mine right now :blushing: I gave myself December "off" … just intended to maintain, not lose… so I've been a bad girl. BUT, I met my goal! I did not gain anything. Starting tomorrow, I'm back on the weight loss wagon.
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Me too! i was doing great till a family member suggested we go to golden coral for dinner and I lost it even with small portions of everything. But damn it tasted good. I came home and walked around the parking lot for 20 minutes while the dog was outside and now waiting for my stomach to settle a little more so I can run and get rid of some of the calories.lol Tomorrow is another day.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,380 Member
    It's a learning process. You don't realize how much you're eating until you start logging it. Once you actually SEE how things add up (and how quickly!) you start to figure out ways to make different choices so you can budget those calories throughout the day.

Also, this is an excellent motivation to exercise. If you exercise and log your activity, you 'earn' additional calories onto your goal for that day. If you have to go by MFP's estimate for calories burned during your exercise, you might consider either underestimating the time you spend doing the activity or purposely eating only a portion of the extra calories earned, b/c many people find that MFPs estimates are a bit high.
  • Goldenbast
    Goldenbast Posts: 227 Member
    Think of it as a learning curve. If you are faithfully logging everything you eat you will then have, at a glance, just what goes in your mouth and you can use it to streamline your diet plan. I did this when I first started here before the hiatus....I was shocked at how many calories I could pack on and thinking I was doing good! It can make you stop and think about what you are eating. Like maybe you look over your list and see that you have a meal that was high in calories or fat, you could then maybe cut it down a little bit and add extra veggies or fruit.....trust me you will see a difference and FEEL the difference! :) Happy eating!
  • Take a few steps at a time. Maybe you could log everything you will eat beforehand so when you follow it, you will know whether you're exceeding or not.
    Just remember that nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying :) So keep at it!
    Also, write up a list of why you want to do this e.g. to be healthy, to live longer, to feel comfortable with yourself, etc. and along with that maybe put a motivational picture or quote on your fringe or wall to motivate you. Whenever you feel discouraged look at the list and tell yourself YOU CAN DO THIS :)
  • NeonNikki
    NeonNikki Posts: 87 Member
    I was super hung over so I had a horrible day as well :( Hopefully will make up for it tomorrow.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Please don't get discouraged, it is a discovery process and you will likely go over as you learn what you can eat and what you will look at and go omg I can't believe that has 20g fat. So be patient, use the food search to maybe improve your food choices and make some friends and if they are doing well, look at their diaries. We are all here to learn and lose.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    For the first couple of weeks just work on logging everything you eat. Obviously you should try smaller portions and lower cal options, but give yourself some time to adjust to logging everything. It takes time and practice, and the first step is just realizing where the problems are. Don't get discouraged-- keep going and you will see the benefits, I promise.
  • cartea01
    cartea01 Posts: 156 Member
    Don't be discouraged. I suggest logging your food BEFORE you eat it :) It makes you question whether something is "worth" it :)
  • hope25
    hope25 Posts: 188 Member
    Hang in there!! The first week I went over several times it took me a while to really see how much was the right amount. I have only been doing it for the last three weeks or so but it seems each week is getting a bit easier to see how much I should be eating.
  • kemeko
    kemeko Posts: 158 Member
    Don't be discouraged... just be true to yourself and log everything. This is a learning process. Before you know it, you will be within your calorie goal. It really helps to look at other food diaries too!

Best of luck on day #2! You can do it! :smile:
  • Megan2Project
    Megan2Project Posts: 351 Member
    Ugh, I already ate too many calories on day one!!! I'm already discouraged.

NO! See it as a learning experience! If we all knew how to stay in our calories on day one we wouldn't need MFP!

Look over your day and see where you went over, what you can replace and plan for next time!!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Hey!
    Stop it!

As long as you are eating below TDEE you will be fine!
    Stop kicking yourself in the balls!
  • mimi10453
    mimi10453 Posts: 89 Member
    Don't feel that way. Keep logging your foods and you'll learn what not to eat. It's only your first day.
  • MummyHungry
    MummyHungry Posts: 82 Member
    In my first week here I went over more days than not. I still lost, and got better at choosing foods. Hang in there, you'll do great! :smile:
  • You learn as you go, the first few days are used to get control of what you are eating. After a few days you can start planning your meals ahead of time and thats how you get through this plan. YOU CAN DO IT!! Today is the beginning of your life. I joined in mid Oct and have lost 26 pds.:flowerforyou:
  • This is my first week and I went over BIG time yesterday! But just use the knowledge that you have gained and start up again tomorrow. I agree with the others on logging in your food before you eat. It has helped me to not over eat. And measuring everything helps to!
  • nenamartinez
    nenamartinez Posts: 140 Member
    Don't worry, we all have those days!! If you can, why not do some exercise? Put on some music and jump around or clean something-- do dishes or scrub the bathtub or anything. Then you can log that exercise and get your calories back on track.

Still, though, you're not going to be perfect every day. Even long-time users and successful dieters aren't 100% on schedule every single day.

One of the things I do to keep on track is track my calories BEFORE I eat. Because otherwise I'll make my healthy meal, eat it .. and realize afterwards that my "healthy" meal was actually A BILLION CALORIES!! Yikes..

So yes. Try to put all the calories in before you actually eat so you don't accidentally blow it..
  • justbecause2014
    justbecause2014 Posts: 371 Member
    Thank you all! I over slept today and didn't do breakfast. Ate a fast food lunch which I thought would be better then it was....ended up eating almost all my calories in one meal O.O but I went ahead and logged my dinner and it still wasn't exceeding the calorie intake :) Better get off my booty and go for a nice, cold jog! :)