your thoughts on whey protein shakes...good or bad for you?

Options
Ive started drinking whey protein shakes as a meal supplement to help me with my weight loss. I was wondering if anyone else has tried this or if they have any information if it helps lose weight.

Replies

• tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    It can help.
    I lost better when I was eating higher protein.

Whey is supposed to "gel" in your stomach and help you feel full longer.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    it helps to meet your protein needs if you cant eat enough foods with protein

weight loss requires a caloric deficit

so...really...no...whey protein alone isnt going to help weight loss
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I absolutely rely on whey protein shakes for breakfast. I need to do low carb for medical reasons, and whey protein shakes are my go-to breakfast.
  • tonyamc1234
    Options
    im drinking the shakes and still staying at my calorie goal but some of the posts ive seen on the internet say it can make you gain weight? so now im confused
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    They are great for post-workout recovery! Especially after weight training. Some protein powders (not just whey protein) are better for post-workout and some do a better job for meal replacement. I use Gaspari Nutrition MyoFusion protein powder. Tastes great and is a great post-workout recovery blend. I mix it with a fast-acting carb, too, like Vitargo S2. I wouldn't use that particular protein powder as a meal replacement, simply because it's quite expensive and goes quickly. Also, beware... if you have a sensitive stomach, protein powder will make you very gassy... Beano usually helps with that... Anyways, there are lots of different kinds of proteins, not just whey. Soy protein is a complete protein (all the amino acids you need) and is more vegan friendly.

Using any kind of protein powder that is low in fat and sugars is a really great supplement to your diet. I find it really difficult to meet my protein goal (40% of my calories) from regular food sources. Protein powder really helps with that, and it's really easy to make. I recommend a blender bottle, if you don't already have one. Makes packing a shake to take with you to drink later much easier and a lot less messier.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    im drinking the shakes and still staying at my calorie goal but some of the posts ive seen on the internet say it can make you gain weight? so now im confused

the only way to gain weight is with a caloric surplus
  • tonyamc1234
    Options
    They are great for post-workout recovery! Especially after weight training. Some protein powders (not just whey protein) are better for post-workout and some do a better job for meal replacement. I use Gaspari Nutrition MyoFusion protein powder. Tastes great and is a great post-workout recovery blend. I mix it with a fast-acting carb, too, like Vitargo S2. I wouldn't use that particular protein powder as a meal replacement, simply because it's quite expensive and goes quickly. Also, beware... if you have a sensitive stomach, protein powder will make you very gassy... Beano usually helps with that... Anyways, there are lots of different kinds of proteins, not just whey. Soy protein is a complete protein (all the amino acids you need) and is more vegan friendly.

Using any kind of protein powder that is low in fat and sugars is a really great supplement to your diet. I find it really difficult to meet my protein goal (40% of my calories) from regular food sources. Protein powder really helps with that, and it's really easy to make. I recommend a blender bottle, if you don't already have one. Makes packing a shake to take with you to drink later much easier and a lot less messier.

yea this one has only 140 calories and only 2 grams of protein and low in sugar and i use 0% milk to mix it with
  • blueandigo
    Options
    If you want to build muscle they are good.

If you are vegetarian they are good.

Those are reasons that I try to drink it.

But! Stay away from muscle milk.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options

Anything overused is going to be bad for you. As long as you are staying in your calorie goal, I would say, Drink Up! :) They are a good way to get the protein you need.
  • tonyamc1234
    Options
    thanks everyone for all the info! :)
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options

Just curious. Why stay away from Muscle Milk? I've not heard this before.
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I have an odd reaction to whey protein. When I drink them I feel like I can't breath and become extremely bloated. I have tried various kinds and no matter what I have this reaction. I also gain weight-not muscle even while staying under my calories. I know there are people who are really for them but I am not one of them-I prefer real protein.
  • blueandigo
    Options

Just curious. Why stay away from Muscle Milk? I've not heard this before.
    I've heard it makes you fat unlike those other ones in the red container you get from GNC. Maybe it is just the prepared kind that makes you fat.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    yea this one has only 140 calories and only 2 grams of protein and low in sugar and i use 0% milk to mix it with

Wait!

This "protein shake" has only 2 grams of protein?

Hate to tell, you, that is not a protein shake, no matter what the labeling is trying to say. I'm not sure how they are reaching 140 calories if it is low in sugar, unless you are comparing sugar to like fruit juice or pop.

If you want a decent meal replacement that is higher in protein than in carbs, and decent amount of fat, to fill you up for 3-4 hrs, then try Six Star Pro Nutrition - Muscle Building Milk Shake (confirm it's the shake version since they make other protein drinks) - 3 different flavors.

And it mixes great with water, so should mix well with your skim milk, though you don't need to.
    Oh, and you can get it at Walmart, if your local carries it.
  • heybales
    Options
    ]I've heard it makes you fat unlike those other ones in the red container you get from GNC. Maybe it is just the prepared kind that makes you fat.

Frankly, too much of anything is going to make you fat, no matter how nutritious it is.

You might ask whoever made that comment as to "why" they think it makes you fat.

Perhaps because it isn't very filling or it tastes really great, and you'll drink like 4 of them, about 2000 calories worth, in one setting? Or the guy at GNC selling the product was explaining how the more expensive one was better for you, but this other makes you fat?

Now that is a reason. But in and of themselves, they won't make someone fat.
  • heybales
    Options
    I have an odd reaction to whey protein. When I drink them I feel like I can't breath and become extremely bloated. I have tried various kinds and no matter what I have this reaction. I also gain weight-not muscle even while staying under my calories. I know there are people who are really for them but I am not one of them-I prefer real protein.

Interesting. Same effect from soy protein drinks? Just curious.
  • Krjordan22
    Options
    can help with muscle gain, but why not eat real fuel?
  • Cr357
    Cr357 Posts: 238
    Options
    it helps to meet your protein needs if you cant eat enough foods with protein

weight loss requires a caloric deficit

so...really...no...whey protein alone isnt going to help weight loss
    This^^^^^^^
  • It can help.
    I lost better when I was eating higher protein.

Whey is supposed to "gel" in your stomach and help you feel full longer.

its actually casein that has that effect
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options

I drink Muscle Milk all the time. I'm perfectly fine. I've lost weight. I've kept it off for over a year. So......