WiiFit a good substitute?

Options
For the past year I've said I need to join the gym... but then I got pregnant again with our 3rd daughter etc... she's now 3 months old and I'm ready to get back on track with my weight etc... but with our finances and time and work schedules right now- going to the gym just isn't going to really be an option for me.

Sooooo I was thinking of purchasing the WiiFit. Any comments/suggestions about it? Or another alternate method? My 9 year old loves playing the wii- and i thought maybe doing the wiifit together would be great for BOTH of us- and also give me some motivation because it would be time the two of us can spend alone together - and because she would do it with me, it would give me someone to 'report' too or a way to kinda be held accountable?

Replies

• mablesyrup
    mablesyrup Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    For the past year I've said I need to join the gym... but then I got pregnant again with our 3rd daughter etc... she's now 3 months old and I'm ready to get back on track with my weight etc... but with our finances and time and work schedules right now- going to the gym just isn't going to really be an option for me.

Sooooo I was thinking of purchasing the WiiFit. Any comments/suggestions about it? Or another alternate method? My 9 year old loves playing the wii- and i thought maybe doing the wiifit together would be great for BOTH of us- and also give me some motivation because it would be time the two of us can spend alone together - and because she would do it with me, it would give me someone to 'report' too or a way to kinda be held accountable?
  • marisol7649
    marisol7649 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I made a post yesterday about the same thing! I got the wii coach and love it, this would be a better investment it is only working out, YOu will love it.
  • scaredofcoasters
    scaredofcoasters Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Another good one is Dance Dance Revolution. It takes some time to learn, but once you get up to some of the higher levels, it becomes a serious workout. Before arcades died out, I used to play DDR competitively, and every time I'd leave the arcade sweating and out of breath. It's also on older gaming consoles, so if you have one, it might be cheaper than buying WiiFit.
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Another good one is Dance Dance Revolution. It takes some time to learn, but once you get up to some of the higher levels, it becomes a serious workout. Before arcades died out, I used to play DDR competitively, and every time I'd leave the arcade sweating and out of breath. It's also on older gaming consoles, so if you have one, it might be cheaper than buying WiiFit.
    Our gym just opened up a XArcade which is free to the children who are members. I looked in the window and I think it has the DDR, which I myself have always wanted to try. It looks so cool. Up until now, the kids have been too young to go on any equipment, but a little too old for the Play Center they offer. I'm kind of excited about them being able to participate in activities that allow exercise, even if it like a video game.
  • agapita1965
    agapita1965 Posts: 130
    Options
    I also have the wiifitness coach and have been using it for 2 months. I love it. Because it's right in my living room, I have used it 6 days a week and have been steadily losing weight. The wii coach only cost around 29.00. I wanted to get wii fit but right now am very happy with the wii coach.
  • tree_14
    tree_14 Posts: 11
    Options
    in may I think they are coming out with a game called EA sport active it looks real good , I want the fitness coach but didn't know if was good?
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options

I LOVE DDR, it's sooo much fun, and our gym also has the kid gym, but prents are allowed to go in with their kids to use ddr. I wore my HRM and burned 360 calories dancing for 45 minutes...wooohooo
  • Diannahm
    Diannahm Posts: 7
    Options
    Wii fit is fun but in my opinion its more of fun and games than anything its too easy to cheat either on purpose or by mistake and there's no one to correct you or no real form to watch and learn off of....
  • sixtyinchesoffury
    sixtyinchesoffury Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend brought up the point about it is too easy to cheat on the wii fit also

I thought that would be a lot of work just to end up cheating your way through it.

I love the wii fit and use mine often.
  • alsomm
    alsomm Posts: 1
    Options
    I just got Fitness coach and I love it! I also have Wii Fit, which I don't like except for weighing in and tracking weight loss. You have to stop between each exercise and pick the next one. Yes, you could keep moving during that time, but I find it really annoying. Coach however, provides an actual workout.