Swiss balls - do you have one and is it worth it?

Options
osmium
osmium Posts: 107 Member
My birthday is coming up and I have been asked for present ideas. I have been thinking of adding to my fitness gear and was wondering if a swiss ball is a good thing to own? It's just quite bulky so I don't want to own one if it's just going to get in the way. Or is there something else I should get first? I have some hand-weights and an exercise bike already. Nothing else.

Replies

• osmium
    Options
    My birthday is coming up and I have been asked for present ideas. I have been thinking of adding to my fitness gear and was wondering if a swiss ball is a good thing to own? It's just quite bulky so I don't want to own one if it's just going to get in the way. Or is there something else I should get first? I have some hand-weights and an exercise bike already. Nothing else.
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not the fitness queen...I hate exercising. I do it 'cause it's necessary. That being said, I do like my ball. Stability ball or whatever. I'm sitting on it whenever I'm on the computer. There's no chair here, and I put my feet together and well, practice being stable. I do :heart: it during my TOM. I have lower back pain very often and the ball is a great place to stretch it out, and practice good posture. I also use it for pregnancy pains... The 1st time I did the work outs, I thought they were super hard. I'm really not fit/strong, and it is a core strengthening routine.

Also, my sister-in-law teaches Reading. She uses them as chairs too because the increase blood flow to the brain, and kids can move a bit without causing a distraction.

P.S. My kids like it too, it's big enough to knock each other over with...Boys!:laugh:
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I can't get enough of mine - no really, I had to buy a second, as my youngest son sits on it as soon as he gets home from school!
    I use mine as often as is practical. I've even sat on it to watch a 3 hour film, boy it's soooo comfortable, and really helps with my TOM, I get a lot of low back pain, and the ball really does help ease it.

I think EVERYONE hould own one :flowerforyou:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    they are excellent for stability and core work. I do about 8 different exercises daily.
    Along with being a good replacement for a chair to help your lower back. there
    are at least 10 different core exercise you can do with one.

If you get one, also consider a bosu ball, they can also be a big help. bosu balancing
    and bosu pushups both give great body weight resistance workouts that really
    help your stabalizers (smaller core muscles that keep the rest of your body tight and
    in line).
  • osmium
    Options
    Sounds like a resounding YES vote. Thanks everyone! I need to improve my core so this sounds like an excellent idea :smile:

I've seen those Bosu balls, I wish my gym had one so I could try it out.
  • Joanneh
    Joanneh Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I just recently purchased one but haven't used it yet. I am thinking that it is exercise that should accompany cardio, and I right? Can someone point me towards some good resources on the web on how to use the ball?
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    fitness balls are ok, but if you want a step up, the bosu ball. This thing is amazing, I use it in my yoga studio. Some tensions band are good to have as well, especially for travelling.