Shrinking the stomach

Options
krissa3670
krissa3670 Posts: 76 Member
Is it possible that as your stomach gets used to not having as much food in there it will shrink or is that just an old wives tale?

Replies

• Vhovell
    Vhovell Posts: 286
    Options
    I think its true. I cant manage half the amount of food I could a year ago!!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    The stomach is made of tissue and muscle that expands and contracts as you eat. If you consistently overeat it does definitely stretch out and your body becomes accustomed to needing more food in order to feel full. When you consistently undereat it doesn't really "shrink" per se, it's just your body becoming used to functioning on less food.
  • FlyEaglesGuy
    FlyEaglesGuy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I think its true. I cant manage half the amount of food I could a year ago!!

Agreed, as you consume less calories, your stomach and appetite will learn to adapt, and if you try to eat the same amount as you used to,you will literally get sick!
  • Chadwick891
    Chadwick891 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Definitely true.

I went on a very strict, very clean diet for 10 weeks. Lost 38lb and at the end of it, tried to eat something that I thought was 'easy to eat' because I could eat it before the diet change and I could barely eat a quarter of it before I was completely full.
  • krissa3670
    krissa3670 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the responses :) I was hoping it was true.