55 this year and want a better me

I'll be 55 this year and am sick of being fat!. I've had 3 joint replacements (hip & knees), the most recent being in August of last year and still can't move freely. Tired of pity looks and careful handling like I'm going to explode. I'm only 55 for goodness sake! There is so much I should be able to do. I'm not into my inner thoughts and feelings. I do things because I wanted to do them; some are not always smart choices for weight loss - but it made me feel good. I live alone and I like to cook and bake and see nothing wrong with cookies & cakes; just how much I eat of them in one sitting! If I want to eat something, I'm going to eat it. Some days I'm in a really bad mood, and being fat does not help the situation. I love gardening and feeding the birds. I work (thankful for my job!) as an Administrative Assistant and want to be thin like my co-workers; they are a really great bunch of people. I want to be a credit to my group and company; not a fat person. One bright spot - I am able to use a treadmill again so I hope to utilize my company's gym a couple of times a week and build up to 4-5 fimes a week.

Replies

• TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    I wish you the very best of luck in your journey. While I definitely understand that there is nothing inherently wrong with cookies and cakes, it's all about portion control. In your case it may be prudent to be a bit more conservative than most when it comes to this, especially if you live by yourself and don't have anyone to share those goodies with! Personally, I think it would be foolish for me to think that NOTHING was wrong with them as it related to smarter choices that could be made with my diet. MFP is a great place for that as well. Just please remember that you will only get out of your journey what you put into it. I would also encourage you to eschew the Americanized concepts of being "thin." Focus on your fitness and health; The rest will work itself out. Good luck on your journey and I wish you all of the successes in the world!