Hysterectomy/Menopause?

Options
I am only 37 and have had a hysterectomy over a year ago and am going through menopause. I am just looking for support from anyone else who is going through this and having a hard time losing weight. I am not on HRT as I still have 1 (but crappy) ovary. As it is starting to not work very well, my menopause symptoms are stronger and I seem to be having more trouble losing weight. I am also hungry ALL THE TIME!!
I don't have anything in common with my friends because none of them have experienced what I have. As matter of fact, I am the only "big" one out of the group. How discouraging is that :grumble:

If anyone has any advice or tips on how to lose weight while going through menopause..I would love to hear it!

Replies

• skittlesoup
    skittlesoup Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am only 37 and have had a hysterectomy over a year ago and am going through menopause. I am just looking for support from anyone else who is going through this and having a hard time losing weight. I am not on HRT as I still have 1 (but crappy) ovary. As it is starting to not work very well, my menopause symptoms are stronger and I seem to be having more trouble losing weight. I am also hungry ALL THE TIME!!
    I don't have anything in common with my friends because none of them have experienced what I have. As matter of fact, I am the only "big" one out of the group. How discouraging is that :grumble:

If anyone has any advice or tips on how to lose weight while going through menopause..I would love to hear it!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy a year and a half ago and also had both ovaries out. I cannot take HRT because of the risk of cancer ( very high in my family). I was overweight before I had the surgery and laying around for 6 weeks recovery didn't help matters.

I have the hot flashes and all that fun stuff. I work through them when I am exercising. If they really bother you, try swimming. It cools your body but is a great workout.

I have found that as I have started eating more healthily, I do not have the same large appetite and I only want to heath food that is good for me. This is a mindset that I have found about 2 months ago and I am thrilled to have it. Try eating several smaller meals during the day so you don't allow yourself to get hungry.

Good luck with this.... you can be successful.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy 6 years ago when I was 29. Having both ovaries removed so I went through menopause right away. It was very hard on me and ended up gaining 35 pounds the year after I had it done. Now I'm one my journey to get it off. I've gotten all but 5 of that weight off. It can be so hard. If you have any questions let me know.