Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead

Options
Has anyone seen this documentary? It is very interesting and in some ways, inspiring. It is about a man who goes on an all juice diet while he travels the United States talking to people about the benefits of this all juice diet. It is an excellent documentary. I would love to give this diet a try and I am going to buy a juicer at the end of this week but I will not be drinking only juice for 90 days lol. That is a bit extreme I think. So, has anyone tried this? Seen the documentary? Any thoughts on a 'juice diet'??

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    Fad. If you can't live the actually lifestyle without eating what you actually enjoy in moderation, then it's temporary.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Saw it, thought it was cool. Didn't really think about doing it though. I think if I had the disease he had, I'd try anything. I'm a much bigger fan of whole foods. Juicing is an okay snack option, but you need to eat that fruit's fiber too!
  • ljb82
    ljb82 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Kudos to him! However I don't think this a diet I could follow or even believe it is healthy for that matter!
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Fad. If you can't live the actually lifestyle without eating what you actually enjoy in moderation, then it's temporary.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Agree. Any changes you make to your diet should be things you can do for the rest of your life.
  • KC5ZRQ
    KC5ZRQ Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I watched it and I enjoyed it.

I would not endorse a juice diet like the one portrayed in the film. However, getting lots of weight off of someone that is morbidly obese is very important and if a juice diet does that, then go for it.

The important thing is to reduce the calories that you put into your body. This website, or any calorie tracking application, really helps with that because it makes you better aware of the amount of food that you are consuming. The key is to record your intake everyday.
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen it, but I like documentaries so hopefully I can find this OnDemand. As fas an an all juice diet? Yikes! I wouldn't recommend an all anything diet because we need nutrients from many types of food for our health and wellness, and it is too limiting. I feel confident in saying that having food variety/options/choices has helped my weight loss.
  • vitahill
    vitahill Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I also thought it was a little bit of an advertisement for that very expensive juicer he carted around. If you look those guys up you will find a link to their store. Definitely not an unbiased take on juice diets.
  • MattGetsMad
    Options
    I also thought it was a little bit of an advertisement for that very expensive juicer he carted around. If you look those guys up you will find a link to their store. Definitely not an unbiased take on juice diets.

Yeah, that was the one part of the documentary that I found a little odd. Seemed a bit like an infomercial from time to time.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    What an idiotic 'documentary'. Critical thouht is a rarity anymore.
  • boredboy40
    Options
    I agree, this website has shown me exactly how much food I eat. I created an account on this website last year and now I am doing it again because I tend to get bored with things quickly. My point here is, yes.. I was amazed at how much I was eating before. It would be nothing for me to eat at McDonalds before I go into work.. Taco Bell on lunch and then a whole pizza when I got home..and I wondered why I was gaining weight LOL.. add to that NO water intake (only soda) and little exercise (only what I got at work). Yes. this website is great for showing you what you are eating and what that means..

As for the juicer I am going to buy, it isn't the same one used on the documentary and I do NOT plan to drink juice all the time. My plan is to replace one meal with a juice and maybe a small salad. That is only a plan, I'm not sure if it will work or not.
  • boredboy40
    Options
    I haven't seen it, but I like documentaries so hopefully I can find this OnDemand. As fas an an all juice diet? Yikes! I wouldn't recommend an all anything diet because we need nutrients from many types of food for our health and wellness, and it is too limiting. I feel confident in saying that having food variety/options/choices has helped my weight loss.

I saw it on Netflix.
  • MattGetsMad
    Options
    What an idiotic 'documentary'. Critical thouht is a rarity anymore.

Couldn't reach the "g" key from your soapbox?
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    The issue with these sorts of diets is that you don't learn to EAT. You do something for a short period of time that is really, really strict. Then, when you try to go back to your real life, it fails. Why? Because you don't know how to deal with real food, with preparing healthy meals, or with knowing what to put in your body. Drinking juice every meal for 90 days doesn't help with the long haul.
  • therealjanelle
    Options
    I thought it was a good documentary and it inspired me to buy a juicer - although a less expensive one. I enjoy juicing and really love having a green juice with breakfast after I jog.

I'm not sure whether it is related but I noticed a drastic improvement in my skin clarity shortly after incorporating green juice to my diet on a nearly daily basis.
  • lexik09
    lexik09 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have seen that documentary and that's what actually inspired me to lose weight! In fact I do drink a cup of raw fruit and veg juice everyday! it has actually helped my digestion and helped boost my metabolism!
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I saw it and was more inspired by the trucker. I actually got teary-eyed with joy for him. What a change! That said...

I think for some people who are morbidly obese, doing something like a juice fast for a short period of time to get them started can be a great moral booster. I do think 90 days of it is too long though. I don't think most of us need something this extreme but I can see where it can a small few of us.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

All documentaries are essentially advertisements for whoever is funding it. That's why I don't put a lot of stock in them. It's way too easy to edit film footage to portray any point of view you want, regardless of what it originally may have showed.
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I LOVED THIS DOCUMENTARY!!!! It was a totally extreme diet...but the guy had extreme health needs. I was just telling someone about this last week. I found this guy to be amazingly inspiring!!!! because he took control of a really bad lifestyle, turned his bad eating habits right on its *kitten*. Why this looks so extreme to us has a lot to do what how society uses food for entertainment. We need to learn to EAT to LIVE and not live to eat.... I am still a far cry from having overcome my food addictions or afliction to good marketing... AND the documentary was totally entertaining. I wasn't focussed on the juicer so much as his observations about society and then he totally paid it forward AND followed through with his promise to be supportive.

I saw it on Netflix. BTW...I own a Jack Lelane juicer... I wouln't buy it twice...I'd go for something with "pulp regulator" (probably won't find that in the $100 or less juicer categories unless you get lucky buying on eBay... AnyHOOOOOO

I absolutely recommend people watch this....you'll take from it what you need...and disguard the rest like everything esle
  • gailashton
    Options
    Seen it. The word DIET should say it all, that's exactly what it is. Why do you think so many people fail or gain their weight back and then some. It doesn't change your lifestyle. You can only stick with a DIET for so long. If you need it for a jump start, more power to you, but you still have to make a lifestyle change, bottom line! My opinion, but whatever works for you!
  • oharabears
    Options
    My experience with juicing is that within 5 minutes of drinking it, I'm so hungry I could eat my own arm--even if I wasn't hungry before. Just goes to show ya' how the fiber in actual fruits and vegetables can slow down that blood sugar spike that juice alone gives! Other than that, I loved the documentary--in the same way I love all "transform your life for the better" stories. But a juice fast isn't really a practical, lifestyle way to go.