Biaxin and Birth Control

Options
I'm currently taking Tricyclen Lo birth control pills and have been for probably a year now. The issue is that I was put on Biaxin a few days ago for Pneumonia. I cannot use condoms due to an unfortunate and painful allergy, and I'm worried that I may be in a bad situation now.

We were intimate yesterday, but I've also just begun my sugar pills. I'm thinking that we may be alright, because of where I am in my cycle, but I really need another opinion.

Just basically to either ease my nerves or suggest where to go from here. My wedding is 15 weeks away, so a pregnancy wouldn't be the end of the world, but it's not preferable right now.

((I apologize if this is in the wrong category. I couldn't figure out where else to put it.)

Replies

• stephc71885
    stephc71885 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i'd imagine you'd probably be fine, but you could always do a plan B one step if you're very concerned. it has to be taken within 72 hours of unprotected sex. most women don't ovulate immediately after stopping the pill altogether so even if the biaxin decreased the effectiveness of the pill it's unlikely that you would ovulate that quickly (i.e. within just a couple of days). i'm a pharmacist so if you have any other questions, feel free to ask :)
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    i'd imagine you'd probably be fine, but you could always do a plan B one step if you're very concerned. it has to be taken within 72 hours of unprotected sex. most women don't ovulate immediately after stopping the pill altogether so even if the biaxin decreased the effectiveness of the pill it's unlikely that you would ovulate that quickly (i.e. within just a couple of days). i'm a pharmacist so if you have any other questions, feel free to ask :)

You've made me feel a lot better and I'm glad that a Pharmacist responded! XD I was going to go to the Pharmacy before getting groceries, but that conversation would have just been awkward.
    Do you know if Plan B is expensive and how does it work?
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    You are *probably* okay. There are never any guarantees, but if you are generally pretty regular, you should be okay. Pregnancy is most likely to occur around day 14 of your cycle, and if you are coming up on your period you probably aren't going to conceive and implant, as that takes a couple of days. But if you are worried, I'd do the Plan B, too. I'm not sure on cost, though!
  • stephc71885
    Options
    Plan B is usually around $50 at most pharmacies. It is basically like taking a mega dose of birth control. If you did ovulate and the egg were fertilized, Plan B would prevent it from implanting in the uterus. It's not recommended as a regular method of birth control, but is intended for specific events just like this. It's just as safe as taking regular birth control but you might have some side effects- headache, nausea, change in flow.
  • paigeifyouplease
    Options
    Plan B is more affordable at planned parenthood if you don't have insurance. What about 'lambskin' brand condoms? Tricky situation!
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Plan B is usually around $50 at most pharmacies. It is basically like taking a mega dose of birth control. If you did ovulate and the egg were fertilized, Plan B would prevent it from implanting in the uterus. It's not recommended as a regular method of birth control, but is intended for specific events just like this. It's just as safe as taking regular birth control but you might have some side effects- headache, nausea, change in flow.

I think it might be worth it, then. It's still only been 24 hours so I'll discuss it with him and maybe pick one up today. Thank you so much for the advice! I appreciate it!
  • stephc71885
    Options
    No problem!