Treadmill - To Buy or Not to Buy?

Options
I have been toying with the idea of purchasing a treadmill for about 7 years! I never know if it is a good option or not.

Everytime you're on eBay you see people flogging them cheap just to get the space back that there very pricey piece of sports equipment is 'wasting'.

I've tried drawing up a list of pros and cons but for every con, I think of a pro that neutralises it and visa versa.

What do you guys think? What are your experiences?

My major concern is that I am going to waste money buying one and then not use it.

Replies

• deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I had one years ago...used it on and off. Then sold it on a garage sale.

A few years ago I had a gym membership. I found I was spending $40/mo to use a treadmill at a place I had to "pack" to go to. It seemed silly.

Last January I got a NordicTrack treadmill. It is what jump started me here and I have used it more than the gym. I like it because I can jump on it for 30 mins while supper is cooking in the oven. And I don't have to match or look half way alive. (the gym I went to was a snobbish place where everyone matched etc...annoying lol). My HRM works with it which is great.
    Plus, now my daughter can use it without having to pay for a family membership.

If you are someone who enjoys treadmills and use them at the gym then it may be a good option. If you just think you might like it...then maybe get a 3 mo membership or something and see if you really like them. Some people can't handle them. I love them. I love being able to run and not have to think about traffic or terrain. I just jump on, crank the ipod and get lost in my thoughts.
  • Sambo004
    Sambo004 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Well, if you really think you would use it, and have the space, I think it would be awesome! The calorie burn on the treadmill is right up there with the other cardio exercise I do (which includes step & spinning). I checked it with my new HRM this week and it confirmed that this was the case. 40 Mins and I burned 453 cals. So it's a really good workout - and I don't run, I walk (fast and uphill, but still walking). If I didn't have such a tiny house, I would want one :happy:
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I have one that my sister gave me, it's older but it does the job! It's a space saver one so it will fold up and not take up much space. I also just bought a Nordictrack elliptical last Monday that is also a space saver type and I love the elliptical more! :) If you have used one before and enjoy them I'd say go ahead and get one............try Craigslist maybe......
  • deathb4disco
    deathb4disco Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Definitely worth the money if you're going to use it. I went a few months using mine like crazy, then I got bored with it, and now I use it sometimes 5 times a day. Put some headphones on and just rock out.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,707 Member
    Options
    I have been toying with the idea of purchasing a treadmill for about 7 years! I never know if it is a good option or not.

Everytime you're on eBay you see people flogging them cheap just to get the space back that there very pricey piece of sports equipment is 'wasting'.

I've tried drawing up a list of pros and cons but for every con, I think of a pro that neutralises it and visa versa.

My major concern is that I am going to waste money buying one and then not use it.
    Walking and running are FREE. If you won't do it for free, then buying a treadmill will be your next expensive clothes rack.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options

Walking and running are FREE. If you won't do it for free, then buying a treadmill will be your next expensive clothes rack.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

^^So true! ^^ If you love to walk and to run and do it already then it could be a great way to exercise when the weather isn't ideal and if you don't have a gym membership. Otherwise no point in purchasing really.
  • BrenB150
    BrenB150 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think it depends on the person.. You can't go off of someone telling you not to buy it because they never used theirs.. But I love mine.. Yes, i use it as a clothing rack to dry my sweaters, but then I take them off and run on it... It takes up space, but it's in the corner of the basement and out of the way, when we build our new house, i am having a dedicated exersice room.. Its up to you.. I have a Sole F63, bought from ****'s Sporting Goods.. I lost 30 pounds last year, i didnt just run, but it did play a big part in my weight loss... Plus i dont have to pack up and go to the gym.. A day like we are having here in Ohio.. I would not be going to the gym, but i did go downstairs to work out.. Point for me! Good luck on your decision!
  • minoux333
    Options
    I had a treadmill for 7 years and never used it. It made a good cloths hanger. I loaned it out to two friends who were thinking of buying one. One used it for three weeks before giving it back. The other person used it for only a week. people I know who use theirs regularly have it sitting in the living room. I spent 1,500 on it. See if you can borrow or rent one first.
  • achief192
    achief192 Posts: 192
    Options
    I live in the midwest and lost 25 pounds this summer running outside. When cold weather came I considered buying a treadmill, but decided that for the price of a good treadmill I can get 3 year membership at the local gym.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i have a treadmill that i use ALL of the time! I make myself use it and have it placed right in view of the tv..if i am not watching a show while i workout on it, i put on the tunes. there are no more excuses not to exercise once you get one though!!! can't say you dont have time to get to the gym any more..