Uk man needs support

Options
I am a 52 year old British man needing support. I need to lose 40lb and I am only a few pounds away from being obese. I am fed up with doctors excuses ... First I wasn't old enough to get help then I was old enough but not heavy enough and the last time I spoke to doctor about putting on weight the reply was 'ain't we all!'

I am only 5' 8" and approaching 14 stone. I have tried every diet I can think of but I only maintain weight or increase. 13st 10lb might not be an issue to some people but I have had enough now ... I need to lose it!

My life style: I am a full time house hubby looking after three boys and house. I am asthmatic which makes exercise difficult so walking is about the limit ... No way could I jog. I get breathless climbing the stairs and putting my shoes on.

Any thoughts or advice would be very much appreciated.

Replies

• smiverz
    smiverz Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    hello mate im in the uk too. I am trying to put on weight not lose it but im sure we could help each other out. add me if u like, good luck as well
  • michellenlee
    Options
    Hi Mr. Ferris,

This a great site to use for motivating yourself to lose weight. I think once you get past the initial fear of being honest with yourself about how much you really weigh and how much you really eat, the site (and losing weight) becomes addictive. Its hard, but you can do it!

With that said and of course, with all due respect, what you wrote sounds a bit like you're not accepting the responsibility of having gained and about losing the weight. You say you're fed up with your doctor, but really, while he SHOULD be monitoring you and encouraging you to lose weight, doing this is ultimately a gift to yourself - not to your doctor. Also, you sound like you're already making excuses about exercising - being asthmatic, running out of breath, yaddah yaddah yaddah... to me, it just sounds like you're out of shape - most of us who start off being overweight and out of shape get breathless too. No one's asking you to start running a marathon the first day you become physically active; you're going to have to take small steps regardless - so don't already set yourself up for failure by saying you can't do something. Take things slowly and who knows, you may end up surprising yourself!

I don't mean to sound like Negative Nancy - but you joined this site looking for help and we're all hear to cheer you on, but remember, we've all been there so if you whine about how hard this is, no one here is going to to feel too sorry for you because trust me, we all know the pain of blisters on our feet and having to say no to that extra scoop of ice cream.

Good luck!
  • mrFerris
    mrFerris Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hi ... Thanks for the encouraging post. I accept that there is some degree of 'making excuses' here and I am certainly not expecting anyone to wave a magic wand and get me back to the 11st I was five years ago but our doctors are not helping at all. I have been to them three times now asking for for guidance on how to exercise taking my asthma into consideration. The last time was when I tried to join our local gym who had an advisor to help but he wanted me to see my doctor before I could sign up ... My doctor just told me to accept it with the ain't we all comment in my original post. I know I need to sort it myself but over the past five years I have put on three stone and nothing has changed other that giving up my sedentary sat down all day job so my wife can return to Uni. The only thing that the doctor has done over this period is to increase my asthma medication four times.

All I have asked my doctor for is some guidance on a safe route.

I did not intend for this post to sound like whining ... After all, being here is evidence that I have accepted that something is wrong. What I need is some guidance on how to get it resolved. And to give 'with respect' back to you ... Telling someone to stop whining is not going to help me get the advice I need. That is pretty much what the doctor does! I appreciate that the work is mine but I still need to know how to do it or else why would there be a need for these sites? If you have already achieve it then fantastic ... So please, point me in the direction I need. I am not whining or blaming anyone else else ... I am asking for some guidance. Thank you.
  • kk1964
    kk1964 Posts: 46
    Options
    Hi

Not sure if this will help at all but i recently bought myself a treadmill so that i can be with my family and exercise, it can be done at your own pace and for as much or little time each day , i started last Thursday and do 30 mins a day, I am not fit and have about 3 stone to lose. I am a working mum and found this works for me... It may help you with your asthma. Good luck anyway I am sure you will do it i find this site and logging my day very motivating.

Best Wishes

Karen
  • mrFerris
    Options
    Thanks Karen. Can't afford a treadmill but I started out today on a walk! Did 20 mins at a pace that got me coughing. Don't know how far I went but I am going to repeat this walk daily and try to get around the same route in less time and without needing my inhalers then increase the distance and time till I can do 30 mins and cover a mile without the inhalers.
  • AlliGM
    AlliGM Posts: 86
    Options
    Mr. Ferris,

I am asthmatic also so completely know where you are coming from. I have quite a bit more to lose than you but can tell you that the last time I lost weight (after my second child) that I took up running and it reduced my asthma dramatically. I had to start really slow and it took a long time to build up to running the entire distance, but I found it made a huge difference in the amount of meds I was taking. That's my goal this year-- to start running again.

Add me as a friend if you would like. There are so many different approaches to reducing but I would be glad to share with you what I am doing. My husband lost over 50 pounds last year so I am trying to follow suit using the same approach. Good luck!

Cheers, Alli
  • mrFerris
    Options
    Hi Ali thanks.

I am determined to get the fitness back and will definitely keep the walks going. I am looking forward to the day that I can run even 100 yards without needing the meds. My local shop is about 300 yards away and I need to take the inhalers when I walk there ... And often use them.

Sent invite.

Paul.