What about the Paleo/Caveman Diet?

Options
Hi! I am on a new health kick with my husband! I got the idea to do the Paleo/Caveman Diet from a co-worker who is a personal trainer. Its pretty much all natural...if it doesn't grow in a field or can't be breed on a farm...you can't have it, with some exceptions of course. No potatoes of any kind, no beans, legunes, sweets, soft drinks,bread, pasta, SALT, etc. I do take in some sodium when I purchase my bacon, etc. because unless you get it from the farm yourself preservation requires salt! But I think we are off to a good start, however I did have a HORRIBLE headache last night from the small amount of crabs I took in (being that my main source is fruit. I must admit that without salt the food is kind of bland but I think I will eventually get used to the herbs and spices. with all this said I guess I would like to know if there is anyone who had undergone this endever (with or without sucess) and what was your take on it. we plan to do about 8 weeks at this restriction and then continue to eat healthy but add back in small amounts of things we feel necessary to make this a realistic, life long committment!

Any thoughts???? Any advice?????

Replies

• warriorqueenNB
    Options
    I just started Sunday and already I have more energy, i'm not as hungry, and my caloric intake has dropped signficiantly. I think it really works because your sugar levels will go down and for me sugar (from bread/pasta/etc) makes me hungry! You will still consume sugar through fruits but it's all natural and your body will process it better. I think you should stick with it. I do still drink milk and eat yogurt, but other than that it's meat, nuts, fruits & veggies. If you're having headaches, maybe you ought to allow yourself one "noncaveman" food a day until the headaches go away.
  • JujiBean
    JujiBean Posts: 187
    Options
    Been on it for the most part of 25 years (before it received the catchy marketable name.)

Love it and wouldn't eat any other way.

One caveat....you mentioned that you are not adding salt to your foods. Over time you might want to reconsider this. The Paleo /Caveman diet tends to result in a low carb lifestyle. The low carb lifestyle drops your blood pressure like a rock and adding salt to food is the easiest way (according to my doctor) to keep your blood pressure from dropping too low. (Low blood pressure can result in fainting, dizziness, etc.)
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Been on it for the most part of 25 years (before it received the catchy marketable name.)

Love it and wouldn't eat any other way.

One caveat....you mentioned that you are not adding salt to your foods. Over time you might want to reconsider this. The Paleo /Caveman diet tends to result in a low carb lifestyle. The low carb lifestyle drops your blood pressure like a rock and adding salt to food is the easiest way (according to my doctor) to keep your blood pressure from dropping too low. (Low blood pressure can result in fainting, dizziness, etc.)

That sounds like fun!