Running With Weights???

Options
If I run with weights, am I burning more calories, or do I still simply go by my HR? Does it just peak my HR quicker so I can run slower and burn the same, or am I actually burning more calories? Or simply does it give me more of an upper body workout while I run ...

My wife got a pair of 5lb weights and I thought, what the heck, why not run with those! :) ... Just curious if it's worth it ...

Replies

• HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    *bump* :)
  • stu_j_lfc
    stu_j_lfc Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Running with weight will result in you burning a few more calories, but only if it doesn't cause you to slow down. If you slow down, the reduced pace will basically cancel out any extra energy expenditure that you would of gained from the additional weight being carried. Quite self explanatory really.... Thats unless you're running with heavy weight.

Normally when I run with weight I use 16-20kg (35-44lb) at a light/steady jogging pace, including lots of hill reps and do anywhere between 3-6 miles. This works your quads immensely - though I wouldn't look at doing that sort of weight unless you was really confident in your own fitness and generally well being, as it can cause all sorts of imbalances which can lead to problems in the long term, specifically in your lower back.

Make sure the weight is centred correctly also, and try to keep your ruck sack top heavy (if you run with a ruck sack).