Is it OK to treat ourselves at xmas time - what do you think

Options
I was responding to someone's comment about xmas weight gain earlier and it made me think. I think lots of us put on a few lbs at Xmas. I put on 3lbs and that was after eating hardly anything yesterday as I was ill!

I think it's fine to put some weight on at this time of year. I really enjoyed my xmas food, to me, all those treats are part of Christmas. I think we deserve all those treats once a year at least! I know I'll loose it again because I'm so much more in control now.

What do you all think?

Replies

• maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i packed on 20 lbs since october after losing 80lbs.. most of it was during the month of december. i goofed up big time and threw myself back because of it. but on the good side of all this, i used to beat myself up over and over doing something like this back in the old days. i didnt do that this time. ive realized and admitted the errors of my ways and am back on track. if i had it to do all over again i would say no to the crap. it's too addicting for me and i cant control myself over all them cookies, chocolates, and heavily fat absorbed food. my blood pressure went upwards with each week i ate all that holiday food and so did the numbers on the scale. uggghh oh well a lessoned learned!!!
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I agree...I put on 2kg which is about 4lbs...but they are coming off already which is great!

However...I think this year I will try to keep Christmas more to Christmas Day and not 2 weeks...I didn't really enjoy it after awhile...thinking about having to get it all off again and feeling too full!!

As I love to cook I've made chocolates and caramels and fudge and Christmas Cake and Shortbread....(ok..I'll go on but you get the picture...)...THIS year I intend to cook but package up at least half of all I make and give it as gifts....

Christmas is a time of rememberance of our Lord's incarnation...not a time for pigging out!

Happy 2012!!
  • ymhand
    ymhand Posts: 188
    Options
    Christmas is over, Welcome to the New Year.
  • cbbarge
    cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I saw a great quote somewhere else on this site. "It's not what we do between Christmas and New Year's so much as what we do between New Year's and Christmas. " I think this makes good sense!
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I saw a great quote somewhere else on this site. "It's not what we do between Christmas and New Year's so much as what we do between New Year's and Christmas. " I think this makes good sense!

love it!
  • Gratzi
    Gratzi Posts: 21 Member
    Options

Great quote! I'm gonna remember that one!
  • Mama_CAEI
    Mama_CAEI Posts: 235
    Options
    Yup, I ate lots of treats in December, put on about 2 lbs, but I'm not upset about it. Looking at the positive: I was physically unable to eat as much junk food as I would have in the past. Even Christmas dinner and New Year's Day, I didn't fill my plate nearly as full as I used to. And I stopped eating when I felt full. So that is an accomplishment in and of itself.
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options

I took great liberties with this quote in mind!

Honestly - I treated myself during Xmas break - didn't go insane, but allowed myself things I would normally stay away from other times of year.

I don't weigh myself. I may have gained a pound or two, but it won't stay on!
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I think christmas is at time I expected to gain weight I think I put on a few pounds and enjoyed every mouthful off naughtyness I had been so good on the run up I felt like I deserved a little break from it. I still have another 30lbs to go so it was a half way point holiday. I know I will get them off in the next couple of weeks x
  • crb1988
    crb1988 Posts: 134 Member
    Options

This definitely puts things into perspective.
  • believe22
    believe22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I didn't restrict myself from anything during the holidays, and I still lost weight. I just never went overboard
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I did the same and I see no problem with it, its part of life its OK to indulge a little, we are all still here and back at it so be proud of that!
  • ninamccalla
    ninamccalla Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I allow myself to eat the Thanksgiving and Christmas goodies because it is such a special time of year. I work out and then after January 1 I go back to writing down what I eat. I know I have to workout and watch what I eat to get those extra pounds back off.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Is it OK to enjoy life?
    Hec yeah, I stop feeling guilty going to the parties, eat goodies during the holidays. It actually helps me not to binge. I used to skip social events. It just makes me feel miserable and did not improve my diet at all.
    In fact, since I give myself 2 free meals a week. I lose more weight.
  • MommaNa
    MommaNa Posts: 15
    Options
    I think it great to enjoy yourself...but I have to admit as much as I loved eating the cookies, and all the other great food over the holidays...it wasn't worth the 15 pounds I gained...I worked to damn hard to take it off and now that I think about it - it makes me mad because the good food wasn't worth the 2-3 mos it's gonna take me to get that weight back off. So yes, I enjoyed Thanksgiving and Christmas and my vacation a lot...but it wasn't worth it.
  • michelefloyd
    Options
    I agree with Momma (who doesn't with a name like that!)

We all know weight can be so freaking hard to lose. Why mess that up just because it's Christmas? I had my traditional dinner but skipped dessert.
  • tassiegal
    tassiegal Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I deliberately didnt record any calories in the week between Christmas and New Year. I watched what I ate but did not stress about anything. I know I have worked hard to tone up and look better and the proof of the pudding was when I tried on some clothing I havent felt comfortable wearing in nearly 2 years and felt amazing. Put them on again when I got home and still felt GOOD. However I am now back to being very concious about what I put in my mouth.