Medifast

Options
What are everyone's thoughts on this program?

Replies

• LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I'd never recommend it unless you are morbidly obese. I do not like very low calorie diets. Most of the time, they're unnecessary and in some cases they're dangerous. If you are going to try it, do so with doctor supervision.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I'd never recommend it unless you are morbidly obese. I do not like very low calorie diets. Most of the time, they're unnecessary and in some cases they're dangerous. If you are going to try it, do so with doctor supervision.

Add to that the fact that once you get off of a low cal diet your body rebounds and tends to gain most, all, or even more weight back.
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options

Add to that the fact that once you get off of a low cal diet your body rebounds and tends to gain most, all, or even more weight back.

Actually, the research shows that those who did a very low calorie diet (VLCD) vs those who did a reduced calorie diet both gained weight back and technically, the people who did a VLCD lost more weight speaking in net terms. By this I mean - for VLCD people lost say 20kg and regained 15 - net loss 5kg, for reduced calorie people lost 10kg, regained 7 - net loss 3kg. (I wrote a systematic review about it :tongue: so I've looked quite thoroughly at the research)

I'm neither pro nor against VLCD diets (I do think they have a role) but if you are going to do one it should definitely be a micronutrient complete shake program rather than one based on food and should always, always, always be done under the supervision of a professional and definitely not started before seeking advice of a professional.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Actually, the research shows that those who did a very low calorie diet (VLCD) vs those who did a reduced calorie diet both gained weight back and technically, the people who did a VLCD lost more weight speaking in net terms. By this I mean - for VLCD people lost say 20kg and regained 15 - net loss 5kg, for reduced calorie people lost 10kg, regained 7 - net loss 3kg. (I wrote a systematic review about it :tongue: so I've looked quite thoroughly at the research)

Interesting. I did not know that. In your review, did you consider studies with morbidly obese individuals only? or did you also include studies with individuals who were in obese and/or over-weight categories? (based on BMIs)

My understanding is that VLCD are never advised for someone in the over-weight category, but in the obese category, I'd wager it's at the discretion of the doctor and may depend on how safely the individual can exercise.
    I'm neither pro nor against VLCD diets (I do think they have a role) but if you are going to do one it should definitely be a micronutrient complete shake program rather than one based on food and should always, always, always be done under the supervision of a professional and definitely not started before seeking advice of a professional.

I agree completely. If you're going to do a VLCD, then you should use supplements and/or carefully formulated nutritional shakes. It's way too hard to get the nutrients you need otherwise.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options

I have only my own experience with it, and boy I gained weight back so fast it made my head spin! lol I still did end up staying under my initial weight for quite a bit afterwards though. Mine wasn't medically supervised either though it was just an extremely low cal diet that I went on due to stress and other things. 2 4 6 8 diet, I think it was called.

Why should it be a shake program and not food? Not enough nutrients are able to be taken in within the allotted calorie amount?
  • LilMissFoodie
    Options

Interesting. I did not know that. In your review, did you consider studies with morbidly obese individuals only? or did you also include studies with individuals who were in obese and/or over-weight categories? (based on BMIs)

My understanding is that VLCD are never advised for someone in the over-weight category, but in the obese category, I'd wager it's at the discretion of the doctor and may depend on how safely the individual can exercise.

Yes, all obese. The general recommendations are that the person should have a BMI of >35 or BMI >28 + significant comorbidities. It should also be kind of a last resort - ie after cognitive behavioural therapy (coaching on lifestyle change for those not with a healthcare background) has failed.
  • LilMissFoodie
    Options

Why should it be a shake program and not food? Not enough nutrients are able to be taken in within the allotted calorie amount?

Definitely not enough nutrients. It is absolutely impossible to meet basic requirements in 500 calories (ish) per day of food.