Advice Please!! Am I doing enough???

Options
I just had a baby on December 13, 2008. I (sadly) didn't exercise before I got pregnant (not in the past 2 years even), and didn't do a thing while pregnant. I gained 75 lbs. Ok, here's where I'm at: I came back to work from leave on Jan 26th and have been going to our fitness center M-F. I've proved myself dedicated and have not missed one day. I started barely being able to go for 15 minutes at a pace of 2.5 on the treadmill. Now here is what I am doing: 20 min on treadmill at 3.5 pace and on incline of 9 for 5 min, no incline for 5 min, incline of 9 for 5 min and no incline last 5 minutes (in this 20 min I go more than a mile), then I go to the elliptical and do that for 10 minutes. I'm beat after those two things and do some random weights (abs, legs, etc.) So, my question is: is 30 minutes of cardio 5 times a week enough???? I lost a lot of weight initially and fast, but it seems to be slowing down. I'd think 5 times a week is great! But, am I doing enough on each of those days?

Replies

• ashley727
    Options
    I just had a baby on December 13, 2008. I (sadly) didn't exercise before I got pregnant (not in the past 2 years even), and didn't do a thing while pregnant. I gained 75 lbs. Ok, here's where I'm at: I came back to work from leave on Jan 26th and have been going to our fitness center M-F. I've proved myself dedicated and have not missed one day. I started barely being able to go for 15 minutes at a pace of 2.5 on the treadmill. Now here is what I am doing: 20 min on treadmill at 3.5 pace and on incline of 9 for 5 min, no incline for 5 min, incline of 9 for 5 min and no incline last 5 minutes (in this 20 min I go more than a mile), then I go to the elliptical and do that for 10 minutes. I'm beat after those two things and do some random weights (abs, legs, etc.) So, my question is: is 30 minutes of cardio 5 times a week enough???? I lost a lot of weight initially and fast, but it seems to be slowing down. I'd think 5 times a week is great! But, am I doing enough on each of those days?
  • sweetapplepi
    Options

Maybe up the weight training? I've had to up my workouts since I'm getting closer to my goal weight. My body would just "cheat" at the usual workouts and my weight stayed the same. :grumble: Also, make sure you're eating enough during your meals.
    Hope that helps :flowerforyou:
  • jelee18
    jelee18 Posts: 46
    Options
    I focus on at least 30 mins of cardio 3 times a week. Instead of doing random weight excercies, try to come up with a routine that targets key muscles. After weight training, I like to end with 15 mins of cardio on the eliptical usually. I also enjoy doing yoga on my more "quiet" days. Once you've built up some stamina, try circuit training (incorporating/alternating weight lifting and cardio). I've found that to be the best workout for me.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    So am I understanding it right that you have lost 36 pounds in 5 weeks? Considering that the reccomended weightloss is 1 pound a week, I'd say you're doing plenty.

My work outs are only either walking at a 3 MPH pace for 30-60 minutes, or I ride by indoor bike for 20 minutes at a 12-14mph pace. It's really not that much, but I hate for my exercise to take too long. I feel healtheir, I am losing at a good pace and I think I look great, so my workout is enough for ME. Everyone is different, your workout should work for you, not what 100 people would consider to be a good work out.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    IMHO....

"Enough" is what your body tolerates - if you can make it to the gym 5 times a week for 30 minutes, that's great. Some people work out for 2 hours daily, and they may lose faster. Some people can only workout 3 times a week, and it works for them.

Weight training with cardio will reap quicker, and some would argue, better results. You might also like Jillian Michael's "The Shred" for evenings and weekends - it's only 20 minutes, so it can be done right after you put the little ones to bed, without taking up your whole evening (or I even do it while the kids play in the same room as me).

You're doing GREAT to be doing all this, AND caring for a newborn at home. I had two babies in less than two years, gained over 60lbs each time, so I can relate to you! Keep at it, and you will be at your goal weight in no time!
    :flowerforyou:
  • scrappy11
    scrappy11 Posts: 163
    Options
    I would look at what you are eating and how many calories you are eating in one day! I have noticed a huge drop in my weight since I started eating more calories. You need to feed your body in order for it to work the way you want it to. It is hard to find that place where you feel comfortable and you don't feel like you are eating enough or you are eating to much. How many calories do you eat in a day right now? I think that will help you in determining if you are doing enough or if you are doing to little. 36lbs lost is pretty good though! Way to go!!! keep up the good work! :tongue:
  • hartkid13
    hartkid13 Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    Once you work out for a while your body compensates and increases your metabolism.

Recent studies have suggested that some weight training is just as important as cardio. I would suggest finding a weight training plan that makes sense for you.

36 pounds since December is great! Keep up the good work. 1 or 2 pounds a week is a good goal to have.
  • justdoingit
    justdoingit Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    36lb since December is fantastic!:drinker:

Every few weeks you should switch up your routine though. I hit a platau for three weeks and increased my calories but also increased my workouts from 40 minutes to one hour. I also increased the intensity and I dropped 2lb in one week. I was extatic! In three weeks, I will be decreasing my calories and will give my body a rest for one week before I return to a work out routine. Hopefully that will help!
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    As you lose weight and become more fit, you will need to make your workouts more intense. Keep the same incline as before, but increase the speed a bit so that you are working harder. As your body adapts, you must constantly challenge it so you continue to see progress on the scale. Include some weight training to your workouts.