braces and weight loss

Options

Replies

• jennabellaxoxo
    jennabellaxoxo Posts: 232 Member
    Options

ok noted. i will definitely get them. just undecided if i should stick to my installation appointment this weekend of defer it to a month's time. due to my work schedule i can only see the ortho on a saturday and their office is only opened one saturday each month.

do you find your ceramic braces very obvious? this is one of my major concerns that they will look hideous lol. i need them for 18 months however as advised before, i will be getting the lower arch first and the upper arch 2 months later. i am looking forward to it on one hand and on the other i am abit scared lol

Just do it and dont put it off..isnt that why we are in out thirties getting braces...becasue we put it off too long!!! lol!

no they are not really obvious..I think they are kind of cute!!! If I knew how to post a pic to the thread I would! check my album maybe I can get one in there!

side note!!! I got protein powder to make shakes with...thats how I will get my extra calories!!! annnnnd an added bonus is I am now upping my protein intake like a good girl!!!! lol!
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I noticed a bit more loss right in the beginning - so many foods I couldn't eat and my mouth was so sore for a while.

But it didn't last, lol.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    lol, thanks for the advice ya'll. i really need to go for it
  • ackeebee
    Options

ok noted. i will definitely get them. just undecided if i should stick to my installation appointment this weekend of defer it to a month's time. due to my work schedule i can only see the ortho on a saturday and their office is only opened one saturday each month.

do you find your ceramic braces very obvious? this is one of my major concerns that they will look hideous lol. i need them for 18 months however as advised before, i will be getting the lower arch first and the upper arch 2 months later. i am looking forward to it on one hand and on the other i am abit scared lol

Just do it and dont put it off..isnt that why we are in out thirties getting braces...becasue we put it off too long!!! lol!

no they are not really obvious..I think they are kind of cute!!! If I knew how to post a pic to the thread I would! check my album maybe I can get one in there!

side note!!! I got protein powder to make shakes with...thats how I will get my extra calories!!! annnnnd an added bonus is I am now upping my protein intake like a good girl!!!! lol!

to be honest i have always thought most people look cute in braces so you might have a point lol.

i have checked your page but all the pics i could see seem to be without braces (unless i have very bad eyesight or they are really invisible). in fact, i dont think you needed braces at all :-)
  • ackeebee
    Options
    i see the pic now. they look great on you!
  • KellyShredFit
    KellyShredFit Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Best thing I ever did!! I got mine off 2 years ago, and LOVE my smile!! I was trying to lose weight during that time, so having braces was a definate plus! You do eat slower and there for feel full earlier into your meal. We should all eat that way anyway, yes?

As far as pain, when you first get them on, you will be very uncomfortable. Teeth will hurt, and the inside of you lips will feel like they have been slashed by razor blades (wax helps, but the less you can use it the quicker your mouth with toughen up and heal. ....) That said, after the first week or two, you will be fine. My general rule of thumb was after each adjustment I would be uncomfortable (not in excruciating as everyone told me it would be, and I had a lot of movement) for 3 days. Three seemed to be the magic number and during that time I would eat less as well.
    Feel free to friend me, and correspond during your journey with them on! :smile:
  • jennabellaxoxo
    jennabellaxoxo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    i see the pic now. they look great on you!

thanks doll! and good luck with yours!!!!
  • ackeebee
    Options
    i got my braces on my lower teeth yesterday!
  • lrd2010
    lrd2010 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I stopped biting my nails when I had my braces as a teenager! Too darn sore!

Didn't lose any weight though, just found marshmallow sweets instead :D
  • ackeebee
    Options
    it's now 24 hours since i have had my lower arch done and i must say so far it hasn't been too bad. i can eat on the right side of my mouth but anywhere is is abit uncomfy. i am still eating through it though lol. when i am not trying to eat anything, i dont experience any discomfort.
  • adams4101
    adams4101 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Just found this page, I got my braces on 3 days ago. I haven't eaten much of anything. Any advice on low calorie snacks. The only things I can seem to think of are ice cream, and mashed potatoes. Those are too high in calories. My teeth are a little sore, but my cheeks are way worse. I don't eat much, even when I can because I have a mouth full of wax and I have to take it out each time I eat and then put it all back in, which sucks. Then when the wax isn't in, my mouth hurts too bad for me to eat much, plus the fact that I have to eat slow and cut up everything. Besides the discomfort, I have extreme issues about stuff being stuck in my teeth. I cannot stand it, even before braces. Now it is way worse. I am thankful for the less eating part, because I do have about 23 more lbs to lose, but I just wish I wasn't so aggravated all the time.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Apple sauce, yogurt, mashed cauliflower, cottage cheese, soup, protein shakes and lots of water. Get a water pik! Your cheeks will toughen up in a couple weeks, just keep your mouth rinsed well with warm water or warm salt water. Try not to use full strength mouthwash more than once a day, over use can kill the good bacteria in your mouth and cause thrush. Good Luck!
  • ackeebee
    Options
    well it's now 5 and a half months since i had my braces fitted and so far so good. regarding weight loss, i only noticed a small loss within the first week of braces as i was still getting use to it lol. since then, though i have had tenderness for a couple of days after each adjustment, it has not affected me that much.

agree with the previous poster, a waterpik is a great piece of kit to have
  • kenzerina
    kenzerina Posts: 3
    Options
    Okay, story of my life.

I was 145-150 before my braces.
    After I was 125-130.
    This was over 1.5 months.

I mainly ate oatmeal and bananas, lots of water, and lots of tea and soups in the first two months of braces.
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I think it would depend on your current diet and your view of your teeth. If the things are "glued" to your teeth then sugary soda with colouring (e.g. cola) might result in two-tone teeth when they're removed, likewise with coffee and tea (and if they are loaded with extras like sugar/cream that'll be a reduction in calories). Things like toffee may result in a piece of wire digging into your cheek/gums, so you might start avoiding some food.

Unintentional weight loss and/or not consuming enough (including larger calorie deficits than aiming for) due to soreness/chewing difficulty... smooth peanut butter can probably be consumed using just the tongue and roof of the mouth as could other foods that don't really require the use of teeth.
  • ackeebee
    Options
    Okay, story of my life.

I was 145-150 before my braces.
    After I was 125-130.
    This was over 1.5 months.

I mainly ate oatmeal and bananas, lots of water, and lots of tea and soups in the first two months of braces.

were you only in braces for 1.5 months or did you mean years?
  • cutiekaren
    Options
    I just found this page. yay. :D

Anyway, so i just got braces 4 days ago (for the second time around, first was when i was in junior high but it was a failure, long story :P) so i decided to get it now (and im 31) so i don't get self conscious as my bite had changed through the years and lower became a tad crooked resulting from the first failed "attempt".

So far, I've been taking painkillers to ease the pain haha. I have the ceramic braces on now, both upper and lower. Been eating mostly soups, even infant prepared meals like gerber or cerelac. LOL. And yogurt, jello, steamed fish, the likes. My first day was so bad I was masticating the food trying to eat beef with the roof of my mouth and tongue -- like a cow. hahaha. Next day i had mouthsores all over so that was the end of it. :p

So i guess its really inevitable. weight loss is bound to happen, which is a bonus. I need to lose 15 pounds anyway. LOL. Goodbye junk and anything fried. haha
  • Lewisgrl23
    Lewisgrl23 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Helpful explanation!!
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I had my mouth wired shut after jaw surgery when I was a teenager and gained weight -- course, back then I lost it again as soon as I was able to get off the couch and start moving again, but my point is it still has more to do with intake and activity than the appliances themselves. Sure, some braces hurt like heck (I had to have the extra strength rubber bands - you know the ones that are 14 loops all attached to one another holding the wire in), spacers in the back a couple times, etc. my mouth was in pain for almost 3 years but you do get used to it after a while.

If you're drinking milkshakes and eating mashed potatoes because you can't chew and not moving around because you hurt, you could put on a few.
  • roxymiller716
    roxymiller716 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's quite possible. I've been in metal braces now for one month and have lost 10 lbs. I knew I would lose, due to the fact that I eat FAR less than I used to because it's so hard to clean the braces. Not only do I eat less, but I don't eat anything that will be troublesome to clean, such as salads...I only eat twice a day now and NO snacking. Even though I eat twice per day, only one of those times could actually be called a meal. The other time I may just have applesauce or something.