Mushroom, butternut squash and basil soup

Raclex
Raclex Posts: 238
As winter had definitely set in, here's a great recipe that will warm your heart :-) You can modify to your taste and it's veg. if you substitute butter for olive oil ...

1 table spoon of butter (I substitute with olive oil)
1 cup of chopped onions
1 cup of chopped carrots
2 cups of mushrooms ( Cremini mushrooms as they are bolder and nuttier in taste)
2 cups of chopped butternut squash
4 cups vegetable broth
Fresh basil leaves (add to taste)

In a large pot add 1/2 olive oil, butternut squash and carrots and cook approx. 10 minutes on med-high heat until tender. Add the rest of the olive oil as well as the onions and mushrooms. Cook for another 5-6 minutes. Add broth and let simmer for approx. 10-15 minutes to let flavors really set in. Let cool for a few minutes.

Add soup and basil leaves (to taste: I add approx. 5 basil leaves per cup-250 ml) to blender and mix for 6-8 seconds, until well blended. You can mix less if you prefer chunks.

I've also tried it with 2 cloves of garlic and it was great!

Enjoy!

The nutty 'earthy' flavors of this soup is perfect for the winter months... And different than my weekly broccoli-cauliflower-leek soup :-)

Replies

• knottygrandmav
    knottygrandmav Posts: 6 Member
    Sounds awesome- thanks for sharing. I love that Costco has the butternut squash already cut up - and anything with basil is good... :happy:
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    TY! Looks very yummy, and combines a lot of my favorite foods.
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    yum!
  • Canonoch
    Canonoch Posts: 120
    I'll try it
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    What a fabulous recipe. . I look forward to trying it out really soon! Thanks:flowerforyou:
  • SisterC
    SisterC Posts: 121 Member
    This sounds so delicious; thanks for the recipe!
  • Thank You ..... I look forward to trying it...... Sounds great for a winter dish......
  • clariced
    clariced Posts: 1 Member
    This recipe looks great!! Thank you for sharing. :smile:
  • SugarNtheRaw
    SugarNtheRaw Posts: 191 Member
    This sounds AMAZING and I'll be trying it soon, Thanks lovely!
  • EllaA26
    EllaA26 Posts: 48
    yum! saving for later!
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    bump
  • dorbell
    dorbell Posts: 8 Member
    Just joined today, and this looks like a yummy recipe to start with as the forecast is COLD this week. Thanks!
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Sounds awesome- thanks for sharing. I love that Costco has the butternut squash already cut up - and anything with basil is good... :happy:

You're right because you need arms and wrists of steel to peel and chop a butternut squash! LOL..
  • I have to try this. Sounds good.
  • Clara
    Clara Posts: 88 Member
    bump