husband Help

Options
So do any of you have husbands that you wish would support you a little better in your weight loss efforts by means of maybe trying to loose weight too. My husband is starting to get to big for me to wrap my arms around and needless to say that bothers me. I know he has put on about 35lb ssince we started dating about 6 years ado and I myself have put on about 40 but I was also pregnant in there.

Any ideas to get him onto the health bandwagon? I can't seem to even drag him to the gym.

Replies

• tnshortcake
    Options
    The best way I've found is by example. Don't say a thing, just live it.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I agree! My husband sees how great I am feeling and looking, and now he is talking about losing weight. Of course, he drops it so easily when he wants to!
  • kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    By example.

My husband saw me doing Insanity and eventually joined in himself.
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    i've been lightening up a bunch of my husband's favorite foods ... skinnytaste.com has great lightened up recipes of popular dishes! also, when i'm at the gym, he's been going to play pick up basketball. i can't get him to the gym, but i bought him a pair of basketball shoes for christmas and he got so excited and asked if he could play 3x/week ... YEP!
  • empc
    empc Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Be careful about what you buy at the store. Cut out buying the candy, cakes etc. Slowly start cooking healthier. Take him for a walk, to a park. Work things into your lifestyle that are healthier and He will be none the wiser. Good luck!
  • TriciaZ944
    TriciaZ944 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    He is going to have to want to make a change you can't force it. I've run into same issue and I've tried everything. What I've found is I lead by example, I don't buy junk food, I try to keep the meals healthy, and invite him to workout with me but again until he wants to make a change it doesn't matter what you say, do, bribe etc. I feel for you I know it can be upsetting and frustrating because you want him to be healthy.
  • Usbornegal
    Usbornegal Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    First off, he has to be ready and he has to believe it is his idea. Then you need to figure out what his interaciton style is, and use that to communicate with him.

For example, my dh does not want to be left behind, wants to know what I'm doing and wants to be where I am. So I started going to the gym, let him know to just say so if he wanted me to add him to the membership. Then I started going 3 to 4 times a week when he was at home, left behind. Then I got him a session with a trainer who really made him feel like he needed LOTS of work, so we got him into training sessions.

Later on, I finally talked him into getting a good physical, and the doc told him he had high cholesterol and blood pressure. Then it became HIS idea to lose weight and get healthier.

So think of what kind of guy yours is, what motivates him, who he listens to, and encourage him in a healthy direction. But it NEVER works to tell him lhe needs to lose weight.

Best of luck here!
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    My husband will not get active. He is blessed with that "eats what he wants and doesn't gains pound" gene. But he is VERY unhealthy. Smokes a pack a day, drinks energy drinks, eats crap, but there is nothing I can do to convince him to start exercising. He hates even walking with me to the grocery store in the summer ( its 7 min from our place walking so I refuse to drive on a nice day).

I have given up. I want to be healthy and am doing it for me, I have to wait for him to WANT to be healthy and do it for him.
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Just read a couple of posts, but by example is working for me!
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Sadly, unless he wants to do it, there isn't anything you can really do that won't alienate him. I would lead by example and hopefully when he sees your results, he'll be inspired to follow in your footsteps. (((HUGS)))
  • CHEFCH♥ZZ
    Options
    just like most of us, he'll get healthy when hes ready not b/c you say so. do your thing.....and support him no matter what.
  • Jferg69
    Jferg69 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I joined this site because my wife did, I think the support we give each other is great.

P.S, you look great....
  • MaudeBeige
    Options
    When I started at the end of August hubby wasn't interested AT ALL. I tried to convince him a few times but he wasn't interesteed... Not at all! Took him about 3 weeks of watching me weigh in twice a day, every day, weighing everything that passed my lips... ... ...

He still won't exercise in any form that I think is exercise BUT... He is losing weight, not falling off the wagon as hard as I did over Christmas, coaching an under 7 rugby team on Sundays... ... Every little counts! I looked at him last week for the first time and was pleasantly surprised at how much he's lost.

He really was behind me and what I wanted for myself so was willing to give up on the daily red meat chunks - especially when I cooked them for him and ate chicken breast!!! He's also eating more veggies now... Raw and cooked.

Good luck!

In-box me if you need to vent - I can relate!
    x
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    The best way I've found is by example. Don't say a thing, just live it.

^^^ This! :heart:
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Suggest a walk together after dinner. Tell him it would be more fun for you if he joined you. A lot of times my husband and I take the dog for a walk after dinner and leave the kids at home doing homework. For us it is usually one of the few times we have to connect without interruptions from the kids.

Try to serve healthier meals to him when at home. You cannot control what he eats when he is at work or away from home but at home you have that option.

Not sure of your age but it seems like most of our friends hit their 40's and they started to "try to run away from middle age".

Hope he sees the light and joins you in your quest for better health.
  • abitzan
    abitzan Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I joined this site because my wife did, I think the support we give each other is great.

P.S, you look great....

Thanks! It takes lots of hard work and I will be leading from example and hopefully one day he can join on my bandwagon. Maybe when I can beat him at something.

At least he has been at the finish line for all of my races with a smile and my water bottle.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Have you tried nagging him?

If that doesn't work, introduce him to your personal trainer...
    963733A2-orig.jpg
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Trade him in on a newer model heehee
  • melliebee
    melliebee Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Mine was quite unimpressed with my weight loss initially, complaining that he misses the junk im the trunk. Lol. But I stuck with it and now he does push ups and sit ups, or hits his speed bag while I do turbo. Guess he realized he couldn't beat me so he joined me! :)
  • abitzan
    abitzan Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Trade him in on a newer model heehee

Yeah that would be a great idea. Problem is I have already broken this one in so I don't want to trade him in just yet. :laugh: