Looking to lose 140 pounds -- And completely overwhelmed!

Options
Hi, I'm Alli. :) I'm a young adult, and I'm 5'6" and 270 pounds. I've struggled with my weight since the age of 10, but I've been gaining a LOT of weight recently due to frequent binge eating. I'm so humiliated about my weight. Sometimes I don't leave the house because I'm so ashamed. I'm really determined to change my ways and lose all the weight - and gain a lot of health knowledge - in 2012.

Here are my "before" pictures. I'm really humiliated to be posting these, but this is what I've made of my life.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2d9u2k1.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/vq6qyw.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/r7n190.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/35848xd.jpg

Is anyone else wanting to lose 140 pounds or so? It feels like a huge goal, but I'm sure that we can do it if we all ban together!

Replies

• carlos1989
    carlos1989 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    hi alli,

Im carlos... dont let it overwhelm u... just takke it one day at a time and everyday make the choice to be better, to eat better, to exercise even if its just walking for a half hour at first.... i'm 5'10" n at one point weighed 254 lbs but ever since i decided to take it one dayy at a time and at least exercise for a half hour a day at least 4 days a week i have lost in just the past 3 weeks lost 7 pounds and am down to 237 pounds just with eating smaller portions, cutting soda, and jogging/walking for a half hour a day... you can do it... just take it one day at a time :)
  • PurpleCoookie
    Options
    hi alli,

Im carlos... dont let it overwhelm u... just takke it one day at a time and everyday make the choice to be better, to eat better, to exercise even if its just walking for a half hour at first.... i'm 5'10" n at one point weighed 254 lbs but ever since i decided to take it one dayy at a time and at least exercise for a half hour a day at least 4 days a week i have lost in just the past 3 weeks lost 7 pounds and am down to 237 pounds just with eating smaller portions, cutting soda, and jogging/walking for a half hour a day... you can do it... just take it one day at a time :)

I agree with all of this, my huge goal was about 165 but had already burnt off about 30 lbs. I make mini goals like my ticker here, losing 39lbs will get me under 300 and I'm almost there. Alli, don't let it overwhelmed you, just take it one day at a time. I felt the the same way, I wouldn't leave my house for anything but now things have to change. I'm 20 and should be enjoying life not running from it. Find things you like to do will help you get started on your goal.
  • rougette66
    rougette66 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Hi Alli,

I honestly think that you can lose every ounce you want and deff think that it will truly be a glorious moment. I recommend making small goals, like losing 5/10 lbs a month, 40/40 split for carbs and protein, 10 for fat. Reward yourself every time u reach a small goal it'll keep u motivated. I hope you reach your goal :D
  • meg0013
    meg0013 Posts: 102
    Options
    don't be overwhelmed. like someone said earlier, try for smaller goals at a time - maybe just trying to eat better and smaller portions, exercising daily, etc.

i started off at 5'7 and 250+ lbs last december. now i'm 165 lbs and 10 lbs away from my goal weight. if i can do it, i'm sure you can too.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I know that getting healthy - especially when you have so far to go - is a huge undertaking, but you CAN do this and joining MFP was a great step in the right direction.

Here is a bit of advice that I generally give people who ask based on what worked (works) for me:

1) The quality of your calories - whether 1200 or 2000 - really does matter, not only in how it impacts weight loss, but how it impacts your overall health. Filling your body with NUTRITIOUS foods is just as important (if not more so) than just staying within your calorie goals.

2) Find a kind of exercise you enjoy and do that until you build the habit of exercising because you are less likely to skip working out if it is something you enjoy. Then start incorporating new things - you not only will work new muscles, but you may find new things you enjoy.

3) Eliminate temptation. If you are an emotional eater, don't keep junk food around. If it isn't available, you're less likely to binge on it.

4) Indulge cravings... sensibly. If you are dying for chocolate, have some, BUT... try to find the healthiest option (for example, one small square of dark chocolate, or make some hot cocoa with some milk or almond milk, cocoa powder, and stevia, which is a natural no-calorie sweetener) and keep the portion small. If you completely deprive yourself, you're going to binge. If you are sensible about things, you won't feel deprived.

5) Drink lots of water. It helps in so many areas. Yes, it does help with weight loss, but it also helps your body function better, flushes out excess sodium, keeps you feeling full longer, and the list goes on and on.

6) Don't skip meals! Eat breakfast in the morning to fuel your body and get your metabolism going. Have a mid morning snack (fruit or nuts are good, or maybe some yogurt). Have a sensible lunch. Have a mid-afternoon snack (I am a huge fan of baby carrots and will eat several servings a day - they are so crunchy that they are really satisfying). Eat a nutritious dinner in a sensible portion. Don't go for seconds. Have a glass of water before and after and then wait 20 minutes after you are done eating. If you are still hungry, have a piece of fruit or some extra veggies.

7) Don't give up! If you stumble or mess up one meal, one day, or even for a whole week, just start over.

8) Listen to MFP. If it gives you a calorie goal that is a lot higher than other people's - LET IT! A heavier body requires more calories to function and MFP will give you the deficit you need to lose weight steadily and in a healthy manner (not more than 2 lbs/week). Don't try to eat 1200 calories if MFP recommends more (including at least a decent chunk of your exercise calories) unless specifically advised (and monitored) by a doctor. That isn't enough for most people and you can't get adequate nutrition on it.

9) This is the motto I go by:
    EVERY CHOICE YOU MAKE ABOUT WHAT YOU PUT IN YOUR BODY AND HOW YOU MOVE YOUR BODY WILL EITHER PUT YOU ONE STEP CLOSER TO GOOD HEALTH OR ONE STEP FURTHER AWAY.

I hope this helps and I wish you tons of success on your way!
  • stang41992
    stang41992 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Good for you deciding to make this life change! I would like to suggest you not say you want to lose x amount, try to think of it in 10 pound increments. Think "I would like to lose 10 pounds in the next 2 months." Reward yourself when you meet that goal and then move on to the next goal. This will help you so much. It helps with not getting overwhelmed and you feel accomplished instead of thinking "I need to lose x amount of weight and I haven't even made a dent in that! I'm a failure!"
    Good luck with your goals!
  • zipnguyen
    zipnguyen Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    DO NOT BE OVERWHELMED. You are letting the huge number mess with your head.<
    trying not to sound rude, but motivating.

Take it one-pound-at-a-time. One week at a time. Get educated and get absolutely shredded.

I know, I've done it. It takes time to change your physique. I've answered many questions via PM and in my forum thread, which can be found here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/403233-lost-96lbs-and-made-top-10-in-physique-contest

And feel free to add me. Everyone needs support and to support others.
  • Cheryoze
    Cheryoze Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Alli,

In 2005 I weighed the heaviest ever. I am only 5'2 and stopped weighing myself at 184 lbs. I decided I had to do something and am happy to say that I have lost 50 lbs. I am on here today because of a lifestyle change. I continue to need the encouragement to help keep it off, stay motivated, get new ideas and that pesky last 10 lbs I want to lose but don't know if I ever will. So long as I stay active and have healthy eating habits I have accomplished my goal, one lb at a time. Slow is best and you will get there. Six years and counting for me and I'm so glad I made that change in my life. Best wishes.........:happy:
  • msjamartin
    Options
    Every day will present new challenges and every choice you make can be one toward success. I've done this and you can to. Set a goal, make a plan and go for it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/msjamartin
  • Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Don't let yourself get overwhelmed. I need to lose about the same as you, I set my first goal as 10% less than my starting weight, to me, it's less depressing to say I need to lose 28 pounds instead of I need to lose 135 pounds, then as I reach each 10% goal, I plan on resetting the goal to be 10% less than that weight
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I have about 70 lbs. more to lose, but I only set my goal for 10 - 20 lbs. at a time. It's a psychological tactic to make it seem less daunting, plus I have noticed that those mini-goals really DO make a difference. A 20 lb. loss can mean another size down, or just simply feeling better walking and getting around.

When I joined here in October, my eating habits were SCARY! I ate almost continuously from 7 pm to 2 am. Some of my food choices weren't awful, but others were making me pack on the pounds. I still have insomnia some nights that makes it hard to not eat for all those hours, but something clicked, and I would say other than an occasional binge, my eating is controlled.

I know the fear and despair. I know you think you will be starving all the time. But, every journey starts with a single step. Set a goal, set a reasonable rate of weight loss (maybe a pound a week), and get started. Also, get some friends here to support you, and start supporting them. Add me if you like.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Congratulations on deciding to do this. That's the first step.

I'm a mom, so I'm going to say some mom-like things, such as: when I looked at your photos, I noticed you have great calves and very nice hair.

As for having to lose so much weight, I have lost 25 so far (over 2 years, slowly). This is going to be my year to re-focus. I would like to lose 100 more, but will be okay with 80 right now. my short-term goal is 40.

If I can recommend anything, I would say think of this as the beginning of taking really good care of yourself. It's not all about the weight, even though of course you want to lose it. It's also about treating yourself like you would treat a friend, who needs some compassion. It's about finding some things that make you feel good while you're on this journey. There's no right way to do it, other than healthful eating and moving more.

If you keep at it, the weight will come off. Don't think of it as 140 lbs. Think of it as a pound or two at a time.

Best of luck!
  • tikikris
    tikikris Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Alli,
    I'm so proud you have taken the first step toward healthy eating by joining MFP! As others have said, mini goals are the way to go. You CAN do this!!!
    :smile:
  • cthoma70
    cthoma70 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Like people have said, Its one day at a time. One little change at a time. Walk at a pace you are comfortable with, then after a week or so walk faster or longer whatever you can do. Push yourself a little for go longer by a few minutes. Make changes in you diet, if you got some food in your mouth and you dont want it, spit it out, I sitll do that. Research foods that are lower calories and eat those. Take you favorite food and try to make it healthlier. Some foods you will have to just stop because you wont be able to eat those anymore, but you are making yourself healthlier. Get friends who have lost a lot of weight look at thier dairies. You can do this!!!!!
  • stukawife
    stukawife Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I admit that I don't have far to go but just keeping track of what you are eating will make a huge difference. You can do it!!!
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Take it one day at a time, one pound at a time- about 22 months ago, that is what I did. I started slow, walking at a 2.0 on the treadmill and using the elliptical machine. About a week after that, I found this wonderful website and it helped me change my life! :) Log your foods, move your body, drink water- it will amaze you. Believe in yourself and I know amazing things will happen!
  • Twins2007
    Twins2007 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    First, Give yourself a big hug for starting this Journey...You are worth it.

Do not let the number overwhelm you...Start by making some SMART goals; You can find out how to write this on YouTube :)

Next, find all the inspirational people on MFP you can and send some Friend Requests :)

Being that you are an emotional-compulsive eater (i.e. binges) read all you can about the subject especially anything written by Geneen Roth (I am one myself...!)

There is a common thought out there that once you are thin you will be happy, but it is actually the other way around...

Everyday drink water, exercise (something you like!) and Journal, Journal, Journal.

Do NOT compare yourself to others, just think and act like the person YOU want to be :)

You CAN do this :)

Good luck!

E xo
  • flyawaybyebye
    Options
    Having lost 113 over the past year, my recommendation would be to do what you have to to start losing quickly. I know that flies against conventional wisdom around here, but the initial big weight loss will help motivate you to keep going. Cut the sodium out (no sodas, no chips, no canned or frozen food, no seasoning salts, etc.) to get rid of the water weight and reduce calories as far as you can right away. A few weeks on a very low calorie diet will get a bunch of weight off you right away, and you'll have a jump start on your goal. Then, dial it back to something you can maintain for a longer period of time. Focus more on diet right away, and save the hard-core workouts for once you've lost a little weight, so that you aren't gaining muscle while you lose that initial weight. You can gain muscle later (and you'll want to) but you will be more motivated to stick with it if you see big number drops at the beginning. Good luck!
  • pamelabc
    Options
    I know what you are feeling....I too have about 130lbs to lose. I have struggled for the last 25 yrs - I tell my husband that I'm twice the woman he married. lol I am really excited about this app - it really makes tracking your foods, exercise easy Hang in there & keep tracking your foods - I was amazed at how much I was eating. I'm on my 3 day & can tell a little difference already (not as bloated or stuffed). We didn't put the weight on overnight and it won't come off overnight but YOU CAN do this! We CAN do this! :) Do not tell yourself anything different. I agree with VergingOnVega...Set a goal, set a reasonable rate of weight loss (maybe a pound a week), and get started. Also, get some friends here to support you, and start supporting them. Add me if you like too.
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Hey try not to be overwhelmed, you are not alone. I have that much to lose and I am starting this journey. I have been on here a couple of months and have lost 21lbs so far, but whenever I try and think about how much I have to lose overall, it just swamps me as it is so daunting.

It makes all the difference just to think in terms of my next immediate goal. At the moment I am working towards saying I am 18 stone something - so I am just thinking about the range of being between 252 and 265 and that is attainable. slow but sure little changes to my healthy eating, gradual building up of my exercise, not going mad for it, just heading in the right direction.

You can do this and the suport you get from here helps a lot.