Any tips on evening snacking?

Options
HELP, I do really well during the day but at night when I'm watching TV and relaxing, I think I need to snack. I know I'm not hungry and I try to pick health snacks but I usually go over my calories this way.
Anyone else have this issue and what do you do about it?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    HELP, I do really well during the day but at night when I'm watching TV and relaxing, I think I need to snack. I know I'm not hungry and I try to pick health snacks but I usually go over my calories this way.
    Anyone else have this issue and what do you do about it?

Just budget some extra cals for the end of the night so that you don't go over your calories
  • lisajamieboys
    lisajamieboys Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I too find this time hard. I have worked hard all day, prepared dinner, cleaned, bathed and put the kids to bed and I finally get to sit down and relax.

Each night I have a Jarrah hot chocolate as my reward to myself for having a good day. Some nights I find I am extra hungry still so I haved two :)

Most people say keeping yourself busy is the trick, but for me this is my wind down time, and the only chance I get all day. I did start a new jigsaw puzzle last night and found that while I was busy putting it together my hands were busy, and it kept my mind busy and I had the best night sleep :)
  • MommaNa
    MommaNa Posts: 15
    Options
    Jolly Time makes 100 calorie popcorn packs...94% fat free...pretty good..crunchy...if you like spicy you add some chili powder...better than nothing. Skinny Cow makes small individual cups of ice cream too...I have to buy indiv. cups because I am an ice cream junkie...good luck.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Just budget some extra cals for the end of the night so that you don't go over your calories

^ This. Eat less during day, eat big at night (staying within your calorie budget), win.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    sugar free bubble gum. It is fun to pop the bubbles. You can chew and chew and burn some extra cal on the way. :)
  • summer827
    summer827 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I don't always snack, but my largest meal is at night. I probably eat about 45% of my calories for my evening meal. It's what works best for me...I was a nighttime snacker in a big way! Then I try to keep my hands busy (I like to knit, sew, quilt) and go to bed early if all I'm thinking about is snacking. (This truly happens less and less. I'm so happy when I realize I've gone long stretches without thinking of food). Lol. I DO eat if I'm truly hungry, but this is what has worked to break what was, for me, just a habit and not true hunger.
  • kkenny0146
    kkenny0146 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have found trying to drink a glass or two of water before snacking does the trick sometimes. But there are times that I am really craving something. On those nights where you know you will be watching TV and feel like snacking save up some extra calories.
  • SERinDC
    SERinDC Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I find if I have a snack between breakfast/lunch and then lunch/dinner, I end up feeling more satisfied by the end of the day. Sipping a cup of herbal tea while watching TV at night usually works for me. Fruit, nuts, and/or Greek yogurt are always good for a small healthy snack too!
  • domsmom720
    Options
    I have bought one of those 14 day teethwhitening kits. You can't eat with those strips in your mouth! Plus in the end I will have a prettier smile lol