Logging treadmill time...

Options
Hey all,

I just moved over from Livestrong and im trying to figure out how to log my time on my treadmill. The only entry I can find for "treadmill" is pretty generic. Do you just enter that time as walking/jogging? I've always assumed the treadmill calorie burn is a little less because the treadmill does some of the work for you. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

kathy

Replies

• Evelyn2050
    Evelyn2050 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    my treadmill tells me my calories ... does yours by chance?? I know it's not as good as a HR monitor but it's a good place to start.
  • elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I log the activity and then the speed (i.e.: Walking, 4.0). Try to get specific when typing food or exercise to log; it makes it easier.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I use heart rate monitor readings for everything. The calorie count here has become less and less accurate as my level of fitness has increased.
  • grantsmom08
    grantsmom08 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I just use what my treadmill tells me. I know it is probably lower than in reality of what I am burning because it doesn't factor in weight. I go with the treadmills number because I would rather shoot low than too high!
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor with any exercise so I will know the calorie burn. Does the treadmill show calories burned? I know it's not as accurate. You can also log into mfp using how fast you are going and time but mfp does show a higher actual burn.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    If you search "walking" "running" or "jogging" you get a variety of speeds.
    You can also add your own if you prefer to use the treadmill stats.

ETA -
    Sorry, I get what you are asking now, yes, i just log it as noted above.
  • kattygirl0499
    kattygirl0499 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. My treadmill does have a calorie counter but it's waaaay off. It said I burned 330 calories and Nike+ said 466. I ordered a heart rate monitor yesterday to help try to improve accuracy. I also read somewhere that raising the incline slightly helps make up for the fact that you're on the treadmill. I just like data (I do a lot of analysis for a living) but I want it to be accurate. : )

Kathy