Questions About Coconut Oil

Options
sarah307
sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
http://healthimpactnews.com/2011/80-uses-for-coconut-oil/

So I bought some organic coconut oil today because I want to reap all the amazing benefits in the link above ^^ I mainly want to use it to put in smoothies, as a hair treatment, and as a natural face moisturizer. I am new to using coconut oil so I have a few questions!

Who out there uses coconut oil ??
for cooking?
for beauty care?
What is the difference between refined and virgin coconut oil??
What benefits have you noticed once you started using it on a regular basis?

+ any other comments about your personal experience with it !

Replies

• live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    i use extra virgin coconut oil. great for cooking and baking. I've tried it on the ends of my hair, but too much makes it greasy. Kind of scared to try it on my face, but mix some with some lotion and you got a super moisturizer for the body that smells AWESOME!
  • sarah307
    Options
    Thanks! Yeah I am scared to put it on my face as well, but I have been reading a lot about it online and a lot of people said they use it on their face.. hmm?!
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I've used in for cooking in place of butter... I kind of swap out coconut oil and pure organic unsalted butter. It's good for holding up under high heat, won't break down as easily as evoo or butter. I also sometimes use it on my face, body and just a little in my hair... good stuff! Smells great too. I've put it on small cuts and things and it seems to really heal super fast.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Yeah I am scared to put it on my face as well, but I have been reading a lot about it online and a lot of people said they use it on their face.. hmm?!

Yeah, it's great on the face... I have not broken out even once. It is shiny though. It's great to use at night for bed.
  • sarah307
    Options

Yeah, it's great on the face... I have not broken out even once. It is shiny though. It's great to use at night for bed.

cool! I think I'm going to try it tonight before I go to bed :)

thanks for the info!
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I have an Aveda body scrub that I love. One day, it got knocked over and a lot of the oil leaked out, leaving salts behind. I picked up some coconut oil at a local shop, poured it in, and it worked like magic. In the future, I'm going to try making my own body scrub, since this simple substitution was so successful.
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I cook my eggs in it, makes them taste Yummy.
  • larsfromars
    larsfromars Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I cook eggs with it as well Yummy. I have very fine hair dry hair. It works
    better for me than any conditioner I've ever found. I work in with my hands
    an hour before shower time. Then regular shower with Shampoo. My hair
    stays under control... and feels awesome.

Terry
  • sarah307
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!

Has anyone used the REFINED kind on their skin??

cause I bought the refined kind and have seen in reviews on other websites that you can't use that kind on the skin....
  • jeninabilan
    jeninabilan Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!

cause I bought the refined kind and have seen in reviews on other websites that you can't use that kind on the skin....

I use organic coconut oil shampoo as well as use coconut oil as a hair mask once a week. I have dyed and bleached my hair a lot and have noticed a HUGE difference with coconut oil. It is fantastic for skin as well. I have been hesitant to use it for cooking because of the crazy amount of carbs.. but love the product as a whole! I also drink coconut water. yummy!
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options

Hmm, I've never read anything about that. I've used refined stuff on my face before without any problems.

My favourite thing to use coconut oil for is my hair. It's amazing.I just add a very small amount to the length of my hair when my hair is still damp and once it dries, my hair is incredibly soft.

I have put coconut oil in my smoothies before. And I mix sugar, cocoa powder, coconut oil, etc together and make little "brownie" things to snack on when I'm craving chocolate. I want to get unrefined stuff for that next so that I have a touch of the coconut flavour. Refined coconut oil doesn't smell or taste like coconut at all.
  • sarah307
    Options
    thanks for the info! It says right on the jar that it's okay to put on the skin, so I might try that.. I guess i'll just putting it everywhere hahaha
  • andreakay1127
    Options
    i use it as lotion after a shower. my skin feels fo soft and smooth i will never go back to regular lotion
  • jsv454
    jsv454 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I love coconut oil! I get the refined kind, because I can't stand the smell or flavor of coconuts, but I still want all the benefits.

On the body: I have never had any trouble putting it on my skin. I just pop it in the microwave to melt for a minute and then slather on straight out of the shower so it seals in the moisture. I only put it on my face at night, though, as it is a bit shiny.

As for hair, I have very strange hair-- it's very fine but very curly. Typical "curly hair" products are way too heavy for me, and I can't use coconut oil post-shower on my hair, but it works great as a mask! I try to do it once a week an hour or 2 before my shower. Really helps my ends, which tend to get gross.

For cooking-- haven't used it too much yet (I mostly use grass-fed butter or olive oil) but the few times I have used it, I have been pleased with the results. I do use a separate jar for cooking and beauty treatments, though! :)
  • jluera
    jluera Posts: 7
    Options
    I use it in place of lotion...a little goes a long way though!! I have a couple keloid scars that were pretty prominant but with regular use of the coconut oil they've become really small.
  • sarah307
    Options
    just made a smoothie.

1 medium banana
    2 TBSP organic coconut oil
    1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder

Let's see if this is really magic coconut oil !!