Carb needs for runners

Options
2»

Replies

• agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Just tossing out a possibility. Rather than specifically pointing at carbs, what is your overall caloric intake? If you are keeping at a deficit while running, that can definitely lead to heavy legs.

My MFP is set for 1690, but I don't always get there. I'm not a believer in eating back exercise cals either, so not sure if that may impact things...
    Well there's your answer. If you're running 16 miles a week you have at least a 1600 weekly deficit. Fuel your body.
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    But wouldn't I still need a deficit to lose some more weight?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

Yes, but sometimes having too big a deficit just leaves you with no energy. It's just one of the thigns you may need to play around with. For me to lose weight but still have energy to run, I had to keep a very small deficit.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    If you told MFP you wanted to lose weight, you already have your deficit built in. By not eating your calories burned from running, you're making that deficit bigger and your body is protesting because you're not giving it enough fuel.

[Edit to add - I looked at your food log, and I don't know if you're skipping meals or just not logging everything, but most days you're not even netting 1200. I think cals are your main problem, not carbs.]
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I usually don't net that much. I opted to not use the exercise calorie theory, just shoot for 1600. I'm going to try adding in a Lara bar and see if that helps.

Thanks so much!